What is a fair amount per year? It could be 100 for some people and 500 for others

I'll put it this way I put close to 200 rounds through my 300 NM in the past 2 months, some people believe in just finding a load, shooting 3 or 4 times before the season, and then blasting away at animals way the hell out there..

I don't believe in this method, so I'm skeptical that
a RUM is really that beneficial for LR hunting where practice and precision are king not velocity.

If I burn up my 300 NM quickly I'll probably convert to the 300 PRC,

Practice and precision are king but you dont have to burn up barrels in RUM'S or Normas to practice. Good shooting skills can be taken from one rifle to the next.

Thanks for all your comments. It was a close race for me between the 300 PRC Improved and the 30- 28 Nosler but I decided on the 30-28 Nosler with a free bore that matches the 300 PRC. My reasoning was that I could come close to or achieve the 300 RUM velocity (at least with the 200 grainer) without burning as much powder and with slightly less recoil. Bullets will be the Hornady 200 & 212 Eld-x. Remington 700 action, 28" Proof Research Sendero CF barrel with a Christensen Arms side port break. I will probably top I with a Leupold Vx6 4X24X52 with a TMOA reticle.

Wanted to chime in with some info. on my recent addition of the 300 prc/sherm imp. I started out with the new smk 230gr& my starting loads were with re.33 85.6 grains,cci mag 250's@ 3.760" coal / 2.894"bto and easily reaching 3033fps five shot s.d.2- have 5 firings with the brass including the factory fire form. I also loaded up the new A-tip 230's with 82.6gr of v570@ 3.750" coal,cci 250's and I'm easily getting 3073fps 5 shot groups with s.d.4- both loads giving me 1/2 moa at 100yrds. I'm running a m24 contour bartlien 1/8 twist @ 28"- Last weekend I stretched its legs at the (arena- blakely, ga) and was making hit after hit on target at 2018yrds... and at sea level that's right at transonic with the a-tips G7 b.c. of 414...very easy spotting impacts,13lb gun with brake and is a pleasure to shoot! The extra 5-8 grains the sherm imp. provides truly makes all the difference in easily shooting 230 grain bullets in the mid 3000's without generating over pressure loads and blowing out primers& ruining your brass after one firing. I know I can get 6 re-loads out of my brass counting the factory load fireforming. I'm thrilled with the cartridge! I'm waiting on the 250grain A-tips to see just how far I can send a 30cal pill at sea level before going transonic. The 300 norma's got nothing on the 300 prc/sherm imp. And with the case capacity being just right with the 300prc/ sherm imp. it's not an overbore barrel burner and the low s.d/ e.s. should speak for itself... anything more is too much powder for me to put behind a 30 cal bullet. Too many issues arise from over bore cartridges burning 100 grains plus of powder behind that size bullet.

Wanted to chime in with some info. on my recent addition of the 300 prc/sherm imp. I started out with the new smk 230gr& my starting loads were with re.33 85.6 grains,cci mag 250's@ 3.760" coal / 2.894"bto and easily reaching 3033fps five shot s.d.2- have 5 firings with the brass including the factory fire form. I also loaded up the new A-tip 230's with 82.6gr of v570@ 3.750" coal,cci 250's and I'm easily getting 3073fps 5 shot groups with s.d.4- both loads giving me 1/2 moa at 100yrds. I'm running a m24 contour bartlien 1/8 twist @ 28"- Last weekend I stretched its legs at the (arena- blakely, ga) and was making hit after hit on target at 2018yrds... and at sea level that's right at transonic with the a-tips G7 b.c. of 414...very easy spotting impacts,13lb gun with brake and is a pleasure to shoot! The extra 5-8 grains the sherm imp. provides truly makes all the difference in easily shooting 230 grain bullets in the mid 3000's without generating over pressure loads and blowing out primers& ruining your brass after one firing. I know I can get 6 re-loads out of my brass counting the factory load fireforming. I'm thrilled with the cartridge! I'm waiting on the 250grain A-tips to see just how far I can send a 30cal pill at sea level before going transonic. The 300 norma's got nothing on the 300 prc/sherm imp. And with the case capacity being just right with the 300prc/ sherm imp. it's not an overbore barrel burner and the low s.d/ e.s. should speak for itself... anything more is too much powder for me to put behind a 30 cal bullet. Too many issues arise from over bore cartridges burning 100 grains plus of powder behind that size bullet.
Thats very typical of reports I've been getting and my own experience. I get slightly less velocity with the same 82.6 load, likely due to your 8 twist vs my 9. Thats a moderate load in mine and shoots extremely well. Ive been getting around 10 firings with that load.
Good work and keep us posted......Rich

I am very new to the 300 uber magnum class cases and have my first 300 RUM in my hands.. I will tell you this; if the gun had not come with a muzzle brake I would have ditched it/sold it. or rebarreled it to a 270 magnum wildcat. I have 19 pieces of brass, the 20th had a split neck from the factory. I am still thinking I need to not shoot this gun. I have shot this cartridge before Andy's Elk gun. My first thoughts of this gun/cartridge combo were: "why dear GOD was this cartridge invented!" It dislocated my shoulder. I am not a small guy, I held it tight to my shoulder, I had added the extra length I needed with a slip on recoil pad and spacers. I still remember the pain vividly when I think about it. What am I thinking ever thinking I could keep this gun in this cartridge? I will sell it if it hurts me too bad.

I am very new to the 300 uber magnum class cases and have my first 300 RUM in my hands.. I will tell you this; if the gun had not come with a muzzle brake I would have ditched it/sold it. or rebarreled it to a 270 magnum wildcat. I have 19 pieces of brass, the 20th had a split neck from the factory. I am still thinking I need to not shoot this gun. I have shot this cartridge before Andy's Elk gun. My first thoughts of this gun/cartridge combo were: "why dear GOD was this cartridge invented!" It dislocated my shoulder. I am not a small guy, I held it tight to my shoulder, I had added the extra length I needed with a slip on recoil pad and spacers. I still remember the pain vividly when I think about it. What am I thinking ever thinking I could keep this gun in this cartridge? I will sell it if it hurts me too bad.

Wow, this is a joke right? It's reminiscent of the magazine articles from when the 357 Mag was first released; talking as if firing too many rounds would offset the Earth's rotation. The 30 Sherman Mag offers good performance but it's hardly a super magnum.

Retumbo.

92.0 gr Retumbo with the Berger 210 VLDH, F215gmm, R-P brass.

91.0 gr Retumbo with the Hornady 212 ELDX, F215gmm, R-P brass.

If I did it again, I'd do a 300 RUM all over but go with more freebore and a longer box, and a faster twist barrel (mine is 10" twist).

I'm doing a 30 Nosler in one of my XP-100's. Waiting on a reamer.

What twist would you recommend now?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.