270 AI equals 280AI?

Lots of talk about the 270 and the 270AI verses the 280, etc. And I'm just wondering why there's no talk about hot rodding it all the way with a 270 Gibbs. I have 4 AI's and two Gibbs - a 240 and a 6.5 - and I have no problem with reloading any of them. I've not experienced any of the "too short neck' problems. Just wondering...,
My reasoning to go with .257 WBTY has nothing to do with not liking the Gibbs. I, too, have a Gibb in .30 cal, and it has been a blast, and I need to explore more of its potential. The .270 Gibbs is definitely a formidable chambering to reckon with. No problem with the short neck either.

My reasoning to go with .257 WBTY has nothing to do with not liking the Gibbs. I, too, have a Gibb in .30 cal, and it has been a blast, and I need to explore more of its potential. The .270 Gibbs is definitely a formidable chambering to reckon with. No problem with the short neck either.
If I were really chasing down that next level power, I think I'd just go pick up a fast twist (7.5") 27 Nosler and get it throated long like the 300 PRC. Then I'd go kill anything that walks the North American continent.

I would go .270 AM before going that route.
What's the 270AM based off of? 300 RUM or 338 Lapua?
I bet a 270-338 Norma Improved could be a sweet round too 😉 Shooting the long heavies, especially if Hammer made a special batch of extra heavies in the 165gr range… I can only dream of such things though. The 270AI is an easily obtainable cartridge and plenty efficient for what I hunt and distances I shoot.

What's the 270AM based off of? 300 RUM or 338 Lapua?
I bet a 270-338 Norma Improved could be a sweet round too 😉 Shooting the long heavies, especially if Hammer made a special batch of extra heavies in the 165gr range… I can only dream of such things though. The 270AI is an easily obtainable cartridge and plenty efficient for what I hunt and distances I shoot.
RUM. That's why I went with the .270 AI.

han What's the 270AM based off of? 300 RUM or 338 Lapua?
We worked a little on a 168 grain 6.5, and didn't quite get the balance. I won't say I've let go of the idea regarding a heavier mono, just that the process isn't linear, and more than just spinning them on the lathe is needed.

With a 6.5 Ultracat we achieved 3700fps, but began experiencing dynamic stability issues (tipping) at 200 yards.

A .277 being a little shorter at that weight may be different, but a 1 to 6 length ratio seems to be a good rule for mono's.

I'd love to see it done, or even just discuss it. PM me before we go to far sideways.

We worked a little on a 168 grain 6.5, and didn't quite get the balance. I won't say I've let go of the idea regarding a heavier mono, just that the process isn't linear, and more than just spinning them on the lathe is needed.

With a 6.5 Ultracat we achieved 3700fps, but began experiencing dynamic stability issues (tipping) at 200 yards.

A .277 being a little shorter at that weight may be different, but a 1 to 6 length ratio seems to be a good rule for mono's.

I'd love to see it done, or even just discuss it. PM me before we go to far sideways.
Interesting information about the monos. Thanks for sharing.
I don't mind when threads go sideways, it's part of what keeps things interesting 😉

If I were really chasing down that next level power, I think I'd just go pick up a fast twist (7.5") 27 Nosler and get it throated long like the 300 PRC. Then I'd go kill anything that walks the North American continent.

You might want to check the ballistics between the two cartridges before you go down that road. There's really not that much difference in ballistics between the two cartridges; .270 AI and the 27 Nosler. While you are checking the ballistics make sure that you are checking apples for apples because from the data that I have found there's not a great difference between the two cartridges. And yes there is a difference in performance, however it comes with a price. (1) presently $92 for 25 pieces of brass (2) with a 150gr ABLR it takes 88.5gr of RL50 to get 3362fps out of a 26 inch Lilja barrel (3) then there is the recoil from all that powder, and.......I am not so sure about barrel life however do not suspect it will be too great with that speed and that much powder going down the tube. With the .270 Ackley I am getting close to the same performance out of a 26 inch Lilja and a 150gr ABLR with 57gr of RL19 and brass is $87 for 50 pieces brass. If you find it necessary to get every "foot-per-second" out of a .277 caliber cartridge and do not mind the expense then that ought to be the way to go. What I have found is that the ammunition companies have a way of hyping up and for lauding any new cartridge when they are promoting their latest and greatest 5000 yard T-Rex performer. A few years back the best and only "great" cartridge on the planet was the .280 Ackley Improved, and........then a year later the .280AI went out and then the latest and greatest 5000 yard T-Rex performer was the 6.5 Creedmoor. And..............now with a faster twist we have the latest and greatest 5000 yard T-Rex annihilator the 6.8 Western. The cartridge factories/manufacturers are not only selling ammunition and rifles, they are selling Kool Aid also!

You might want to check the ballistics between the two cartridges before you go down that road. There's really not that much difference in ballistics between the two cartridges; .270 AI and the 27 Nosler. While you are checking the ballistics make sure that you are checking apples for apples because from the data that I have found there's not a great difference between the two cartridges. And yes there is a difference in performance, however it comes with a price. (1) presently $92 for 25 pieces of brass (2) with a 150gr ABLR it takes 88.5gr of RL50 to get 3362fps out of a 26 inch Lilja barrel (3) then there is the recoil from all that powder, and.......I am not so sure about barrel life however do not suspect it will be too great with that speed and that much powder going down the tube. With the .270 Ackley I am getting close to the same performance out of a 26 inch Lilja and a 150gr ABLR with 57gr of RL19 and brass is $87 for 50 pieces brass. If you find it necessary to get every "foot-per-second" out of a .277 caliber cartridge and do not mind the expense then that ought to be the way to go. What I have found is that the ammunition companies have a way of hyping up and for lauding any new cartridge when they are promoting their latest and greatest 5000 yard T-Rex performer. A few years back the best and only "great" cartridge on the planet was the .280 Ackley Improved, and........then a year later the .280AI went out and then the latest and greatest 5000 yard T-Rex performer was the 6.5 Creedmoor. And..............now with a faster twist we have the latest and greatest 5000 yard T-Rex annihilator the 6.8 Western. The cartridge factories/manufacturers are not only selling ammunition and rifles, they are selling Kool Aid also!
You've really got me interested in that 150gr Nosler ABLR for new 270AI.
Now if only I can get my hands on some of those bullets and it will shoot well in my 24" rifle… I'm sure if you're pushing 3300+ in your 26" tube, I could see at least 3200'. That provides plenty of energy to kill any of our northwest game out past my 600 yard hunting max.

With this renewed interest in the .277 caliber (27 Nosler, 6.8 Western) along with modern powders, how is the 270AI not more popular or even the equal of the 280AI?

You asked me for some photos of the .270 Ackley Improved. Here are a few photos of the .270 Winchester and a .270 Ackley.

Attachments

• .270AI1.JPG
    .270AI1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
  • .270AI2.JPG
    .270AI2.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 134
  • .270AI3.JPG
    .270AI3.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 146
That Ackley is just a sexy looking round 👌

That .270 Winchester round that I used for comparison in the photos was something that I found while cleaning out. I made these up in 1994 and used them on a whitetail deer hunt. These will be turned into .270 AIs the next time I go to the range. I think they are 130gr Nosler partitions??? I'll have 40 new pieces of fireformed brass when I am done. My rifle will shoot the factory .270s well in my rifle but the bolt is really tough to close up on them, but....in my son's rifle the bolt closed up just fine.

Recent Posts