h2o-png.120015

Pulled this from another thread on here. Seams to me the 30 Nos and the 300 SM would be really close velocity wise.
30 SM is 98.4 grains h20 and I havent shot a Nosler but thats what the SM does.
96.5 was the S.I. design with 375 Ruger brass
capacity is not the only thing that determines velocity either.

Last edited:
What is the capacity of the 300 prc, 300 Sherman magnum, and the 30 nosler? I know the 30 nosler has more capacity than the 300 prc. Which would put the 300 SM close to the 30 nosler. Curious how the 300 SM is getting 3200 FPS with a 215, when the 30 nosler is around 3100 FPS with a 215 if capacity is within a grain of 2?
RIGHT?? ^^^^^^

RIGHT?? ^^^^^^
I guess that means you dont believe it
If you want to stop by and pull the trigger a few times over what ever chrono you want, ill give you $500 if it doesnt.
You can also reload the brass, check the primer pockets, and what ever other tests you'd like to perform. Do i run them there day in and day out. No. I'll also bet you you I can get 4 firings on Hornady brass at that velocity.
As Ive already stated, its a 28" barrel.

My 300 RUM does 3149 fps with a Berger 210 VLDH and 3174 fps with a Hornady 212 EDLX.

27" Krieger 5R bbl and a FB throat of 0.098" combined with a Wyatt's 3.825" box.
With what powder and how many grains?
I can push a 215 from my 300 Norma mag (26" barrel) to 3100 pretty easy with N570 but holy crap it takes a pile of powder, 92 grains!
I really like my 300 NM, but for sake of efficiency, if I were to do it over again I'd go 300 PRC, the Sherman version that is.

With what powder and how many grains?
I can push a 215 from my 300 Norma mag (26" barrel) to 3100 pretty easy with N570 but holy crap it takes a pile of powder, 92 grains!
I really like my 300 NM, but for sake of efficiency, if I were to do it over again I'd go 300 PRC, the Sherman version that is.
It takes about 85-86 grains N570 to make 3200 with the SM

Hornady 300 PRC brass is ~97 grains h2o. Nosler 30 Nosler is ~99, bertram is ~100, ADG is ~101. You can not fight physics. If feeding from a wyatt box magazine or less the 30 Nosler is going to almost match the 300 rum and beat the rest easily with 215s. If you do not mind single loading the 300 rum will begin to pull away. As you increase bullet weight the larger capacities are going to further distance themselves from the smaller capacities. These are facts. As far as opinions on what you should get, only you can decide.

I guess that means you dont believe it
If you want to stop by and pull the trigger a few times over what ever chrono you want, ill give you $500 if it doesnt.
You can also reload the brass, check the primer pockets, and what ever other tests you'd like to perform. Do i run them there day in and day out. No. I'll also bet you you I can get 4 firings on Hornady brass at that velocity.
As Ive already stated, its a 28" barrel.

basically just curious as are all these other folks!!

I purchased a Wyatt Extended Well Box - Remington 700 (LA) Oberndorf BDL with Extended Well (3.825 in) and was going to have the gunsmith open up the bottom like I've done before with a 270 WSM. Interesting though if I went with the 300 PRC Sherman improved or as I've learned it's called the 300 Sherman Magnum I may not have to use the extended well.
Be careful with that bottom metal on a high recoil rifle. Some will open up under recoil. I have had to change a few out to Hawkins or non oberndorf styles to prevent it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts