If I reform brass from say a 300 rum down to 30 28 Nosler, squishing the body down for a new neck tends to make it thicker. Plus the consistency of the neck can be off so I tend to turn them. I think your solution is better do you use ADG brass and neck up. I don't like to neck 28 Nosler, Nosler brass first because it's expensive and second I want to keep the brass separate for my 28 Nosler rifles. ADG brass would allow me to easily see a head stamp difference to keep the lots separate. That is if I go that route. I'm seeing a lot of good points from a lot of people here both pro and con for different cartridges. This is great!
Yeah if you reform down from 300 Rum into the body you will likely have to neck turn . I thought long and hard about setting up my reamer to turn necks but I was confident I wouldn't have to for what I was trying to achieve with ADG brass.

I'm probably the last person that should comment, give an opinion, on this topic, but I feel it would cause confusion and chaos.. So here it is.. *** are you people smoking? why on god's green earth are you guys trying to spit a 30 caliber, 212 to 215 grain pill out at 3,100+ FPS? Are you trying to shoot elephants at 2.9 miles? I have shot the 180 grain 300 RUM two shots and thought it was the most brutal SOB in existence. I have not heard of these other rounds. You all are telling me that there are more brutal rounds out there than the 300 RUM? *place a considerable string of cussing here* this is madness, UTTER MADNESS I say! I have a 300 RUM w/Muzzle brake I am trying to sell because I just can't see a use for it in my arsenal of calibers. it's only had 2 rounds through it and needs to go away, far-far away. Maybe some mid-western/plains guy will see my ad on gun broker and snatch the thing up. it does not need to be in my possession. all I will do is convert it into a really nice 338 Lapua Magnum long range hunter.

And that's why the 6.5 Creedmoor is doing so well. I wouldn't consider the 300 RUM a heavy recoiling gun in any platform I've used; including one that weighed under 8# scoped with no muzzle brake. Heck, I had a 5.5# specialty pistol in 300 RUM with a muzzle brake and anyone could shoot that without issue.

Last edited:
I think we understand you hate big 30s. I have to ask why you are posting in a thread where the OP is obviously interested in them? This kind of crap is getting old on this forum.
I was bringing a contrary opinion to these small field artillery shooters. I really do not care what others do. I just personally think I made a huge mistake by buying the 300 RUM. I have had/shot just about every over bored magnum 30 calibers out there. I found them of no use. truth be known I do not like any 6.5MM, 6MM, or 7MM calibers as well. I fix, buy, sell, and do what ever my clients want me to do. even my gunsmithing teachers back in the early 2000's had a distaste for my opinions. that is where I developed my "I don't care" attitude about caliber selection. you buy, use, shoot, enjoy your calibers and I will enjoy mine. BTW, the first post I made was not to be taken seriously at all. it was me just having a bit of fun with this crowd. big, heavily powdered mags are fun to shoot for me unless they are brutal.
Later tatters.

well Im pretty sure they do since they've been making the dies for 8 years!! But thanks anyway!
It may not have even been intentional but if it wasnt for a tighter neck from turning the 375 necks, I could have fired them in my chamber.

They make dies for literally HUNDREDS of wildcatters...but it's pretty big of you to accuse them of copying your wildcat (which btw, you weren't the first to make anyway)...

They make dies for literally HUNDREDS of wildcatters...but it's pretty big of you to accuse them of copying your wildcat (which btw, you weren't the first to make anyway)...
i said I didnt know if it was intentional. If i didnt think much of their design i wouldnt like mine either. if you have a problem with me just pm me instead of waisting forum time. Im actually a pretty reasonable guy.

I don't really buy into the 100 percent load density argument that equates the 300 PRC to be the king of the 30 cal. Run a slower powder like N570 or IMR 8133. I stuffed 86 grains of H1000 in my 30/28 Nosler and about the same in a 30 Nosler. It's at least 100 percent full. Compressed is about 110 percent according to books. Don't hear much guys complaining when shoots an edge with 92-93 grains of H1000 and around 95 percent fill. I haven't loaded for a 300 PRC, but I don't see it doing anything a 30 Nosler can't with correct freebore.

Nit picking the differences between the big 30's you've listed, is kind of like picking the fly schitt out of the pepper. Anyone of them will work equally in killing North American big game...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts