300 PRC versus 30 Nosler

This is a timely post for me as I'm almost ready to drop off my parts to the gunsmith for my very first full custom build. I've been researching and gathering parts for more than a year and I was dead set on 30 Nosler as the perfect long range elk gun shooting the 215-230 class bullets. Here's where I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm not a reloader (yet) but wasn't too concerned with that. My gunsmith does load development and I figured I'd just give that recipe to a custom loader like Unknown Munitions and have them replicate the load for me. In this current climate I'm not so sure that's as easy as just placing an order. Everyone knows the shortages in ammo components right now and it makes me nervous that a 30 Nosler with a custom chamber might not shoot ANY of the factory offerings very well with it's much shorter SAAMI spec. That's where I've started considering the PRC again as it would be nice to be able to grab a box of factory ammo (after taking out a second mortgage) and have a decent chance of it shooting well. Not debating that the 30 Nosler isn't a better cartridge when throated properly, just starting to question if the PRC would be better for my situation.
Either rifle will kill elk at most any ethical hunting distance. Shooting factory ammo, there may be a tilt to the PRC due to Hornady and many other companies offering tons of factory box loads. Shortages come and go, so if you plan on hand loading at some point, again either will work but I give the nod to the 30N from that perspective.

From a chamber and freebore perspective, you can ask your smith to use just about any reamer you like. Most smiths have more than one but if you plan on running long bullets in the 215+ length, your smith is likely to use longer freebore anyway. Something in the 200 range sounds right.
Welcome to the custom rifle family. Its a blast!!

I have had a few Noslers and now have a PRC. My PRC is running with or exceeding any Nosler I have had. Barrels play a big role too. I think they are close enough to be considered basically the same type of round. I do think a non rebated case will handle a little more than a rebated case will. The reason is that a rebated case head is under more compression than a non because the pressure vessel in front of it is of larger diameter. The case head is not what determines bolt thrust, its the internal diameter of the case. These are minor differences and if they are throated properly, its a wash in my opinion.
Is this true? Your 300 PRC has higher velocity than the 30 Nosler? If so, I'm curious how you achieved this. Also, how does the barrel life on your 300 PRC compare to the 30 N ?

Do you recommend 24" or 26" inch barrel length barrels?

Want to see what the LR nation thinks about the comparison of these 2 cartridges. For the record I have them both, and have had the 30N since back before SHOT show in 2015. The 300 PRC didn't seem to match the Nosler performance so I turned it into a 7mm PRC instead and in that cartridge I think it could be one of the best 7MM's available
Question: Why do we chase new sexy when new sexy may not be as good as previously sexy?
Send it!
Throw in the 300 Dakota. Dakota was there on these cartridges many years ago.

Is this true? Your 300 PRC has higher velocity than the 30 Nosler? If so, I'm curious how you achieved this. Also, how does the barrel life on your 300 PRC compare to the 30 N ?

Do you recommend 24" or 26" inch barrel length barrels?
I was running a 230 with 82.3 grains of N570 in a 28" barrel. 3000 fps. The Nosler case is not big enough to get to the next accuracy node which would probably be around 3080 fps. Most all of my Noslers ran a 215 about 3080-3100 in a 26". So yes, the PRC case and Nosler case are close enough that you will see very similar performance. What you have to know when increasing a case volume is, you have to go big enough to get to the next node. For example, Before we had ADG brass I came up with the 30-28 nosler to reduce pressures over the 30 Nosler so the brass would last. I didnt get more velocity, just lower pressures. The increase in volume was not enough to get to the next accuracy node. Now, you will be running higher pressures in the smaller case to run with the larger case. I like both the PRC and Nosler cases. You cant make a bad choice.