.300 WIN vs .300 WSM?

Hi guys, I am fascinated by this forum. I want to someday practice enough to do some longrange (600 yard) hunting on Whitetail and maybe if the planets alighn perfectly Elk. Without starting a fight would you suggest a Savage 110FP 24" .300 Winchester Magnum or a 12FVSS 26" .300 WSM. Both guns being tuned (stocks,bedding and handloads) for the occasion. I am on a budget and wet behind the ears on this subject. Thank You for you time.

Plinker,
Believe it or not there is only one person who can make that decision. They are so close, why worry. Get one and start the journey. WSM does not have a belt, might be easier to reload for. WSM might be inherently slightly more accurate but difference may not be detectable. I have both - they are both great cartridges and Savage builds fine rifles. There are tricks to learn about loading and shooting the magnums, get into it and the guys here will help you along the way.
Good luck with your decision.

as everyone here has said so far, both are awesome cartridges. Both capable of long range hunting and both have the ability to be a very accurate cartridge. I have a 300wm and my brother has a 300wsm. My gun is in a heavy barrel pss and my brothers is in a sporter weight winchester. His seems to kick the same if not a little less in a lighter gun. So either cartridge will be good to you so it up to you. Alot of stuff has been killed with the 300wm and I believe alot of stuff is going to be killed with the 300wsm. There is a few advantages of going to the wsm in that it can fit in a short more rigid action, If you reload it burns less powder, and it might kick a little less rifle to rifle. I also think that you are right on track looking at the savages. But either way you will be happy.

On a budget?? Check out the savage stevens 200 in 300 win mag. I just picked one up for $279--it's piller bedded, has an adjustable trigger and weighs less than 7#'s. The guys over on the Savage forums and getting really good groups out of these guns. Hey....if you bought it for $279 and didn't like it how much could you possibly lose if you sold it a couple years later.....maybe $50-79----can't go wrong can you??!!

To me the bullet that I would want to use would be a factor.
You indicate that Elk hunting is a maybe, but even so if you
want to use a heavy bullet (200 Gr. or more) for Elk or long
rang accuracy, then I would lean toward the 300WM, otherwise
either one.

I have read a lot of stuff on here that the WSM's cant shoot the heavier bullets as fast as the parent long action cartridge. Example being 200g and 220g in the 300 WSM. Take up to much powder space. If you could have one done on a long action, I might go with WSM because you would then be able to seat the bullets out. I had a Ruger S/S in a 300 WM a couple years ago. I killed my first couple elk with it and a handloaded 180g partition at 3100fps. Flattened 1 spike at a little over 500 yards, and 1 cow. I dont believe the hype that the WSM Kicks less. I dont buy into that. Everyone on here knows that weight is a factor with recoil, if your pushing the same bullet, with relatively the same amount of powder, in a smaller lighter whippier rifle, I would almost bet the WSM is going to pop you a little more. I have actually shot a 300 WSM and a 300WM and I could not tell the difference, so... Either way you go, you will be a winner. If you pick the WSM, you could load up 180g AB's and have at it, or go with the 300 WM and load up the 200g AB's for some longer range work. I will never buy another savage. I bought one in a 270 WSM and it was a 2 shot rifle. I spent almost $200 on powder, bullets, primers, etc... and I could never find a load that would get under 1.25 inch consistently. I have never had that problem with a Ruger, Remington, or Winchester. THe worst part about it was that it would put 2 touching or .5" away, then just throw the 3rd shot to god only knows. Just my experience with the only savage I have shot. Good luck with whatever you choose, you really cant go wrong.

Thank You Gentlemen for your unbiased answers. I may go with the .300 Winchester Magnum, because I have experience with this cartridge. But, there are some gun shows coming to my area and if a good deal on the right 300WSM comes up, I may go that way. I will let you know. Thanks Again and safe hunting.

i have a stevens 200 in a 300 wm with muzzlebreak shoots great and took 2 caribou this last year also bought a 25-06 these are great guns rudy

The Savage "new series" centerfeed WSM mags can be loaded out to 2.965" from the reports. It will shoot the heavies just fine. I'll be getting one myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.