270 win 130-150gr

If Nosler is right the ablr is just under the .6 mark and for a 150 class it's as close as a 150 will be? The Berger vld-hnt is at the bottom of .5. Maybe this is where the 28cal comes to play with the heavier factory loads? Back to topic...............150's are the heaviest I'll shoot not only because of limited by 10 and not a faster twist. Shooting 160 and up would be nice if I could get at least 2,700fps (preference). Maybe a 27saum or 27prc would work?
Yep - somewhere in the .5s is about where seems like bullet designers have topped out with what they can get in a 150 lead core that will go in a 1-10. Badlands has a 150 bulldozer with a bc of .710 which is extraordinary but requires a faster twist. You can shoot heavier bullets - 160-180 in 1-10 270 but they cannot be optimized ballistically to stabilize in 1-10. For ex, woodleigh makes a 270 180gr with bc of .5 that will stabilize in 1-10. If maxed out BC with long secant
Ogive and boatail it would be above .8 but probably require a 1-7 twist

Lou

I agree with Lou270. When the 270 arrived and velocity was being coronated king, distance was measured in paces = yards and measured AFTER the shot. Optics were dark and set and capped after zero. The 130 grain bullets made hitting easier and was/is very effective on the most hunted/harvested game animals across the country - deer. Good business. It is easy to lose site of the fact that LRH members shooting the 270Win make up a VERY small percentage of the shooting market.

I agree with Lou270. When the 270 arrived and velocity was being coronated king, distance was measured in paces = yards and measured AFTER the shot. Optics were dark and set and capped after zero. The 130 grain bullets made hitting easier and was/is very effective on the most hunted/harvested game animals across the country - deer. Good business. It is easy to lose site of the fact that LRH members shooting the 270Win make up a VERY small percentage of the shooting market.
Agreed, and at one time the .270 was considered a belt less magnum with 130 grain fodder

If deer sized big game (and smaller) were the only thing on the hunter's list ….I wholeheartedly agree!

If elk, moose, ect…….a heavier bullet would be prudent! Long Range shooting has nothing to do with choosing a bullet weight more desirable for much larger, heavier game! IMO

But again, I've always seen things differently than the majority of folks. Been pretty much a loner most of my life! memtb

YUP,.. ^^^ The .270 Weatherby with a 1=12 Twist was made FOR,.. 130's at,.. Warp Speed and LONGER Ranges as were, PRE Rangefinder Days !
Also, in the .270 Win, they RECOILED way, LESS, and THAT, was Popular, back in the Day of, 180 grain, 06's and NO Muzzle Brakes !
And,.. the130's killed,.. Big Game, like Lightening ! Think, Berger's of, the Day,.. Roy Weatherby KNEW,.. his Chit !!

Last edited:
I read about them ….a lot! Mostly in articles by Jack O'Conner. While I don't get around a lot, I had never seen one or met anyone that owned or hunted with one, until I moved to Wyoming and met my future wife! She and both of her son's had one!

So, for the first 30+ years of my hunting/shooting life they were pretty much a Unicorn 🙀 …….talked about but never seen! 😉😂 memtb

O'Connor was a huge Fan of the .270 Win. with 130's ( SilverTip's, IIRC ) and Roy Weatherby was Big on, the .270 Wby with Hornady 130's.
Remember that, there were NO Brakes or, Range Finders,.. back THEN.
O'Conner shot, MOST of his Sheep at some Amazing Distances with, his .270.

O'Connor was a huge Fan of the .270 Win. with 130's ( SilverTip's, IIRC ) and Roy Weatherby was Big on, the .270 Wby with Hornady 130's.
Remember that, there were NO Brakes or, Range Finders,.. back THEN.
O'Conner shot, MOST of his Sheep at some Amazing Distances with, his .270.

I have read of his exploits! 😂 memtb

I carried an Ole "Sporterized" Sprinfield 06 ( Right Handed Bolt ) with 180's ( ouch ) and 150's, back in the Day then, saved up my $$$'s for a "Lefty" Weatherby MK-5, .270 Wby and was in,.. Tall Cotton ! NEVER lost, One Animal with, it.
I got pretty good at estimating Ranges, before I ever pulled, the Trigger, tho.
IT was a different Time and shots over 300 yds, was, Long Range and,.. One to,1.5 MOA Groups, were,. aweome !

My guess is that those blessed with ballistic ignorance only sees muzzle velocity! 😉 For many years shooters were "brainwashed" into thinking that muzzle velocity trumped all other factors! 🤨 memtb
Yes my assumption is and drop within 300 yards is the reason many people that buy box ammo have turned to it.

The same issue happens with 150gr 3006 ammo, though to a less extent as the 130 270 is going faster

Many are brainwashed about velocity trumping all, as are many brainwashed about energy trumping all.

Maybe folks who only pick bullets purely based on BC, twist calculators, and minute differences in ballistic charts should pause and think a little on this. The 270 / 130 load is an easy button load. There is plenty of power for vast majority of hunting, light recoil, and no need for dialing or anything fancy out to 400 yards. That covers about 99.9% of hunting that actually happens and only requires cheap factory loads. I realize this is a long range site that tends toward the minutia which are needed for extremes but the 270 base factory load takes you right to where that minutia really starts to matter with zero fuss or comprimise

The 150 load has traditioanally been a heavy game or brush load in the 270 not a geneal purpose hunting load. There are several availaible now with BC above .500 if want to stretch legs a bit in 1-10. Not as good as the .6+ that can get with faster twist but I notice the PRS guys do pretty well with 6mms and similar BC bullers

Lou
Yep 👍 this 👆
0-400 is good. My wife has punched the ticket on several big bucks between 350-450 with 130g Nosler BT's, 90% of the time they were DRT