270 into 280ai ?

KSB209

I say this often but please forgive my ignorance. Can you turn a 270 into a 280AI? I have a Sako A7 in 270 that I was thinking about ordering a barrel and new stock for. Then I thought it would be nice to have a 280ai. Can this action be used for the 280ai?
For those of you that are farmilar with the Sako's is the action worth investing money into or should I save up and buy a custom action for a 280ai build? If I go custom it might be a year or 2 before I can justify the money for this build. I am already building a custom 308 this year so my rifle funds are drying up but I might be able to swing a barrel and stock this year

That is an idea but I like the fact that you can buy factory ammo for the 280ai if needed. I've never seen factory ammo for the 270ai on the shelf.
It's because it is still considered a wildcat/non-SAAMI. I originally was going to build a .280 AI but with .270 AI instead. My .270 AI currently propels the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS with H4831SC.

I'm a little torn. I want to get into reloading but right now I have a press and books. No dies, powder, and no primers (really). So for the next year or so I feel like I'll be shooting factory ammo so I need to stay with what is available. The 280ai has always intrigued me but maybe I should just stay with the 7 mag but that is a new rifle not a 270 conversion. Wish I won the lottery and could buy anything and everything I wanted

For the next year, just shoot your .270, it's a really good round, the 280ai offers some benefits, but really not worth the effort if your not going to be able to reload for it. .270 ammo is easier to find. if you want to start learning to reload, the quarter bore bullets are easier to find. You probably already have some brass for it. The .270 isn't popular in the long range world, but make no mistake, the .270 will run with the rest of them. There really isn't a shot that exists in the hunting world that I'd take with a 280ai that I wouldn't take with a .270.....Loaded comparably of course.

For the next year, just shoot your .270, it's a really good round, the 280ai offers some benefits, but really not worth the effort if your not going to be able to reload for it. .270 ammo is easier to find. if you want to start learning to reload, the quarter bore bullets are easier to find. You probably already have some brass for it. The .270 isn't popular in the long range world, but make no mistake, the .270 will run with the rest of them. There really isn't a shot that exists in the hunting world that I'd take with a 280ai that I wouldn't take with a .270.....Loaded comparably of course.
^^^This!^^^

This was shared with me (.270 AI owner) and .280 AI (also an outstanding LRH member) owner by an outstanding LRH member >>> https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37256

A quote from the .280 AI owner ...

"Wow. From a .270WIN!
Pretty sure I would rather build him a .270AI though. Same speeds at less pressure. I know my .280AI is about 1.5gr off max, I had 3040 before I hit pressure, and that was with a barrel with only 50ish rounds down it."

A .270 Win is no slouch!

Last edited:
I am sure you are right and the "smart" thing would to keep the 270. I really do like that rifle and have had it for years and shot the crap out of it. It has been my go to mountain rifle and never had any problem with it but there are so many other rounds out there these days and I just have to have one. I guess I am sort of old school with my 270, 308, and 300wm rifles. They get the job done in North America.
I guess I just NEED something new to play with and feel cool again at the range.

I am sure you are right and the "smart" thing would to keep the 270. I really do like that rifle and have had it for years and shot the crap out of it. It has been my go to mountain rifle and never had any problem with it but there are so many other rounds out there these days and I just have to have one. I guess I am sort of old school with my 270, 308, and 300wm rifles. They get the job done in North America.
I guess I just NEED something new to play with and feel cool again at the range.
"IF" you are trying to keep up with the Joneses, good luck with that.

I have a 6.5x55 Swede (produced in 1894) and .30-06 (produced in 1906), and they are still cool at the range, and yes, I have new chamberings as well.

^^^This!^^^

This was shared with me (.270 AI owner) and .280 AI (also an outstanding LRH member) owner by an outstanding LRH member >>> https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=37256

A quote from the .280 AI owner ...

"Wow. From a .270WIN!
Pretty sure I would rather build him a .270AI though. Same speeds at less pressure. I know my .280AI is about 1.5gr off max, I had 3040 before I hit pressure, and that was with a barrel with only 50ish rounds down it."

A .270 Win is no slouch!
Like others have said- the 270win is fantastic and it's probably still the rifle I grab more than any other, even though I have many newer options and some wildcats, etc. it just plain gets the job done.

knowing that you don't reload, I would say take the advice to keep what you have and start saving. First, though, I'd start acquiring a reloading setup...components will come back and when they do you can start loading for what you have to squeeze more performance out of them vs buying factory rounds. If you're already building a custom 308, you might as well roll your own custom tailored ammo for it.

Good luck- welcome to the rabbit hole!

As others have said, the extra bang you'll get from the AI's right now doesn't really justify the headache you will encounter trying to find ammo/ components in the next few months. I'd get to reloading as the shortages wane, and make your decisions then.
I'm not buying a dang thing right now that I can't feed from my existing resources. I've got my eye on a dang nice S&W pistol right now but it's something I don't currently reload for, and so it just sits.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.