30 Sherman, 30 Nosler, 300 PRC

Coloradomuley

Hi guys I am looking to do a rebarrel on my 300 win I have a seekins havak ph2 so I was gonna order a pre fit from straight jacket armory they have all three reamers. I have plenty of mag room for all three cartridges and my bullet choice is a 215 Berger hopefully with H-1000 powder. I would also like to run a shorter 24" barrel to make the rifle a little handier but still be in the 2900-3000 FPS range. I have done Ackleys in the past so fire forming brass is no big deal for me on the Sherman. So let's hear some real world experience with these three. Thanks

I'd think the prc would get you there. I think a win mag will get you to 2900. Please tell me how the accuracy is on the havak? Been eyeballing one for awhile now.

I would go either 300 PRC or the 30 Sherman, I have built 2 PRCs and love the cartridge, very accurate and easy to find loads for, the 300 PRC just makes sense if your wanting to shoot heavier bullets, both of my rifles have 26" barrels, the target gun Im building now will have a 30" barrel,

I don't think you will have any trouble getting close to 3000 FPS with the 300 PRC and 215s, I have the Berger 245s at 2900 and its a few grains under max with R33 ( Berger data ) out of a 26' 1-9.5 twist Benchmark barrel, with R26 you should be close I would think.

Joefrazell The havak is great I have the 300 win and 6.5 PRC both are sub half MOA guns. I would buy another in a heart beat round count is getting up there on my win I have shot the crap out of it so I am starting to look at a fresh barrel.

I am in the process of having a 30 Sherman done right now.
Your speeds should be easily hit if you go adg brass. Mines gonna have a 26". The way I look at it is I do all my fireform while doing barrel break in. We all know barrels speed up and break in after around 100 rounds so I get all the break in done while fireforming then I start my load work. Just got my Sherman headstamped brass in this weekend.

I can get a straight replacement from seekins but it will be 26" in 300 PRC if you alter it at all like go to 24" it goes to the custom shop and they seem a little tough on prices to me. Also straight jacket offers far more chamberings then seekins does.

Man I must be unique. By the time a barrel speeds up, around 100 rounds, I've already killed at least 4 or 5 animals. I had the load dialed in my 300wm by 15 rounds and shot a 2.25" group at 790yds. Then I shot a couple elk one at 1070yds, a javelina in TX, a blacktail on Kodiak, a moose in AK, and then a couple more elk in ID and another in UT and I'm at about 95 rounds down the pipe.

I would do a long throat 30 Nosler for simplicity. No fireforming.

Man I must be unique. By the time a barrel speeds up, around 100 rounds, I've already killed at least 4 or 5 animals. I had the load dialed in my 300wm by 15 rounds and shot a 2.25" group at 790yds. Then I shot a couple elk one at 1070yds, a javelina in TX, a blacktail on Kodiak, a moose in AK, and then a couple more elk in ID and another in UT and I'm at about 95 rounds down the pipe.

I would do a long throat 30 Nosler for simplicity. No fireforming.

Well you are not alone. I didn't say I didn't take it and kill things. But I never do my final load work until later. Plus I like to bang steel so it doesn't take me long to get it broke in. My 6.5 on the other hand was dropping animals with spare rounds out of my first load ladder.
Your way still works but you need to stay on top of velocity validation.
I know a few guys get speed on a brand new barrel then are shocked when they start missing and think they gained BC or something.
How would a long throat 30 nosler act with any other bullet. I honestly don't know but that's why I stay clear of cutting a throat for one bullet.

I can get a straight replacement from seekins but it will be 26" in 300 PRC if you alter it at all like go to 24" it goes to the custom shop and they seem a little tough on prices to me. Also straight jacket offers far more chamberings then seekins does.
Ya, their custom rates are tough!
Might consider their Element barrel contour
As a replacement, the 300 PRC will be 24"
Just a thought, if you wanted lighter.

I bang steel too I just dont do a lot of it until I'm between seasons or 80+ rounds typically. You only need a handful of rounds to kill a pile of animals. If your dialed before 20 and use a half dozen to kill stuff that is 60 or so to bang steel.

I would say 300 PRC or Sherman if you really want to see 3000 out of the shorter barrel. Nothing wrong with any you listed. I have usually found accuracy around 75 gns of h1000 and 215 gn Berger's in the 300 win mags I've had, they have been right around 2850 or so out of 26' barrels. That load stomps elk out to 1000k for me. Really no wrong answer.

Last edited:
If you are willing to form on brass, you might consider the 30-28 Nosler Wildcat. The cases made by simply necking up a 28 Nosler case to 30 caliber. I also have a set of forming dies to take a 300 rum down to a 30-28 Nosler but that is a bit of work and not necessary. Of course you'll need to set up custom dies from Hornady. On my last build I was getting 3120 - 3150 feet per second with 200 grain Hornady eld-x bullets using reloader 26 on a Remington 700 with a 25 1/2 in barrel. I'm in the process of having it rebarreled with a 28in Proof barrel.

Hi guys I am looking to do a rebarrel on my 300 win I have a seekins havak ph2 so I was gonna order a pre fit from straight jacket armory they have all three reamers. I have plenty of mag room for all three cartridges and my bullet choice is a 215 Berger hopefully with H-1000 powder. I would also like to run a shorter 24" barrel to make the rifle a little handier but still be in the 2900-3000 FPS range. I have done Ackleys in the past so fire forming brass is no big deal for me on the Sherman. So let's hear some real world experience with these three. Thanks
I like your lineup, one thing I learned after having a 300 PRC is that a little more case capacity can really make a difference with H1000.
I wasn't able to get anywhere near the velocity I was hoping for with H1000 and 215's from a 27" barrel, I hit pressure around 2925.
I'd go 30 Nos throated for 215's

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.