300 wm over 300 wsm

SamuelBerryhill308

I'm looki g at both these calibers in a new rifle and I was wondering is the gain that you get with 300 wm over a 300 wsm worth it or am u better offer just sticking to 300 wsm.i have a 300 wsm already and have brass and dies and everything to hand load for it.but I've been looking at stepping g up to a 300 wm but I would have to try and find brass and dies and maybe even try to find better suited powder for the 300 wm then what I'm already using in 300 wsm.either way I'll either be spending more money and brass,dies and powder for 300 wm or spend the same amount more for a rifle chamber in 300 wsm.im just trying to see if stepping up is worth it.i do know when looking for factory ammo if need be 300 wm is a easier to find than 300 wsm but 300 wm also has more felt recoil and I'm not sure how fun it will be to shoot because this will be a hunting/ long range shooting rifle.i appreciate any input thanks

I'm looki g at both these calibers in a new rifle and I was wondering is the gain that you get with 300 wm over a 300 wsm worth it or am u better offer just sticking to 300 wsm.i have a 300 wsm already and have brass and dies and everything to hand load for it.but I've been looking at stepping g up to a 300 wm but I would have to try and find brass and dies and maybe even try to find better suited powder for the 300 wm then what I'm already using in 300 wsm.either way I'll either be spending more money and brass,dies and powder for 300 wm or spend the same amount more for a rifle chamber in 300 wsm.im just trying to see if stepping up is worth it thanks
Have you looked into the 300 prc at all?

No I sure havnt.ive heard good and bad about it and trying to find something that reloading supplies will be easy to get if I change calibers but I havnt looked at anything for 300 prc

No I sure havnt.ive heard good and bad about it and trying to find something that reloading supplies will be easy to get if I change calibers but I havnt looked at anything for 300 prc
If I was building/buying a long action .30 cal And was planning on reloading for it, I would look at the 30 Nosler or 300 PRC. I think you are looking at CA's rifles. I doubt they have a 30 nosler, but I am pretty sure they have 300 PRC. There isn't much out there negative about it that I have read. If it is between the two cartridges you mention, I would stick with a 300 wsm. It will come in a short action which will be a little lighter and a shorter overall package with a shorter barrel than a 300wm. Both are great, you are splitting hairs.

If I was building/buying a long action .30 cal And was planning on reloading for it, I would look at the 30 Nosler or 300 PRC. I think you are looking at CA's rifles. I doubt they have a 30 nosler, but I am pretty sure they have 300 PRC. There isn't much out there negative about it that I have read. If it is between the two cartridges you mention, I would stick with a 300 wsm. It will come in a short action which will be a little lighter and a shorter overall package with a shorter barrel than a 300wm. Both are great, you are splitting hairs.
Okay ill look into the 300 prc and see what I can dig up.and yes I'm looking at christensen arms rifles and the two models I'm looking at both have same length barrels for either cartridge.and know I really like the 300 wsm as I have one in a browning A bolt 2 that is a 2005 model only down sides to the rifle is pencil thin barrel short barrel and when loading from the mag box the c.o.a.l is very short so can't get the full use of powder space.also I am a sucker for short action cartridges any ways all but one of my rifles is short action and I like the wsm family I have a 270 wsm as well

Are you a hammer bullet brother? LOL If so, you'll shoot light for caliber so the 300WSM makes sense. If you want to shoot non- hammers weighing 200-225gr the 300WM makes sense.
Yes sir I am I love my hammer bullets I've been shooting 152 hh in my 300 wsm at 3200 + fps I'm wanting to step up to the 166 hh but they are to long for my current 300 wsm mag box

I have three 300 WSM (kids guns), and currently two 300WM. It may seem weird to some I just flat prefer the 300WM to load for and to shoot. On game performance has been the same and velocity almost the same just the WM's have 2" on the WSM. I shoot 180's in all but one and it is a practice gun so I shoot 175 match bullets in it.

The only advantage to going WM over the WSM is if you plan on using 200+g bullets, the WSM just can't push them much above 2850fps while the WM is well into 3000+fps.
The PRC offers a 50fps gain when running the same mag box length of 3.7". This to me is not a reason to go to it.
If you want more performance, go Nosler or RUM. A 300 Norma Mag is even a better bet, but you need a rifle that will handle that size cartridge.

Cheers.

The only advantage to going WM over the WSM is if you plan on using 200+g bullets, the WSM just can't push them much above 2850fps while the WM is well into 3000+fps.
The PRC offers a 50fps gain when running the same mag box length of 3.7". This to me is not a reason to go to it.
If you want more performance, go Nosler or RUM. A 300 Norma Mag is even a better bet, but you need a rifle that will handle that size cartridge.

Cheers.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This is absolutely correct.

There is a negligible difference between the 300wm vs wsm and only comes into play with heavier bullets.
You can determine 99% of cartridge's ability by its case capacity. There is no substitution for powder capacity.

I have a 300WSM,308 Norma Magnum and a 300 Win Mag.All of them with 26" barrels.With a 180gr Nosler Accubond.I struggle to get 3000fps with the 300WSM.Also because it's a short action,you can't play too much with seating depth.The 308 Norma Mag can get 3100fps fairly easy and that case length gives you a generous amount of room to play with seating depth.Cases can be made from 7mag or 338 Win Mag,though just a tad short,but will work fine,if you can't find 308 Norma Magnum brass.Good luck trying to find a rifle chambered for it,best way is to have a rebarrel job.Then there is the 300 Win Mag.It has the biggest case and is quite capable of achieving 3200fps if pushed there.The big case however can be a hindrance if the rifle has a short mag box which many rifles do.As for recoil,flip a coin.It depends on a lot of factors.If you can handle the recoil of one it shouldn't be a big deal to handle the recoil of the others as long as you have a good recoil pad.Finding components these days seem to be an important factor in choosing a cartridge to go with.So also keep that in mind when choosing.