Which action would you choose?

Which of these actions?

• Total voters
I've been going through analysis paralysis on an action for another build. I have been very pleased with the Defiance AntiX I have, but would like to try something different. The Kelbly Nanook and the BAT Vesper are on the short list. There are a number of great actions out there to build around. Rightly or wrongly I believe the action is the base of any build.
I think modern high-end actions are so close you are just choosing on preferred features. If, by base you mean the "most critical" part of the build, I would have to say it is the human element in the chamber work and barrel. I am not saying they do not have amazing tolerances and finishes, I just think the heart of a build is barrel and chamber. When actions are all within several ten thousandths everywhere it gets hard to discern which is best. Is a Bat VR $400 better than a Kelbly Atlas? I don't know and I doubt I am good enough to find out. I do know there are people out there that swear by one or the other and that's great! It would suck if there was only vanilla ice cream! :)

There may be lesser custom actions out there, but I do not think any of the brands listed here will disappoint.

I own a few semi custom and custom rifles. Actions I have are:
  • Trued REM 700
  • Stiller TAC 300
  • Kelbly Atlas Tactical
  • Pierce SkeleTi
  • Borden Bigfoot
  • BAT VESPER
Truth is they all shoot phenomenally well. There are things about the action that are important but as mentioned earlier the barrel quality and chamber work is far more critical to precision. If you were to ask my preference based on what I own it would look like this:

1. BAT VESPER
  2. Kelbly Atlas Tactical
  3. Borden Bigfoot
  4. Stiller TAC 300
  5. Pierce SkeleTi (only because it isn't as smooth as a steel action)
  6. Trued REM 700

How is the Defiance Classic action been? Also, can you get in in black or blued steel to match the rifle?
It is headed to my smith now. Was waiting on a blank from Brux to be shipped. Hope to have it done in about six weeks and will drop it in a stock and start working on loads. So far for the price and it not being coated I have been very happy. I have not seen it where it comes from the manufacturer coated and that wasn't an option out of the stock I ordered from as all of them were uncoated.

I have shot just about every action out there, with the exception of the ARC CDG.
I own several different action brands. But the brand I own the most of is Kelbly. Two Atlas Tac, two Atlas Lite, and five Nanook.
I also own four Defiance (two Deviant and two AnTi X), two Lone Peak Fuzion, and a trued up R700.

Kelbly CS is amazing. I have never needed anything for service, but when I have emailed with questions, I have actually gotten a phone call from Ian Kelbly himself. Pretty darn good if you ask me.
That has been my experience as well, Ian is very easy to talk to and is top notch on Customer service.

They are only a few hours from me. I looked at them but they are a little outside of where I want to be price wise.
Just save for what you want. Took me over 2.5 years to afford my current build. Just kept chipping away at what I wanted to get.

I know everyone wants everything right now, but with current lead times, you might as well save and get what you want.

You really can't go wrong with any of the higher end custom clone actions.

Also, building bolt guns can get addicting, so be careful. 😂

Just save for what you want. Took me over 2.5 years to afford my current build. Just kept chipping away at what I wanted to get.

I know everyone wants everything right now, but with current lead times, you might as well save and get what you want.

You really can't go wrong with any of the higher end custom clone actions.

Also, building bolt guns can get addicting, so be careful. 😂
Ended up going with a Kelbly Nanook. I wanted to stay around or sub $1k for the action, but ended up liking the weight and options of the Nanook so let the moths out of the wallet. There are more expensive actions out there, but for what I paid ($1,200 not including FFL fees and such) I think I got a decent action and had it at the FFL in 3 days. Dropped all the stuff off at the gunsmith, now to wait 3-4 months for him to get to me.

Tell me about the addiction...this one isnt done and already looking at what I would do if I buy one for my son someday!

Last edited: