.300 WSM or .300 Win Mag

TORCHRIDER

Ok, I think I have finally settled on a .30 caliber magnum round for my long range build on a Stevens 200 long action.

The question now is which one? I don't particularly want a barrel burner or recoil like a .300 Weatherby class cartridge, but do want an accurate cartridge capable of 1000 yards.

I am leaning towards a .300WSM or 300 Win Mag. Let me know which you would go with or if you have other receommendations.

Thanks for your help with all my newbie questions! :D

Just thought of this. I do reload so factor that in.

Last edited:
300 WSM

1. Top notch accuracy on par with any other caliber at 1000 if not better than most

2. 2-3x minimum barrel life vs Win Mag

3. Same if not better MV up to 210s

4. Great brass without belt

easy to reload- Fed 210s, MRP or H4350 powder, Norma brass

What more do you want?

BH

Personally I would strongly consider the .300 Win mag for a few reasons. First of all, I have had very good luck with this caliber. Deer, elk, moose and black beer all taken with this caliber, over 30 animals total... not a one wandering off wounded. Many kills over 500 yrds, still has the energy to do it. Longest shot was a moose at 830 yrds and just killed an elk this week at 643 yrds, one shot.The 300WSM would probably give you similar if not identical results... so on to a couple other reasons.
Second, reloading data is more widely available for the standard .300 Win Mag, especially if you or your buddies have older manuals.
Third, availability of factory ammo. Enough said... you just went through the nation wide ammo shortage like the rest of us. It is a "military round" which also opens up the availability of "surplus ammo" for target shooting or emergencies.
Finally, if you reload, the brass can be found cheaper and more abundantly.

Hope this opinion helps. Have a couple buddies who really like their .300WSM rifles as well.
Either way, if you reload, try the .30 cal Berger 190 vlds out. I just shot a three shot group of these reloads at 500 yrds... 2.5 inches minus! That was out of my "stock" Remington 700 Sendero. The elk I just shot this week was my first kill with one of these guys. At 643 yrds it took out the lower lungs and busted both front legs almost clean off

300 WSM

1. Top notch accuracy on par with any other caliber at 1000 if not better than most

2. 2-3x minimum barrel life vs Win Mag

3. Same if not better MV up to 210s

4. Great brass without belt

easy to reload- Fed 210s, MRP or H4350 powder, Norma brass

What more do you want?

BH

+1...for less recoil and longer bbl life the 300WSM is the way to go for 30 cal magnums.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Any issue with the .300 WSM in a long action? I thought it would be a plus, giving me the ablity to load bullets further out. lightbulb

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Any issue with the .300 WSM in a long action? I thought it would be a plus, giving me the ablity to load bullets further out. lightbulb

Nope, no issues with the action . You will need to ensure the barrel is throated for the longer bullets so youre not jambing the bullet into the lands.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts