338-300 PRC... Sherman Improved!

KH_Outdoors

As the title says, we are building out a 338-300 PRC and opted for the Sheman Improved version, the "33 Sherman Magnum". I've wanted to try one of the Sherman's for a while now and this one just makes sense!

Seeking out to build a mid sized 338 cal rifle for hard use in Alaska, naturally the 338 win comes to mind. But... the first thing I found out was brass is hardly available. I could always just used factory ammo as you certainly can find it here and there, but what fun is that?

Next consideration is of course the real big boomers like 338 Norma & RUM type cartridges. However... I've already hunted with a 338 Norma and similar sized case cartridges. For me, it's more blast/recoil than I want in field hunting conditions. They will always hold a place in my heart though!

So then having been on the "too much" side of the spectrum, it's left me looking at "mid sized" 338 cartridges like 338 Win, 33 Nosler, and comparable. Both a fine choice but... then my smith mentioned this 338-300 PRC idea!

338 Campfire, 338 Demon, 338-375 Ruger, 338-300 PRC... for all intensive purposes they're not that much different. The 338-300 PRC is easily made, using 300 PRC brass. With a simple neck up from 30 cal to 338, combined with an over abundance of brass availability and I'm sold!

Then came the 33 Sherman Magnum, a 338-300 PRC with Rich Sherman's spin on it. A 40 degree shoulder and a little less case taper adds a little performance potentially and a stable case. BUT... the final decision maker for me was the fact that Dies & Reamer are on the shelf ready to ship same day. As opposed to sourcing all of that myself and hoping the best for compatability. The 33 SM just makes sense.

So, here we go! More to follow soon as I get it put together and broken in. Not alot of info out there on these so I'm excited to try something different!

20240402_083814.jpg

IMG_20240402_083733.jpg

20240330_212212.jpg

Ready for a scrub & some break in/fire forming. Here's the quick build list.

TS Customs Built 33 Sherman Magnum

Chamber/Reamer: 33 SM, .100" fb reamer, with added extra fb & throated to a compromise of 225 & 250 NAB's

Action: Lone Peak Fuzion with Alpine Port cut

Barrel: Benchmark light magnum contour, 9.5 tw, 22" finish, spiral fluted

Stock: KS1 with standard hardware, finished in "Denal Ambush", seemed fitting!

Trigger: Triggertech Special Pro Curve

Bottom metal: Hawkins Precision Hunter Dbm

Muzzle brake: Salmon River Solutions, Ti Pro 4 ST

Extra notes:

- We had the reciever body & muzzle brake sent out for DLC. Add's an extra step but man it's sure worth it in my opinion. Cleans up easy and runs smoooth!
- I asked Travis to try and match the flutes in the barrel to the bolt fluting. I think we share similar tastes because he really nailed it. Fluting done in house.
- The TS Customs exclusive KS1 Stock has become my #1 favorite Stock to date. It's just right in many ways for a long range hunting Stock. His bedding jobs are a work of art as well.
- Travis's attention to detail is some of the best I've experienced. At every stage of the build he exceeds expectations. I'm very thankful for him.

Some more pics!!

20240330_212201.jpg

20240330_212332.jpg

20240330_212239.jpg

20240330_212553.jpg

What length barrel are you thinking? I'm kicking around wanting a 338 and this sounds interesting as all get out! Tagging in for the progress and results

Ended up going with a 22" finish on this one and it feels just right. I was reeaally tempted to go with an 18-20" barrel but in my opinion 22" is a great compromise. I want it "short enough" to be handy but not so much I leave alot of speed on the table.

That's what I'm thinking. Mostly because I wanna get a suppressor for one as well. That's a beautiful rifle system. What's she gonna weigh in at with optics you think?

That's what I'm thinking. Mostly because I wanna get a suppressor for one as well. That's a beautiful rifle system. What's she gonna weigh in at with optics you think?

Thanks! Same here. Actually have a suppressor "in the cue" now (or jail...). So I had that in mind too.

Getting some baseline weights here too,

Bare Rifle: 7 lb 6.6 oz

Scoped with NX8 4-32x50 & ARC rings: 9 lb 10 oz

The NX8 is going on for load dev. I'm still a little undecided on the final scope but it will likely be less weight than an NX8.

Thanks! Same here. Actually have a suppressor "in the cue" now (or jail...). So I had that in mind too.

Getting some baseline weights here too,

Bare Rifle: 7 lb 6.6 oz

Scoped with NX8 4-32x50 & ARC rings: 9 lb 10 oz

The NX8 is going on for load dev. I'm still a little undecided on the final scope but it will likely be less weight than an NX8.
That sounds like THE plan. I could deal with that weight for sure but I don't blame you for wanting to go with less weight!