What would you rebarrel a .270 into?

RedDirtRifleman

Question/options first, justification below.

.270 Win with a 1-8" twist
.270 Sherman
Both of these let me stick with the do-all Jack O'Connor caliber.

6.5-284
6.5 Sherman
More velocity, more bullet options, maybe lose some elk capability?

.280 Ackley
Can share ammo with my dad.

Other?

My Savage .270 Win has become a project gun. 25% because I want a bit better long range capability than the factory 22" sporter barrel, 75% because I like to tinker for the sake of tinkering. So know that a lot of my motivation is "because I can". Hell, setbacks in "upgrading" this gun have forced me to borrow my dad's .280 for my first elk hunt in two weeks.

Question/options first, justification below.

.270 Win with a 1-8" twist
.270 Sherman
Both of these let me stick with the do-all Jack O'Connor caliber.

6.5-284
6.5 Sherman
More velocity, more bullet options, maybe lose some elk capability?

.280 Ackley
Can share ammo with my dad.

Other?

My Savage .270 Win has become a project gun. 25% because I want a bit better long range capability than the factory 22" sporter barrel, 75% because I like to tinker for the sake of tinkering. So know that a lot of my motivation is "because I can". Hell, setbacks in "upgrading" this gun have forced me to borrow my dad's .280 for my first elk hunt in two weeks.
Sounds like you have almost answered your own question. You like to tinker, you like the .270, you want more range. What about an 8 twist .270AI with a longer barrel?

I did a 6.5 A-square,,, basically a 6.5/06,,, I like it but its alot of brass peeping at first which is ok for now,,, but I'm sure I'll re-barrel to a 25/06 or 270 when the pipe burns out...

My friend up the road from me has taken alot of Elk and Moose with his 270,,, a few Wolves and Cougars...

Its a simple cartridge that gets the job done,,, it won't be long before the .277 sees a line up of high tech bullets...

I'm sure that there are lots out there already...

Some folks don't know this,,, the .277 is the closest to 7mm,,, actually 7.03mm if I recall... They seem to fly pretty nice from what I've seen...

Cheers from the North

You could always step up to a 300 or 338 Sherman for some extra HP. Do you have other rifles?
This is my only centerfire bolt action rifle. Stepping up to .30 caliber or above is an interesting idea. I have ARs in good whitetail calibers so it's not like I'd be stuck with an overkill rifle if I did so.

Sounds like you have almost answered your own question. You like to tinker, you like the .270, you want more range. What about an 8 twist .270AI with a longer barrel?

You are probably right. I do really like the caliber, maybe even because it's a little old fashioned. When things are long term plans I tend to hem and haw over decisions and still go with my first choice. Why would you suggest a .270AI over a Sherman?

If elk are on your menu why would you even consider going down to 6.5? Velocity is not the cure all.....

Elk aren't on the menu often for me, and I have plenty of family with .280s, 7 Mags, and .300 Mags to borrow rifles from when they are. Whitetail and long range steel will be my most common targets by far. That's why the 6.5s stay compelling.

280AI, or 280 Sherman, is really hard to beat for an all around cartridge in a standard bolt face long action. Get the right twist barrel and make sure you plan for magazine length for COAL with heavier bullets.

My old 270 win was changed to a 280AI over 20 years ago and its still going strong.

Do a 270 Sherman, or a 280 Sherman, use the 170 Berger in the 270 or the 180's in the 280. Use something close to a sendero contour barrel between 26 to 28 inches and ring steal and kill elk with your on rifle and load. Then you get to fell that satisfaction of accomplish that I did that with my on gun and my on loads. If you don't like the heavy's then step down to something lighter 130 grains 270 or 140 7mm. Either way it would be a sweet setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.