.300 wsm or .270 winchester?

Dave Howe

For a while, I was debating purchasing a .300 RUM. But recently have realised that it is too much gun for what I intend to hunt for, and will be too impractial for hunting at ranges only out to maybe 200 yards maximum. I live in south/central Ontario, and the longest shot opportunities presented here are up to 200-250 yards. I hunt everything from whitetails to moose and would like to know which is better for these game types and ranges, a .300 wsm or .270 winchester. Any insight is greatly appreciated because I am looking to buy my first rifle

I don't have a WSM, So I don't know what I don't know. I did have a 270 built to shoot the heavies. I sold it because I really wanted a 300 WM to shoot the heavies and after I got it I realized I couldn't hunt with both of them at the same time.

What are you leaning towards? I ask because at the end of the day I got what I wanted but it took 2 rifles and some $ to get there.

I like the idea of the short mag. I got an older Ruger that I may look to rechamber to a short mag.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters.
Shane

I have both. Got the 270 35 yrs ago and have killed so many moose, deer and black bears here in B.C. Then 300wsm came out I had to have one. Got a nosler model 48, nice gun. My 270 is a steyr mannlicher professional model. If you said I could only have one, it would be a tough choice but for me, most shots max 300 and more likely 150yds, i'd keep my 270.

Leaning more towards the .270 because I've had the opportunity to shoot one before and was impressed with the accuracy of it. The gun was a winchester model 70 (pre-64) and was incredibly accurate. But I know as well, my uncle has a Tikka T3 in 300 wsm and he really likes that gun.

I have no issues with recoil. I handled my unlce's .460 weatherby magnum with ease, as well as .45-70, .325 wsm and .350 rem mag. I have a more limited budget as I have to try and save money for college as well, so which of the two (.300 or .270) would be more economical?

I have a 700 Rem. Classic 270 Win., And a Kimber Montana in 300 WSM. I have killed many deer and several bear with the 270 Win. But since I got the 300 WSM in 2004. Partly because of hunting in fowl weather I like the SS Action & barrel with Fiberglass stock, I also catch myself taking my 300 WSM instead of my 270 Win. I consider a well built 180 gr. or larger bullet better for Caribou, Elk and Moose than 150 gr. .270 bullet. I have killed 1 Buck Whitetail with 180 Gr. Hornady SST, 2 Bull Caribou and a Bull Elk with the 300 WSM. Recovered only 1 180 Gr. Nosler partition bullet after penetrating about 4 ft. of elk and lodging in the opposite shoulder. To me the recoil between the rifles is a toss up. I have confidently carried the 300 WSM in Alberta and Newfoundland Moose hunting. No Bull, No Bang. Good Luck in your choice and Happy Hunting.

There is a middle-of-the-road option between those 2...The .30-06 Sprg. You get the .30 cal bullet, and the .270 recoil, along with a really cheap and readily available brass supply.

300 wsm for me, I have a GAP that shoots 1/8" groups and just bought a Kimber Ascent in WSM. I use my WSM for everything from antelope to elk. People ask me if that isn't ver kill for antelope but I have no more meat damage than lesser calibers I've used and I like the idea of using one rifle and getting good with it. Barrel life for a hunting rifle will likely be a non-issue if you are like me and only shoot a box or two a year at most.

The 270 Win tops out at about 2,800 ft lbs and the 300 WSM about 3,600 ft lbs. so this is not apples to apples. The 300 WSM has significantly more power (and recoil). It also has a much wider selection of bullets available, especially if you hand load. The 300 WSM also held the 1,000 yard US record for group size for a time so accuracy can be very good. The 270 is plenty accurate though. If you think you might have bear, elk and moose on the menu at times I would go with the 300 WSM. If you are more likely to be chasing deer sized game most of the time I'd go with the 270 Win.

.300 wsm has the same ballistics as the old .300 H&H magnum.

I believe .300 Winchester Magnum still holds the most 1000 yard records. But these were set with custom target rifles with 28-30+ inch barrels, not sporter rifles.

I agree if going on a trophy elk hunt that a 30 caliber magnum is an excellent choice. However, a .270 is still an excellent choice for the lower 48. I have killed deer and black bear with a .270 Winchester; deer and caribou with a .308 Winchester. Deer, baboon, Impala, Gemsbuk, Kudu, Diker, Zebra, Wildebeest, and 4 Warthogs with a .30-06 but would have taken any of those shots with a .270.

I did use a .375 H&H for the Cape Buffalo and Lioness, which is what I would use for moose.

But I would love to have a Pre-64 model 70 in .270 Winchester.

Good luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.