.300 Mag vs. .300 WSM

orbadger

I am trying to decide on which I want to be my next rifle but am at a road block with no clear answer. What is the difference between a regular .300 Mag and a .300 WSM? What is the benefit of the Short Mag verses the regular .300 Mag?

The wsm is shorter obviously, claims to have a little less recoil, more efficient especially with the lighter bullets then the big win mag. The win mag, especially if you reload, can push the 180-200gr bullets faster, and is a little easier to find ammo, and will likely be around until they take our guns away, or try to. I already have the big 300RUM, and a 300 winmag, so may just as well add the wsm to the collection.

I own 1 of each. I much prefer the 300wm. 300wsm is way to finiky for me. There is nothing the 300wsm cant do that the 300wm cant do better.

You can usually get the same speed out of the WSM with a little less powder than the win mag(depending on bullet), but that seems to be the biggest difference to me.

Biggest advantage to the WSM is barrel life. We are getting 2-3x or more barrel life on the WSMs compared to the Win mag. Those are not powder puff loads either. Some WSMs have gone over 4000 rounds at top level competition. No win mag has ever gone 2000.

the WSM shines with 210s and less. The factory rounds show the WSM actually beats the Win mag in those weights. Not by much and not enough to matter, but it does.

I have 5 WSMs. Been shooting them since they came out for hunting and competition and not finicky at all. They love MRP, H4350 and RL 17 in lighter bullets. Standard primers are the best.

The obvious difference is long action vs short action also.

BH

I know of several ibs heavy/unlimited guns in 300 win a lot more than I see in wsm and several of those are over on going on 3000 rounds, with the right chamber a 300 win mag will get you right at 2860fps with 66.5grns Imr4350 and a 210 berger through a 28" barrel and that's a pretty mild load. The wsm is best on a long action with .040-.060" extra throat but still will not keep up when loaded with the heavy weights. The wsm in my opinion is just a better hunting cartridge, but for multi-purpose the 300 win mag is gonna be your easiest, cheaper, best bet. I'm not biased I own both and like both but that's how I see it.

I know of several ibs heavy/unlimited guns in 300 win a lot more than I see in wsm and several of those are over on going on 3000 rounds, with the right chamber a 300 win mag will get you right at 2860fps with 66.5grns Imr4350 and a 210 berger through a 28" barrel and that's a pretty mild load. The wsm is best on a long action with .040-.060" extra throat but still will not keep up when loaded with the heavy weights. The wsm in my opinion is just a better hunting cartridge, but for multi-purpose the 300 win mag is gonna be your easiest, cheaper, best bet. I'm not biased I own both and like both but that's how I see it.

I agree with all that you said here.

Concerning factory loads, some fail to mention that the WSM is loaded to higher pressures than the 300WM to get those velocities, so you are measuring with a rubber ruler. If you load both rounds to the same pressure with 180gr. bullets & heavier, the 300WM wins.

I can see where the WSM could have slightly more barrel life, but to get double the life & be closer to a 308 in that regard than a 300WM seems very unlikely indeed.

Both are fine rounds, but the 300WM offers an edge for me at least.

I have many loads with these two shot head to head out of the same identical factory rifles. On average there is about 100 fps difference between them with the 300 win mag obviously the fastest with the larger case. I own both, like both and shoot both regularly. The 300 wsm shoots most loads well and is fairly easy to load for. Mine have not been finicky.

Danny Brooks won IBS Shooter of the Year in 2009 and the Nationals with a WSM shooting 210 Bergers at 2950 (F210s and H4350) and had over 4000 rounds down the tube when he won.

He had competed for years with the Win Mag, 210s, H4831, F210s and ran them the same speed. He never got over 1500 competitive rounds out of a Win mag barrel.

I have competed with both and I and others are getting 2-3X the barrel life with the WSM.

My HG WSM will run 210 JLKs at 2950 and my buddies runs 210 Bergers at 3050, but both are using MRP powder which is the go to powder IMO for the WSM.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.