30-338 WM or 300 WM? Which would you choose?

Buttermilk

Considering either of the two rounds in the subject line.

I kinda like the 30-338, even though it is a bit dated.

I think the 30-338 would work perfectly in my current A-bolt 7 Rem Mag with a rebarrel.

Seems the 30-338 have a good rep back in the day.

Regards
Rog

If you have a shorter magazine, like the Ruger M77 tang safety, the bullet will have to be set deeper in the 300 win mag case. In this situation the 30-338 win mag will have the same powder capacity as the 300 win mag.

I know I measured the two with a 180 gr spitzer bullet. I chose the 30-338 for that rifle. That was quite a while ago. I still have the die set. My gunsmith had the 30-338 reamer so it didn't cost much to try it.
Moved on to the 257 weatherby with that rifle.

Another vote for the 300 win mag. It is less hassle for me and has done everything I could ever expect it to. If you go on a trip and have a problem with your loads, any store will have ammo.

Plus another for the 300 win mag, It is a great long range round and will run with a lot of the 30's especially with the new Bergers. I doubtwill ever be with out mine. But all my other 30's I have owned are gone or in the far back of the safe.

jeff

I've used a combination of the two.

A .30-.338 Keele (long neck) version was what my current 1000-yard match rifle has for a chamber. Cases are made with .300 Win. Mag. ones full length sized in a standard .30-.338 full length sizing die. It's got about 15% to 20% longer barrel life than a standard .30-.338 made from .338 Win. Mag. cases. And is just as accurate. It's more accurate than the .300 Win. Mag,, but only marginal, just like the standard .30-.338.

All things being equal, either .30-.338's easier to shot accurate as it's got a bit less recoil than the Win. Mag. version. That's more important than the .300 Win. Mag's slightly better wind bucking ability.

Thanks for the replies.

I was curious about any accuracy advantage, since the reputation of the 30-338 indicates it may have a slight advantage.

A longer neck would be even better.

I'm a bit surprised that some would prefer the 300 WM. Is it the case forming?

Thanks
Rog

Thanks
Rog

I doubt the accuracy difference will be noticeable to the average long range shooter/ hunter. But the velocity using the larger bullet offerings might. My first group at 1007 yards with my 300 win using the new 215 Berger hybrid was under 4". The first 100 yard group with them during load work up was a 3 shots into one ragged hole. I have since taken antelope at 805, 1005 and another at 1285 yards all one shot kills. Also busted a rock cold bore one shot at 1465 yards. I may be a little biased but for me to believe the 300 win gives up any long range accuracy I will have to go out and we will shoot together.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies.

I was curious about any accuracy advantage, since the reputation of the 30-338 indicates it may have a slight advantage.

A longer neck would be even better.

Thanks
Rog

I've had 300mag and 30-338mag build by same gunsmith as I wanted to expand and shoot more 30 cal mag also had 300Wby build.

I never found one that shoot better than the other as to accuracy. I think with the 300mag you can buy cases and just about every gunsmith has reamer vs someone what wants to build 30-338mag and doesn't mind going thru the extra steps.

If you look at that record setting group 1000yd in 300WSM it has neck length less and bullet dia so maybe longer neck have no advantage.

Since I've down sized the last few years I've given nephew most of 300mag/300WSM I had build he's not into forming cases so I kept the 30-338mag's. You can always get into a debate

I've used a combination of the two.

A .30-.338 Keele (long neck) version was what my current 1000-yard match rifle has for a chamber. Cases are made with .300 Win. Mag. ones full length sized in a standard .30-.338 full length sizing die. It's got about 15% to 20% longer barrel life than a standard .30-.338 made from .338 Win. Mag. cases. And is just as accurate. It's more accurate than the .300 Win. Mag,, but only marginal, just like the standard .30-.338.

All things being equal, either .30-.338's easier to shot accurate as it's got a bit less recoil than the Win. Mag. version. That's more important than the .300 Win. Mag's slightly better wind bucking ability.

sounds like your round is very similar to the .308 Norma mag; am I correct?
gary

sounds like your round is very similar to the .308 Norma mag; am I correct?
Yes. Fred Huntington (Mr. RCBS) designed the 30-338 in 1958 two years before Norma came out with their version. Only difference is the Norma neck is a few thousandths longer. Keele, a gunsmith, launched his long neck one in the mid 1960's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.