30 NOSLER OR 300 PRC

Post more sweet looking rig
Thanks for the feedback. I been "stalking" this site forever and signed up a while ago but just started posting today. Hoping it ain't too hard to navigate! Lots of good info on here and seems like a good bunch of people

I am not a reloader I don't have the time. I was really just wondering about the two and what People thought about it. 1 simple question and you can get a lot of info here.
Shoot enough factory ammo and sooner or later you'll get a bad batch it's unavoidable.

Hornady has been awfully good to me over the years in multiple calibers so I'll reach for it anytime I'm stuck and need to buy some.

Thanks for the feedback. I been "stalking" this site forever and signed up a while ago but just started posting today. Hoping it ain't too hard to navigate! Lots of good info on here and seems like a good bunch of people

Fantastic forum. Great info and good people

You won't fine a better forum or better, more experienced people willing to bend over backwards to help you than this one.

It's also laid out in such a manner it's very easy to find your way around.

Put up your feet and stay awhile. Welcome.

You won't fine a better forum or better, more experienced people willing to bend over backwards to help you than this one.

It's also laid out in such a manner it's very easy to find your way around.

Put up your feet and stay awhile. Welcome.
Ok!!!! Thanks

Attachments

• 20190223_210702.jpg
    20190223_210702.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 207
The 300 Norma is a shorter case than the 300 PRC. And of course the Norma is also a larger case.

But the case length is more important in my opinion because it holds many advantages that inexperienced handloaders and many case designers always seem to overlook. The shorter length of the Norma allows for reamers to be designed where the bottom bearing surface of heavy high BC bullets can be seated above the neck/shoulder junction and still have the same or maybe even less overall length than the 300 PRC. This not only allows for more "useable" case capacity, but since the bullet bearing surface is only in the neck of the case, it also avoids ever having to deal with accuracy-killing donut formations as cases grow from multiple firings.

I have a 338-375 Ruger so I know exactly how well cases built on the 375 Ruger can perform. I push 250gr Berger HVLD bullets at 2980 fps from a 26" barrel. But the normal magnum magazine length was always a constant issue for me and it wasnt until I went with the largest Wyatts extended mag box that I was finally able to seat the 250gr Berger bullets out where they should be. The 300 PRC is no different in overall length when using heavy high BC 30 cal bullets. They will be seated through the donut area if you want them to maintain the capability to fit in a normal magnum length 3.7" magazine. If you design a reamer to seat the bullets properly in the neck, you better get a longer mag box.

I also have a 300 Norma Mag Improved (35 deg shoulder) ELR rifle built on a Defiance action with another hunting version being built on a CCA Helix action with Proof carbon barrel. I will tell you right now that H-1000 is NOT the powder to use in the 300 Norma with heavy bullets if you want to really see just how fast she will get down the drag strip. H-1000 is a great powder for the 300 win mag and 375 Ruger based Wildcats, but to use it in the 300 Norma and compare the two is a one sided contest that falsely portrays the 300 PRC as being similar in performance to the Norma. Run RL-33 in the 300 Norma and you will see the real muscle it has ;)

Yes the 300 Norma is more expensive build as you need a Lapua size action/bolt face so the 300 PRC is indeed more cost effective. Just depends on how much money a person is willing to part with.

All that being said, I will also say that the 300 PRC is probably the very best design out there for a long range 30 cal for someone building on a normal magnum action. It has very minimal body taper, good case capacity and will fit in a .532" bolt face magnum action.

The 300 Norma and 300 PRC are both great designs with the Norma being a little more well planned for heavy bullets. If you are willing to spend the extra money, I would say go for the Norma. If you already have a magnum action and want to rebarrel to a big 30 cal, I would say go with the 300 PRC.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Not really... The CM was sort of an original, but the PRC line is just stealing already established wildcats, giving them a different name, and then get them SAAMI spec'd. That's the whole magic that goes on behind the curtain. They're the wizards that are just laying down voodoo on the masses that hang on everything they do.

That statement is not accurate for sure. Hornady and Dave Tooley have been shooting and testing the 30-375 (30PRC) for at least 10 years and since the day the 375 came out. They have used it for multiple submissions to SOCOM for change barrel sniper rifles over the years. So this was not the first go round for the Army seeing this round for sure. They were doing that round before the other variants that somehow people think were first. Dave shot that round at the 1k BR nationals in 2016 and took 3rd. Dave built me a LR single shot pistol on that round in 2011 with an 18" Lawton barrel on his Orion action with special McCree pistol stock. They called it then the Hornady Super Magnum and even made a big run of dies for it. They even had factory brass for it back then but just not head stamped.

That statement is not accurate for sure. Hornady and Dave Tooley have been shooting and testing the 30-375 (30PRC) for at least 10 years and since the day the 375 came out. They have used it for multiple submissions to SOCOM for change barrel sniper rifles over the years. So this was not the first go round for the Army seeing this round for sure. They were doing that round before the other variants that somehow people think were first. Dave shot that round at the 1k BR nationals in 2016 and took 3rd. Dave built me a LR single shot pistol on that round in 2011 with an 18" Lawton barrel on his Orion action with special McCree pistol stock. They called it then the Hornady Super Magnum and even made a big run of dies for it. They even had factory brass for it back then but just not head stamped.
What's inaccurate about anything I said in that post you quoted? I never said they were new...Actually I said quite the opposite. I also really don't care how long they've been shooting it. It was still a wildcat that they SAAMI spec'd, renamed, and then are trying to sell it to the masses as some revolutionary new cartridge, when it is not anything special, just something different. There are plenty of other cartridges that do the exact same thing as it does, that have been around a lot longer, and still work just fine. That's what Hornady's marketing strategy has been for the last 10+ years, once they figured out the perfect amount of hype with the CM. They just use the same formula for other stuff now.

What's inaccurate about anything I said in that post you quoted? I never said they were new...Actually I said quite the opposite. I also really don't care how long they've been shooting it. It was still a wildcat that they SAAMI spec'd, renamed, and then are trying to sell it to the masses as some revolutionary new cartridge, when it is not anything special, just something different. There are plenty of other cartridges that do the exact same thing as it does, that have been around a lot longer, and still work just fine. That's what Hornady's marketing strategy has been for the last 10+ years, once they figured out the perfect amount of hype with the CM. They just use the same formula for other stuff now.

Why does this stupid statement continue to be made?????? Should we all just shoot the first cartridge ever "invented" for each caliber???? Should we be shooting the 300 H&H? what do you suggest? Obviously you do not like the 300 PRC. Great, don't get one. I actually have one and so far am not impressed compared to the 30 Nosler but I would prefer it to my 300 Win mags. In any case it will fill a very small niche for many and that is great for them. By your logic we would not have the 300 RUM which I am not a fan of but many love it. We also would have have the Nosler line of cartridges and the 30 Nosler is quickly becoming my favorite cartridge. I could not care less if manufacturers continue to come out with "new" cartridges every other year to see which ones stick until the day I die. No matter how small the step it is still innovation that benefits us shooters.

You are forgetting one very important aspect that makes your entire argument completely worthless.
"Hornady" designed the original 375 Ruger and 300 Ruger Compact Magnum cartridges and brought them to the shooting masses. I wildcatted the 375 Ruger long before the PRC's. So what? So did other people. I'm not looking for a claim to fame, I just like wildcatting with certain rounds. Hornady has every right under the sun to Wildcat, SAAMI spec, name it, and do whatever the heck else they want with rounds based on the 375 Ruger and 300 RCM because those parent cases were their own idea in the first place!

Simple fact they did not "steal" established wildcats as you claimed. they had it down to 30-375/HSM with dies almost from day one and had submitted it on sniper bids by 2010 that I know of and that is when I got mine built so Tooley had been working it with Hornady for all that time before.

Why does this stupid statement continue to be made?????? Should we all just shoot the first cartridge ever "invented" for each caliber???? Should we be shooting the 300 H&H? what do you suggest? Obviously you do not like the 300 PRC. Great, don't get one. I actually have one and so far am not impressed compared to the 30 Nosler but I would prefer it to my 300 Win mags. In any case it will fill a very small niche for many and that is great for them. By your logic we would not have the 300 RUM which I am not a fan of but many love it. We also would have have the Nosler line of cartridges and the 30 Nosler is quickly becoming my favorite cartridge. I could not care less if manufacturers continue to come out with "new" cartridges every other year to see which ones stick until the day I die. No matter how small the step it is still innovation that benefits us shooters.
I didn't reply to you. The reason that statement keeps getting made, is because other people keep quoting my posts and asking questions or making points that don't refute anything I've said.

No, you don't have to shoot the first cartridge ever made. You can shoot whatever you like, I was simply pointing out its uselessness for the vast majority. Most people can't even utilize their .300 WM's full potential (of which I'm also not a fan, despite owning one).

You are forgetting one very important aspect that makes your entire argument completely worthless.
"Hornady" designed the original 375 Ruger and 300 Ruger Compact Magnum cartridges and brought them to the shooting masses. I wildcatted the 375 Ruger long before the PRC's. So what? So did other people. I'm not looking for a claim to fame, I just like wildcatting with certain rounds. Hornady has every right under the sun to Wildcat, SAAMI spec, name it, and do whatever the heck else they want with rounds based on the 375 Ruger and 300 RCM because those parent cases were their own idea in the first place!
Yeah, but they weren't the first to wildcat them, were they? So, my argument is still completely valid.

Anyone can do anything if they've got the time and money to invest. Whether it's completely useless or not is up to the consumers.