270 win 130-150gr

Andy92

Why is it that 130gr is the most readily avaiible grain in 270? With every bullet from a winchester power point to a accubond? When the 150gr is suprior for ft/lbs of energy for more effective penetration? Reloading is even hard to find 150gr. But where im from just factory ammo avaible for 150gr is winchester power point and federal fusion.

Why is it that 130gr is the most readily avaiible grain in 270? With every bullet from a winchester power point to a accubond? When the 150gr is suprior for ft/lbs of energy for more effective penetration? Reloading is even hard to find 150gr. But where im from just factory ammo avaible for 150gr is winchester power point and federal fusion.

A very good question! Many years ago when I started loading for my wife's 270 Win…..I went with the 150 for exactly the reasons you mentioned!

I can't comprehend the logic of the manufactures nor the people buying the 130's, which likely drives the 130 grain market!

My guess is that those blessed with ballistic ignorance only sees muzzle velocity! 😉 For many years shooters were "brainwashed" into thinking that muzzle velocity trumped all other factors! 🤨 memtb

I shoot mostly 140's in my 270. When it comes to velocity and higher SD bullets in the 270 for deer the Hornady 140gr SST Superformance ammo is great. For the 150 grain I found the Fusion ammo to be accurate in a couple of my 270's.

That makes sense i was shooting for groups last night and this is what i got tikka t3x federal fusion 130gr and 150's and federal berger 140's
20230918_205857.jpg

Attachments

• 20230918_205330.jpg
    20230918_205330.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 59
Distance has some affect on choice. Why have a 150gr at 200 yards or less on deer.......choice. I stopped hunting in '78 so my choices are whatever I use on varmints and pigs. All 150's should stabilize in 10 twist (monos excluded probably). I have 1 box of ablr and 1 of vld-hnt to try in a 22" blr. I might try sst's, but do a 145edl-x's for fun. As mentioned before the 130's are popular.

Maybe folks who only pick bullets purely based on BC, twist calculators, and minute differences in ballistic charts should pause and think a little on this. The 270 / 130 load is an easy button load. There is plenty of power for vast majority of hunting, light recoil, and no need for dialing or anything fancy out to 400 yards. That covers about 99.9% of hunting that actually happens and only requires cheap factory loads. I realize this is a long range site that tends toward the minutia which are needed for extremes but the 270 base factory load takes you right to where that minutia really starts to matter with zero fuss or comprimise

The 150 load has traditioanally been a heavy game or brush load in the 270 not a geneal purpose hunting load. There are several availaible now with BC above .500 if want to stretch legs a bit in 1-10. Not as good as the .6+ that can get with faster twist but I notice the PRS guys do pretty well with 6mms and similar BC bullers

Lou

Maybe folks who only pick bullets purely based on BC, twist calculators, and minute differences in ballistic charts should pause and think a little on this. The 270 / 130 load is an easy button load. There is plenty of power for vast majority of hunting, light recoil, and no need for dialing or anything fancy out to 400 yards. That covers about 99.9% of hunting that actually happens and only requires cheap factory loads. I realize this is a long range site that tends toward the minutia which are needed for extremes but the 270 base factory load takes you right to where that minutia really starts to matter with zero fuss or comprimise

The 150 load has traditioanally been a heavy game or brush load in the 270 not a geneal purpose hunting load. There are several availaible now with BC above .500 if want to stretch legs a bit in 1-10. Not as good as the .6+ that can get with faster twist but I notice the PRS guys do pretty well with 6mms and similar BC bullers

Lou

Lou…..I guess that I was way ahead of my time! 😉 I was loading those 150 Partitions (before the 140 grain bullets were introduced) for my soon to be wife in the late '80's…..before she "stepped up her game" and went with a substantially larger cartridge! 🙂

And never loaded anything less than 165's for my little .308 Win., dating back to the late '60's/'70's. And, that was for use where 100 yards was a pretty long shot! 🙀

But……I have always been a student of the "Keith Philosophy"! 😁 memtb

Last edited:
10" twist rate struggles with heavier bullets.
Not 150 lead core. That has been proven for only about 100years and all on market work perfectly in 1-10. Monos - yes. Tops out about 130 grains while keeping good ballistic form. If want to go heavier than 130 need to adjust form of bullet to keep center of gravity back. This is why the 140 barnes tsx or 150 tsx does not really gain any bc over the 130 versions. They had to adjust form of bullet. You see this in all cals as well. For ex The BC of 160 7mm tsx is not as good as some lighter bullets either and need to increase twist if want to use higher bc heavy 7mm monos

Lou

Lou
If Nosler is right the ablr is just under the .6 mark and for a 150 class it's as close as a 150 will be? The Berger vld-hnt is at the bottom of .5. Maybe this is where the 28cal comes to play with the heavier factory loads? Back to topic...............150's are the heaviest I'll shoot not only because of limited by 10 and not a faster twist. Shooting 160 and up would be nice if I could get at least 2,700fps (preference). Maybe a 27saum or 27prc would work?

10" twist rate struggles with heavier bullets.
But do they struggle up to the 150 weight? I load the 145 ELDX in my 1952 Rem 721, 1-10 twist, and the stabilization calculator is very good. I likely wouldn't try to load above 150 due to instability, but to the OP's question, I think the 145 range is very good.