.300 wsm or .270 winchester?

Most definately the 300 WSM ........
Just so much more cooler than the 270 Win .......

this is my gals 5th bull moose with a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM with 180 gr bullets at 3000 fps for best accuracy ......

recoil ?

from what I've seen if ya take off the frilly lace underwear and put some camo on ya won't notice any recoil ......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3r7OVWoec8

I think everyone overlooked that his max shooting distance was 250 yards, and only gave an opinion of the cartridges he mentioned...

For a while, I was debating purchasing a .300 RUM. But recently have realised that it is too much gun for what I intend to hunt for, and will be too impractial for hunting at ranges only out to maybe 200 yards maximum. I live in south/central Ontario, and the longest shot opportunities presented here are up to 200-250 yards. I hunt everything from whitetails to moose and would like to know which is better for these game types and ranges, a .300 wsm or .270 winchester. Any insight is greatly appreciated because I am looking to buy my first rifle

For that distance (and farther), a .308 Win would be perfect for both target and hunting, and for his first rifle. It is a very easy cartridge to reload for, factory ammo can be found anywhere, and barrel life is not much of a concern unless he plans on shooting 5,000-10,000 rounds.

A 7mm-08 would also be a good option. A .280 AI would be perfect. The old tried & true .30-06 would also be a good candidate.

For a while, I was debating purchasing a .300 RUM. But recently have realised that it is too much gun for what I intend to hunt for, and will be too impractial for hunting at ranges only out to maybe 200 yards maximum. I live in south/central Ontario, and the longest shot opportunities presented here are up to 200-250 yards. I hunt everything from whitetails to moose and would like to know which is better for these game types and ranges, a .300 wsm or .270 winchester. Any insight is greatly appreciated because I am looking to buy my first rifle

I have both chamberings in your list and they'll do well with the right bullet and of course with shot placement at those distances.

Having said that, my personal preference would be the .300 WSM with 215/230 Bergers esp. for moose size game.

Good luck!

Ed

Most definately the 300 WSM ........
Just so much more cooler than the 270 Win .......

this is my gals 5th bull moose with a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM with 180 gr bullets at 3000 fps for best accuracy ......

recoil ?

from what I've seen if ya take off the frilly lace underwear and put some camo on ya won't notice any recoil ......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3r7OVWoec8

WOW, congrats all around on a majestic harvest. The video was awesome, I particularly like the air coming out of the entry/exit wound before the bull finally expired. Thanks for sharing.

I have only hunted with a 30-06 and A 300 WSM to date. My 30-06 has killed everything I have pointed at, so has the 300 Win Mag which was a tack driver at long range (over 500 yards) using Trophy Grade Accubonds in 180 grain.

If I were to select between the a 270 or a 300 WSM, I would choose the 300 WSM, simply because it is a more versatile hunting rifle for all big game, especially if your needs change and you need to take longer shots on Moose for example.

If I were to choose a rifle to hunt with for shots under 250 yards on big game it would be the 30-06 hands down, because the ammo is really inexpensive and easy to find in Canada compared to the 300 WSM. but between the 270 and the 300 WSM, I would go with the 300 WSM all day long gun)

Happy Hunting!

Last edited:
I own a .270 and in your case I would get the boring, ammo available everywhere 30.06!!! What can't you kill at 250yrds cleanly with this cartridge?

Another vote for 30-06, more than enough power for what you are looking for, and flat enough for the range you are looking at also. Ammo easy to find, and if you are reloading you won't need magnum primers, which are hard to find. Cost of loaded 300 wsm ammo can come at a premium. I like the heavier bullets that you can get in a 30 cal vs the 270 for moose. Shooing past 400 yards is when the 300 wsm is going to be the choice over the 30-06

If you want rather mild recoil and a 30 caliber bullet at decent enough speed to kill well at moderate range, you should be looking at the 30-06. If you are thinking slide action or pump I'd go 308. The wsm is a lot more cost with little gain at your range and the 270 is a bit skinnier bullet which will not shock larger game as well as the 30 cal bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.