300 WM vs 300 WSM

KSB209

I tried searching but didn't find much. Are there any real advantages to either cartridge? I'm kicking around the idea of a new rifle in one of these. Already have a 300 WM so another one would be easy to load for but something different is always fun too

I would say either will do what you want; I had both but sold the WSM. I got 2800 fps with a 208 Hornady in the WSM with a 23" barrel and get 2940 with the same bullet in a 26" WM. If I were building, i'd likely go WSM with a longer throat but for factory i'd go with a WM. Both are great cartridges. My WSM seemed to develop a carbon ring worse than any rifle i'v ever had but that was maybe just a fluke.

I tried searching but didn't find much. Are there any real advantages to either cartridge? I'm kicking around the idea of a new rifle in one of these. Already have a 300 WM so another one would be easy to load for but something different is always fun too
I have three .300 WMs and two .300 WSMs. The advantage is relative and might depend on the intended purpose and sometimes personal preference. Having said that the .300 WM remains my go-to chambering for antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards.

I've had a 300 WM, and a couple short action magnums. - The 300 WM had no feeding issues, but some short action magnums do! - And I'd get a good factory gun instead of a build. - Have been dissappointed with some gunsmiths.
The 300 WM came first = If it aint broke - don't fix it!
IMR-4350 and whatever bullet! :D

300 WM ammo

300 WM brass

300 WM RIFLES
$$$ High to Low

SAKO makes TIKKA rifles. - I like their bolts and extractors!

Stainless, but in Black!
(I'd put it in a BOYDS wood laminate stock - with the Pachmayr Decelerator pad option.)

EXTENDED MAGAZINES!

BOYDS STOCK CONFIGURATOR for whatever rifle.

:D 'Just my 2-cents, that cost 6-cents to make.

Attachments

• TIKKA T3 BOLT FACE.jpg
    TIKKA T3 BOLT FACE.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 54
6.5 PRC :D

I have worked with both chamberings and if pressed would lean towards the 300 WSM.

The 300 WSM concept was inspired on the .404 Jeffery non-belted magnum cartridge which is shortened to fit a short rifle action and was developed by Rick Jamison in 1997-1998. His patented idea was used by Winchester that led to a lawsuit which he won.

I remember Rick working with his version of the WSM and it shot many powder charges into a tiny cluster. While the short fat concept in cartridges began with the BR cartridges in the 70s, the WSM cartridges perhaps began the lineup of short fat hunting cartridges. John Lazzaroni's Patriot was developed around the same time in1997.

The WSM has a SAMMI spec OAL of 2.8" which makes one think it would be horrible to setup with a long high BC bullet. I made a load for a friend's Browning A-bolt with that exact mag length. Using the 230 gr Berger with RL-17 it shot accurately velocity 2735 fps!

Speaking of accuracy. The new 1000 yd heavy gun world record was done by a 300 WSM:

6.5 PRC :D

I bought a 6.5 PRC Mossberg Patriot Predator, then put it in a Boyds stock, and I have yet to try handloads. - I'm working out of state. - I also have a stainless Remington Model 7 in 7mm SAUM in a Boyds stock and new DBM metal from PTG. - It had problems feeding with the factory M7 stock and floorplate config. - The new config has center feed magazines = no more problems.
I bought all of this including ammo, brass and primers before the 'plandemic and elect-shun' at their regular prices. - But the 7mm SAUM ADG brass was expensive.

Attachments

• 7mm SAUM2.jpg
    7mm SAUM2.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 57
  • 6.5 PRC.jpg
    6.5 PRC.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I would sale the 300wsm and get a 280ai or 7saum

If I was building I'd probably try a 300. Wsm. Owning both factory options, I like both but the 300 win mag was better set up. The accuracy thr 300 wsm has potential to boast is what would drive me to the 300 wsm. With adg making brass now, you have a good option for brass. On a long or medium action throated long the 215's would be moving 2800-2900fps which is plenty for hunting.