270 win 130-150gr

Yes my assumption is and drop within 300 yards is the reason many people that buy box ammo have turned to it.

The same issue happens with 150gr 3006 ammo, though to a less extent as the 130 270 is going faster

Many are brainwashed about velocity trumping all, as are many brainwashed about energy trumping all.

I believe in neither, especially energy, as the end all answer as to the effectiveness of a bullet's killing abilities! 😉 memtb

Yep 👍 this 👆
0-400 is good. My wife has punched the ticket on several big bucks between 350-450 with 130g Nosler BT's, 90% of the time they were DRT

They are a really nice smaller bore rifle when used on smaller big game , or on big game provided …..it's used within it's limits and with proper bullet placement! memtb

Why is it that 130gr is the most readily avaiible grain in 270? With every bullet from a winchester power point to a accubond? When the 150gr is suprior for ft/lbs of energy for more effective penetration? Reloading is even hard to find 150gr. But where im from just factory ammo avaible for 150gr is winchester power point and federal fusion.

Here is the sweet little 270 Win I put together this winter for my wife! I had 2 boxes of the 150 gr. Accubonds and hoped they would shoot well. I worked up to a max load of Mag Pro and to my surprise got 3/4" 100yd. groups With this load she should be able to take care of anything we can hunt here in Wyoming! I'm sure Nosler loads this bullet in factory ammo so give them a try!
DSC01905.JPG

Here is the sweet little 270 Win I put together this winter for my wife! I had 2 boxes of the 150 gr. Accubonds and hoped they would shoot well. I worked up to a max load of Mag Pro and to my surprise got 3/4" 100yd. groups With this load she should be able to take care of anything we can hunt here in Wyoming! I'm sure Nosler loads this bullet in factory ammo so give them a try!
View attachment 495291

Very nice little rifle 👍 I'm sure she'll like it!, and it shoots good too….. a nice combination! memtb

Back in the day……. Shot a few Blacktail with the Ole Winchester 270 & Nosler BT's.
Have a New to me, old pre-64 m70 Featherweight .270
(1956 year, same year I was born) that's gonna become a "semi-custom".
Well sorta….. put a new Leupold on it & a leather sling off my dads old .270 Winchester rifle.
A Special rifle to me.
Load up some 103 mono's & go hunt.
IMG_5687.jpeg

Last edited:
Why is it that 130gr is the most readily avaiible grain in 270? With every bullet from a winchester power point to a accubond? When the 150gr is suprior for ft/lbs of energy for more effective penetration? Reloading is even hard to find 150gr. But where im from just factory ammo avaible for 150gr is winchester power point and federal fusion.
I have been reloading for the 270 Win since 1974 (with my Dads supervision because I was still just a young teenager). The 130gr bullets were the most readily available both in factory and as bullets for reloaders. We shot them almost exclusively. In addition, the heavy's (150's and I seem to remember 160s) were mostly round nose, flat base bullets which didn't fly as well as the 130/140 BT's available. Not that the bullets were super great because they weren't, but until the grans slams and partitions came along, the Sierra and Speer were the most readily available. Talking to some of the old timers still around, that was all they knew and many haven't changes and that has been passed down to thier kids. I also think that those readily available bullets are cheap when you compare them to the premium bullets which are often not as easy to find as the lower cost ones. And lastly, as mentioned, the manufacturers load what sells the most and a lot of people just shoot what is easy to fins and cheap.
Just my thoughts on the why.

If deer sized big game (and smaller) were the only thing on the hunter's list ….I wholeheartedly agree!

If elk, moose, ect…….a heavier bullet would be prudent! Long Range shooting has nothing to do with choosing a bullet weight more desirable for much larger, heavier game! IMO

But again, I've always seen things differently than the majority of folks. Been pretty much a loner most of my life! memtb
Right! I think most would agree, even back then - bigger critter gets a bigger, not bullet, but bigger gun. If you were a regular to the elk, moose, big bear woods you shot a an 06' or 45-70 in the timber something like that. If you were not a regular and on the trip of a lifetime, much like today if you could afford the trip you could afford a special rifle and 270 was not the first choice. If you needed bigger than a 130 then you probably wanted more gun, not more bullet. Then Roy shows up and the magnum craze begins. A 270 Win with a 130 still gives good velocity without mag recoil, but if you want more who could resist the option of a magical belted magnum in 7mm, 300, 338, or any of the Weatherbys? Still holds today minus the magic belt. For what most people ask the 130 to do it is hard to beat from the ol'270. For what you want the 150 to do from the 270 it is very EASY to beat with a bucket full of other cartridges.

Last edited:
Quote: For what you want the 150 to do from the 270 it is very EASY to beat

I was completely onboard with everything you said, with this as the only exception!

If you're using the 270, I contend that the 150 (or so) is a better bullet for larger game!

If not "forced" to use the 270 Win. for larger big game, you are exceedingly correct……far better choices are abundant! memtb

My Dads, now my 270 Win. Customized Mauser action that took more deer than I can count, and still shoots very well with its preferred handloads. A good 270 with good ammo is still a freezer filler and one of my favorite calibers.

Attachments

• Dads 270.jpg
    Dads 270.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 32
Quote: For what you want the 150 to do from the 270 it is very EASY to beat

I was completely onboard with everything you said, with this as the only exception!

If you're using the 270, I contend that the 150 (or so) is a better bullet for larger game!

If not "forced" to use the 270 Win. for larger big game, you are exceedingly correct……far better choices are abundant! memtb
Yep, agreed, that's my point, most of the people shooting the 150s are STUCK with it as a masher rather than choosing it, and if you always need to mash you get a better masher.

Yep, agreed, that's my point, most of the people shooting the 150s are STUCK with it as a masher rather than choosing it, and if you always need to mash you get a better masher.

Bingo! My contention is why go minimal/marginal, the "mashers" are as fully capable of killing the smaller stuff …..just like the "powder puffs"! 🙀😂 😉memtb