270 win 130-150gr

Calvin, a couple of guys here in the South are running 55,70, and 90g Ballistic tips on deer at some incredible speeds on deer. They claim that they never move on bullet impact in large 6mm cases, 6 Gibbs and 6 Rem AI.

Have you ever shot any of the 80g Barnes TTSX?
I do have a load in my 257 bee for the 100 grain tsx, in my 243 I have in the past played with the 85 tsx.

I've heard about using the light b-tips on deer, even the 55 grain. Sort of like using 55 grain and lighter bullets out of a 22-250 for deer hunting. I won't do it. The 75 hammer out of the weatherby had the solid copper shank so some guarantee of penetration, as does Barnes.

The 55 grain 6mm ballistic tip might be a very emphatic killer of deer sized game "in the south" as you say…when you see the layer of winter fur and subcutaneous fat on a Saskatchewan whitetail that's ready to survive brutal cold for months to come you see that using an ultralight varmint bullet at Mach 4 isn't a good plan.

Why is it that 130gr is the most readily avaiible grain in 270? With every bullet from a winchester power point to a accubond? When the 150gr is suprior for ft/lbs of energy for more effective penetration? Reloading is even hard to find 150gr. But where im from just factory ammo avaible for 150gr is winchester power point and federal fusion.
I have 3 rifles in .270win. A remington 700, a SIG970shr, and a savage 110. In both the remington and savage the 150gr Nosler Partition and Accubond will lose stability at around 600 yds. Holes in Paper targets at that range are no longer perfectly round. It is plenty accurate. I limit my ranges to 600 and under. The SIG shoots them well out to 1000. All three rifles are 1:10 twist. All shoot the 140gr just great and can be pushed at 3000fps. The 130gr shoots just fine but I found they do a lot of meat damage out to 150yds and bullet performance decreases at around 425yds (for me anyway) I think Jack Oconner loved the 130gr and 140gr offerings, and since he was the god of all things .270win his legacy lives on.

I do have a load in my 257 bee for the 100 grain tsx, in my 243 I have in the past played with the 85 tsx.

I've heard about using the light b-tips on deer, even the 55 grain. Sort of like using 55 grain and lighter bullets out of a 22-250 for deer hunting. I won't do it. The 75 hammer out of the weatherby had the solid copper shank so some guarantee of penetration, as does Barnes.

The 55 grain 6mm ballistic tip might be a very emphatic killer of deer sized game "in the south" as you say…when you see the layer of winter fur and subcutaneous fat on a Saskatchewan whitetail that's ready to survive brutal cold for months to come you see that using an ultralight varmint bullet at Mach 4 isn't a good plan.
I played with the 55 grain B-tips in the 243 quite a bit. If you keep impact velocity under 3200FPS they are fantastic on deer. I loaded them for the last 10 years my old uncle hunted deer. He shot alot of big November MN deer, never twice, and saw them all fall. The biggest of these was a rutted up 5x6 that field dressed at 224 pounds on the Sinclair gas station biggest deer contest scale. They didn't really create a wound channel, but a bruised hole and body cavity of slurry you just kind of dumped out when gutting.

Why is it that 130gr is the most readily avaiible grain in 270? With every bullet from a winchester power point to a accubond? When the 150gr is suprior for ft/lbs of energy for more effective penetration? Reloading is even hard to find 150gr. But where im from just factory ammo avaible for 150gr is winchester power point and federal fusion.
It is due in part of a company"s market research/strategy.

I played with the 55 grain B-tips in the 243 quite a bit. If you keep impact velocity under 3200FPS they are fantastic on deer. I loaded them for the last 10 years my old uncle hunted deer. He shot alot of big November MN deer, never twice, and saw them all fall. The biggest of these was a rutted up 5x6 that field dressed at 224 pounds on the Sinclair gas station biggest deer contest scale. They didn't really create a wound channel, but a bruised hole and body cavity of slurry you just kind of dumped out when gutting.
I beleive you and appreciate the real world experience. Still not gonna do it! 😁

I assume every one of these deer were broadside double lung hits staying off the shoulder?

I beleive you and appreciate the real world experience. Still not gonna do it! 😁

I assume every one of these deer were broadside double lung hits staying off the shoulder?
Mostly, with the liver involved in a couple quartering away. He would pass a deer no matter how big if he had to risk losing a shoulder. They were all from a stand at 30 to 120 yards.

Mostly, with the liver involved in a couple quartering away. He would pass a deer no matter how big if he had to risk losing a shoulder. They were all from a stand at 30 to 120 yards.that

Well then for what he was doing that load makes sense.

Also I can see the liver shot being very effective. I've made two or three unintended liver hits and the animals went down faster than they have for heart or lung hits. Wouldn't intentionally aim for it for a few reasons but can't deny it's very effective and fast.

I'm a 270 fan always have been ,I reload for all my 270s, for many years it was the Speer hot cores 130s ,3100 was stepping it up and 3175 was golden ,we're all getting gipped with 22 inch bbls, 24 is better 25,26 is golden ,if you can't carry a mer few ounces push away form the table and get walking , never had a problem stabilizing 150's0r160"s or 170sor 180"s,I like my 150s doing 2940 ish ,160 mid 2800 ,170 to rare just keep them ,180s are Barnes if I want to play got 'em,170 are speers,145 were the new rocket pocket by Hornady ,they did high 3000 maybe 3050 of of memory,140 shined, probably cause I shot more of them ,while noslers accubonds and ballistic tips shot ,Incredible they bloodshot to much Venison,I don't think they were bonded good enough and I've tested that to 625 yds ,better retention of bullet mass was450 yds and more I'm talking 140 accubond now , not ballistic tips they were highly explosive even at 100 yds, accurate oh heck yes but I reserve them for long range practice 600 or mor. Now the mons yes I'm a Barnes fan they have proven Very worthy,but alas they're sold as so much of my Beloved Country is " Why in heck is that NOT a Criminal offense?!!!. The 270 made its reputation by speed 3160 back in JOC day it's watered down to make others look better on paper ,any good rifleman knows that , a 150 in a 270 is competitive with a 180 in the 30/06 ,gota and I'm a 270 WSM fan also great cartridge just more fun and performance and powder . Another thing most don't test is shooting the partitions at long range they can fly ,shot them out of my STW doing 3225 , took 22moa to get 1000 . Lots of great info just had to.add my 2cents,cheers