Which action would you choose?

Which of these actions?

• Total voters

171farm

Looking to build my first bolt rifle and am in the process of researching all the parts and pieces. This gun is going to be a hunting rifle mainly for PA deer but will be taking trips out west for elk, mule deer, whitetail and whatever I might decide to hunt out there or elsewhere in North America. Its going to either be a 300 PRC or more than likely a 7mm PRC. I have narrowed it down to these 5 actions...yeah I know really narrowed down there! Not hard to tell I'm firmly in the lower end of the spectrum. I can afford more but want to be around this price point when it comes to the action.

I'm not really interesting in hearing anything about any of the actions that are not on the list. But I would love to hear which of these you would either pick or just if not more important, stay away from. Some of these are harder to find information on than others so hopefully there are people on here with first hand experience that can help shine some light. As of right now, from everything I have read about each of these, none of them are really sticking out to me more than the others.

Appreciate all the insight in advance

I'd go with the Kelbly because they are very smooth and maybe just as important available.
But the Origin would be nice, just swap the bolt face and you could shoot 270 or 280ai etc with a new barrel.
Don't have any experience with the others on your list.

I have used the Mack Brothers, ARC, Origin and Defiance (use to be called something other than Classic) and all were very good actions. Reliable, smooth and very well made. Never used Kelbly, but I guarantee you they are the same. I would pay attention to features and see if there are some you prefer over others. If I only had the opportunity to pick one it would have CRF and mechanical ejector. Some are adamant about integral recoil lugs and picatinny rails. You can literally blindfold yourself and pick one of your five and never be disappointed.

Only thing I will say about the Mack Brothers (keep in mind I have 5) is the finish. It is not the most attractive, but on a hunting rifle it is fit, form and function and Mack Brothers hits all three. I had mine nitrided so that kicks the price up a bit.

I have used the Mack Brothers, ARC, Origin and Defiance (use to be called something other than Classic) and all were very good actions. Reliable, smooth and very well made. Never used Kelbly, but I guarantee you they are the same. I would pay attention to features and see if there are some you prefer over others. If I only had the opportunity to pick one it would have CRF and mechanical ejector. Some are adamant about integral recoil lugs and picatinny rails. You can literally blindfold yourself and pick one of your five and never be disappointed.

Only thing I will say about the Mack Brothers (keep in mind I have 5) is the finish. It is not the most attractive, but on a hunting rifle it is fit, form and function and Mack Brothers hits all three. I had mine nitrided so that kicks the price up a bit.
Sent you a pm!

Looking to build my first bolt rifle and am in the process of researching all the parts and pieces. This gun is going to be a hunting rifle mainly for PA deer but will be taking trips out west for elk, mule deer, whitetail and whatever I might decide to hunt out there or elsewhere in North America. Its going to either be a 300 PRC or more than likely a 7mm PRC. I have narrowed it down to these 5 actions...yeah I know really narrowed down there! Not hard to tell I'm firmly in the lower end of the spectrum. I can afford more but want to be around this price point when it comes to the action.

I'm not really interesting in hearing anything about any of the actions that are not on the list. But I would love to hear which of these you would either pick or just if not more important, stay away from. Some of these are harder to find information on than others so hopefully there are people on here with first hand experience that can help shine some light. As of right now, from everything I have read about each of these, none of them are really sticking out to me more than the others.

Appreciate all the insight in advance
We use BAT, Impact, Defiance but not on your list.
You probably can't go wrong with any on your list.
We recently got a shipment of American Rifle Coup De Grâce. Very good Actions and the Price is great. I know PRS builder that are using them so if they are working for PRS shooters they can definitely work for hunting. They are a smooth action and I am sure that you already researched them since they are on your list. We have been using some of the top Actions and we would not have bought these if they didn't work well.

I have a Mack Brothers Evo 2 and like it. Used it to build a Remage 6.5-06. It came with a two stage Triggertech trigger which has been excellent. I like the way the recoil lug is done with the Mack Brothers as well. I mounted a 20 moa rail on it and used Seekins rings. Everything lined right up and zeroed flawlessly. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

Out of all these listed the only one I wouldn't buy is the Mack bros because you are getting a few more features near the same price point with others. I like the option of having the ability to buy a prefit barrel which most of these do. I also like the option of changing bolt heads (origin) so that's the one I'd go with in your scenario.

All that said, I'm going to pick up a defiance classic today but I also already own an origin. I don't think you would be unhappy with any of the actions on this list.

They are only a few hours from me. I looked at them but they are a little outside of where I want to be price wise.

I understand there's budgets for everything on a build but the difference of 400 dollars in the grand scheme of the total build costing 1000's shouldn't be a deciding factor. An action can be a life long investment where a barrel can be shot out in a season. If you want to support local, Joel (owner of terminus) is a fantastic guy and his products are top notch as well. I'm not saying they are better or worse then some you've picked but just something to consider

Last edited: