What would you rebarrel a .270 into?

Just reading this, if u don't mind opening up bolt face, I would go 270 wsm for easy to find factory loads and you can push a 150gr pill 3200fps and that my friend will kill....or a 270roy which will push a lil more FPS but probably not much more, but if you didn't want to open bolt face up and u reload, then I personally liked the idea of the 270-280AI just take a 280AI brass and neck it down to the 270, and that would be unique! And a great round, I am not a huge fire forming guy, may be lazy or it may be the fact that I don't like wasting components to make one of the components and Barrel wear associated with it.

My question to the OP is: What is your over-all budget for this build?
If you build something like a 280AI with quality barrel, aren't you forgetting something? Like a new scope and new stock? After factoring in the cost of the gun smith, barrel, maybe a trigger and stock, I would think you'd want a nice longer range tube to stick on top? I know I would. You want to reach out there farther than you are now, and the farther you want to shoot the more money for the build.
So, my choice would be stick with a factory 270 and upgrade the scope. unless you really want to step up and be in the package for $2 to 3k.
I have a 270win in a remington 721 with an old Leupold 6-20x40 that I love to shoot but I spent my money on a dedicated elk rifle.
Working from a budget standpoint should help you decide where to take it-

A person might look back at this in 20 or 30 years from now...

I switched rifles,,, calibers,,, cartridges,,, and reloading supplies over those years to find out I'm back to where I started...

The 30/06 followed by a 308,,, don't get me right or wrong,,, it was a blast trying different firearms,,, but it was inevitable that time,,, age,,, common sense all played out in me scaling up... Ha...

Some of my friends say I scaled back,,, but I maxed out on the tags again this year with old school standard cartridges,,, that why I say scaling up... Ha

I think back at my first ever Midland 30/06,,, and how it would of filled my needs all along,,, I didn't know this at the time,,, but I sure think about it now...

I'd be in my glory had I greased the rifle up and stuffed it in the back of the gun cabinet,,, I'd be on the hunting grounds with it today...

An option to consider is re-barrel what you have at a frugal cost,,, find a good used what ever you want to try and keep the Golden rod safe until you get into the real game plan 4 or 7 years from now...

My good friend shelved his Remmy 270 for 18 years,,, he took it out to the range and shoot a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards off a block of wood on the old rickety shooting bench...

He was grinning from ear to ear knowing he did the right thing keeping his old school 270 for all these years...

His replacement back then was another 270 Winchester in Remington all weather...

Now he owns 2 of the best shooters he's ever had for 40 years...

Cheers from the North

Question/options first, justification below.

.270 Win with a 1-8" twist
.270 Sherman
Both of these let me stick with the do-all Jack O'Connor caliber.

6.5-284
6.5 Sherman
More velocity, more bullet options, maybe lose some elk capability?

.280 Ackley
Can share ammo with my dad.

Other?

My Savage .270 Win has become a project gun. 25% because I want a bit better long range capability than the factory 22" sporter barrel, 75% because I like to tinker for the sake of tinkering. So know that a lot of my motivation is "because I can". Hell, setbacks in "upgrading" this gun have forced me to borrow my dad's .280 for my first elk hunt in two weeks.

I'd definitely go with the 8" twist .270. More and more VLD type .270 bullets becoming available and no shortage of factory ammo available should you find yourself in a pinch.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.