300 Win. vs 300 WSM

They're both dandy. The biggest advantage to the 300Win, is it will push a heavy bullet quite a bit faster. If thats what your after, I'd go with a 300rum.

Velocity - Edge to 300 win mag. The 300WSM can hold its own until you get to the 200 grain + bullets.

Brass life - Hard to say it depends on what you read concerning belted VS non-belted cases

Barrel life - should be close, I would think with like velocities.

Range - Depends on use , Whitetails , Elk , Brown bear or paper .

The advantage of the 300 WSM is less precieved recoil . It's like getting pushed not punched .

Mike

I have a 300 WM and love it. Shooting 200 SMKs at 2750fps on a 26 inch barrel. Im hoping to shoot these faster but for now are good enough. I am going on 8 firings on this set of brass and probably are going to get more as primer pockets are still tight. Broz I'm one of Neales friends and you should come shoot with us this weekend. Let Neale or I know if you want to. -Jake

Velocity - Edge to 300 win mag. The 300WSM can hold its own until you get to the 200 grain + bullets.

Brass life - Hard to say it depends on what you read concerning belted VS non-belted cases

Barrel life - should be close, I would think with like velocities.

Range - Depends on use , Whitetails , Elk , Brown bear or paper .

The advantage of the 300 WSM is less precieved recoil . It's like getting pushed not punched .

Mike

Thanks Mike, It would be pushing a 210 Berger mostly on deer maybe out to 1000 and closer shots on elk. It will also be used for banging steel on weekends that is why we need barrel and brass life.

Jeff

I have a 300 WM and love it. Shooting 200 SMKs at 2750fps on a 26 inch barrel. Im hoping to shoot these faster but for now are good enough. I am going on 8 firings on this set of brass and probably are going to get more as primer pockets are still tight. Broz I'm one of Neales friends and you should come shoot with us this weekend. Let Neale or I know if you want to. -Jake

Hi Jake, This will be my sons rifle. He is getting the Long Range bug too. We are doing the show in Springfield on Sat and may look for a place to fill some doe tags on sunday. But I really would love to come shoot with you guys. Thanks for the invite keep me posted on the next time out.

Jeff

Broz,

If 210 Bergers are the bullet of choice then I would go with the 300 win mag. I tried 208 A-maxes in my 300WSM and IMO they were too heavy ( I sold the rest of the box to a friend with a 300 win mag and they're working great for him , I think he's getting 6 or 7 loads on his Winchester brass ) . I backed down to a 185 VLD and I'm getting 2990 ft/sec MV and I'm VERY happy with the accuracy.

MIke

i personally dont have experience with the 300wsm. i do however know that they are being used in 1000 yard benchrest comp. so the accuracy must be there. and i hear what has already been said, with heavy bullets they are a liitle down in velocity. i've heard that the bullet has to be set in the case deeper and takes up powder space. one cound chamber thier rifle with a long throat to elievate this issue.on the other hand my dad has 2 300 win mags,i have one and my brother has one, my uncle has one. they are a great caliber. as far as what everone says about the short neck,they shoot fine. the belted case, dont oversize your cases and shoot moderate loads and your brass will last.i have 6 or 7 loadings in some of mine. there are other calibers that have more "horsepower" but the 300 wm suits us just fine. barrel life should be 2500 + rounds, the world record holder at williamsport pa 1000 yard benchrest club was shot with a "improved 300 weatherby. he fired it with a barrell with around 3000 rounds through it. oh by the way the record is 10 shots in 3.200". jason

Last edited:
I have very little experiance with either so take these opinions with a grain of salt.

1st: I believe (as has been stated) that for up to 180's the WSM is the bomb. For 200+ bullets, the WM wins out but only in the velocity department.

2: Barrel life should be slightly longer in a WSM. Less powder is burned here. Velocities are very close but due to the better efficiency of the short fat case, higher velocities are achived safely with less powder. It is the amount of powder (among other things) that have a bigger effect on bbl life than velocity alone.

3: A wsm rifle will be lighter and more compact that the WM rifles due to the shorter action.

4: IMHO shorter fatter cases are less finicky and a wee bit more inherently accurate than longer skinny ones. Also shorter actions are more ridged. Please before you give me flack about the accuracy statement, I intend to meen this as one will find more powders in a broader spectrum of charges that will yield acceptable accuracy in a short fat case than a long skinny one.

All in all, if I were in the market to build a medium magnum 300. I would go with the WSM over the WM.

I have some experience w/ the wsm and from what I know

+1 on what Meichele said.

I will add that From what I have heard and read the Barrel life of the wsm is considerably better than the standard wm. It all depends on who you talk to, but I have not heard anyone with any knowledge on the subject try to say that they are equal barrel life or that the wm has better barrel life.

britz and meichele,

I agree on all points , my only concern would be that with the 210 gr bergers the velocity will fall off quite a bit. Hornady says max load at 200 grains gets you 2792 ft/sec ( call it 2800 ) and at 220 grains 2602ft/sec ( call it 2600 ) so it should run around 2700ft/sec compared to 2990 ft/sec at 185 grains ( difference of almost 300 ft/sec) . Neither of the 200 + grain loads are compressed and you may be able to eek out some more speed with a higher load but then you'd be pushing the cartridge and the life of the brass will suffer .
If Broz would be happy stepping down to 185 grain VLD's the 300WSM is the ticket.... the deer will never know the difference.

Mike

I have very little experiance with either so take these opinions with a grain of salt.

1st: I believe (as has been stated) that for up to 180's the WSM is the bomb. For 200+ bullets, the WM wins out but only in the velocity department.

2: Barrel life should be slightly longer in a WSM. Less powder is burned here. Velocities are very close but due to the better efficiency of the short fat case, higher velocities are achived safely with less powder. It is the amount of powder (among other things) that have a bigger effect on bbl life than velocity alone.

3: A wsm rifle will be lighter and more compact that the WM rifles due to the shorter action.

4: IMHO shorter fatter cases are less finicky and a wee bit more inherently accurate than longer skinny ones. Also shorter actions are more ridged. Please before you give me flack about the accuracy statement, I intend to meen this as one will find more powders in a broader spectrum of charges that will yield acceptable accuracy in a short fat case than a long skinny one.

All in all, if I were in the market to build a medium magnum 300. I would go with the WSM over the WM.

Exactly what I would have said!!!

Regards 300WSMMAD

I have loaded and shot the .300WSM, but have never owned one. I have owned a couple of .300WinMags (I have a Savage 112 BVSS now). I prefer the .300WinMag, for no other reason than it was here first. Ballistic's wise, the WinMag has been doing this for 45yrs. Nothing new about this level of performance. (Yawn) Don't try to sell me a "better" mouse trap that does the same thing as my ole' mouse trap.
For me barrel life is not an issue with a .300 Magnum. Not sure too many hunters or shooters will ever shoot their barrels out. I'm not much into short, handy, light rifles. I know some people like them and others need them because of their stature or physical limitations. This much power in too light of a rifle can be counter-productive to accuracy. Raw power should never be a substitute for proper bullet placement.
The WinMag is capable of extremely fine accuracy (.2-.4") with plenty of different powders and a wide range of bullet weights. It seems the mid (4350-4831) to slow (RL22,7828,H1000) range of powders work well. "Finicky"? not that I've seen. JohnnyK.

johnnyK,

I agree that if you have a 300 win mag not much need to change. However if you are shopping for a .308 magnum and don't need the big 200 + grain bullets the 300 WSM is a more efficient mouse trap .
I can run a 180 grain bullet at the same Muzzle velocity in my 300WSM with 63 grains of 4350 as the win mag can . But, it takes the 300 win mag 72 grains of 4350 to do it. BTW these numbers come from two Savages , a model 12 ( 300WSM) and a model 112 ( 300 win mag ) . Factory 26" 1:10 twist barrels.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.