30 Sherman, 30 Nosler, 300 PRC

I like your lineup, one thing I learned after having a 300 PRC is that a little more case capacity can really make a difference with H1000.
I wasn't able to get anywhere near the velocity I was hoping for with H1000 and 215's from a 27" barrel, I hit pressure around 2925.
I'd go 30 Nos throated for 215's
+1 here

First off I have a PRC.
But if I specifically wanted to shoot 215's I probably would go 30 nos. I could be wrong but I believe the 30 Sherman has the same capacity as the 30 nos. The 300 PRC will have the least capacity.

So unless you want to fire form the 30 nos seems like the best way to go

I'm a ******* for some reason I thought 300 win mag was being compared instead of 30 nos. Probably need a long throated 30 nos Or Sherman to get the most speed out of that shorter barrel.

Here is my best load so far with my 30 nosler, using once fired ADG brass, H1000 and the 215 Berger hybrid at 3.57in coal. Barrel is 26 in proof sendero lite 9.4 twist with .2328" freebore and .344 neck. I can't
20200308_114823.jpg
go any higher on charge weight. Barrel has 90 rounds so far. Will the velocity jump up, we'll see. At this point, I don't know that the long throat really accomplished much besides using a bit more powder for a given velocity.

Here is my best load so far with my 30 nosler, using once fired ADG brass, H1000 and the 215 Berger hybrid at 3.57in coal. Barrel is 26 in proof sendero lite 9.4 twist with .2328" freebore and .344 neck. I can't View attachment 181712go any higher on charge weight. Barrel has 90 rounds so far. Will the velocity jump up, we'll see. At this point, I don't know that the long throat really accomplished much besides using a bit more powder for a given velocity.

that's really slow by about 200fps!! do you have any retumbo or 570.. every one I've been around is 3050-3100 w/retumbo... the 300 sherman has the same capacity as the 30 nosler so no secret sauce there!!!!! your freebore is in line with many others. whats your loaded neck DIA with adg brass?

Hi guys I am looking to do a rebarrel on my 300 win I have a seekins havak ph2 so I was gonna order a pre fit from straight jacket armory they have all three reamers. I have plenty of mag room for all three cartridges and my bullet choice is a 215 Berger hopefully with H-1000 powder. I would also like to run a shorter 24" barrel to make the rifle a little handier but still be in the 2900-3000 FPS range. I have done Ackleys in the past so fire forming brass is no big deal for me on the Sherman. So let's hear some real world experience with these three. Thanks

Don't complicate it, pick one and go for it. It is not going to be your last. Be prepared for other recommendations, stray off-topic, or possibly being hijacked. 😇 😇 😇

Good luck!

Here is my best load so far with my 30 nosler, using once fired ADG brass, H1000 and the 215 Berger hybrid at 3.57in coal. Barrel is 26 in proof sendero lite 9.4 twist with .2328" freebore and .344 neck. I can't View attachment 181712go any higher on charge weight. Barrel has 90 rounds so far. Will the velocity jump up, we'll see. At this point, I don't know that the long throat really accomplished much besides using a bit more powder for a given velocity.

Just received my 30 nosler. Shooting the 215 Berger at 2812fps with 82.3gr of retumbo. It's a 22" barrel (set up for mountain hunting).

OAL is 3.565. Barrel is 1:9.

Don't mean to derail the thread. Just thought I'd chime in on the above post.

You didn't derail it at all. It's the exact real experience he asked for. I think we're similar in our experience, considering that retumbo loads show a little higher velocity and then you have a shorter barrel. If I had retumbo I would be using it for this cartridge.

My 300 prc is right at 2800 with hornady brass and a 225 eldm. It's about all I could get. On the plus side I have some ADG brass in the mail. I would think you could get over 2900 with a 215. I haven't tried the ADG yet but I bet it's 100 fps faster.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.