Help in rifle selection, 270wsm/270/280Ai

280ai or 6.5-06 are options then ur not limited to a few high bc 270 bullets. If you have a particular bullet in mind, then a rebarrel job with a chamber cut for a particular bullet is the way to go
280AI is a great option but the 6.5 is just to light of a bullet IMO for ELK, unless you are hitting it with a solid copper hollow point at a distance with enough energy expand it out. Off the top of my head I would guess that would limit 6.5-06 to around 600 yards max, but like I said that is just my opinion. If I could stand the recoil I would be shooting a .300 Mag with 225gr rounds, I like it when a bad shot to the hind quarter will do more than make an Elk trot off.

You could just buy the Steyr for $700 and it would be about what you would pay for a custom barrel on what you have. For what you want to do though, a good barrel chambered in 280 A.I. and installed by a qualified smith would likely perform better. I would go with the A.I. with potentially more accuracy and certainly more range......rich

Do you have a guessimate what it would cost though? I have only researched ordering a barrel and it is about $370 and shipping. But near as I can tell a gun smith would need to take some material off the chamber when mounting it to my action to set the headspace? I have no idea what one would charge for this but I am guessing anyone worth a **** would want at least $300? Am I in the ball park with that? Then it will still be a crappy ADL stock, which I can live with if it allows me to seat the bullet out nice and long because I can always just bed the **** out of the stock and paint it to get me by until I find a nice stock for $350 that I can paint to look like the old stock so my wife doesn't notice I bought it :-(

You should be able to get a good barrel INSTALLED for the $700 you are shooting for. If you are looking at triggers, bedding, etc., It would be a little more.

I have a good smith here in Idaho that I'm pretty sure could do what you want for $700. He has built lots of good A.I.'s and Sherman's. I can give you his # if you want to call him?

I have a good smith here in Idaho that I'm pretty sure could do what you want for $700. He has built lots of good A.I.'s and Sherman's. I can give you his # if you want to call him?

Yes, please PM me his #. I am just over in Northern Oregon. I can do triggers and bedding, but the only barrels I have put on was in the military and they were all designed for adjusting head space using the threads and a barrel lock.

You can find good used HS Precision and B&C Medalist stocks w. full aluminum bedding blocks for $200 all day long. Very minor bedding, if any,is needed. Tune your trigger yourself down to 2#.

Yes, please PM me his #. I am just over in Northern Oregon. I can do triggers and bedding, but the only barrels I have put on was in the military and they were all designed for adjusting head space using the threads and a barrel lock.
I would get a Remage prefit and pay a smith $20 to screw it on and tighten the barrel nut.
I've bought Remage pre fits from McGowen and Match Grade Machining, both are around $300, and another $50 for the barrel nut, and will shoot 1/2 moa in my experience.
You will also need a headspace gauge which is about $30.

I would get a Remage prefit and pay a smith $20 to screw it on and tighten the barrel nut.
I've bought Remage pre fits from McGowen and Match Grade Machining, both are around $300, and another $50 for the barrel nut, and will shoot 1/2 moa in my experience.
You will also need a headspace gauge which is about $30.
Thanks, I will check into this. Maybe it is something I can do myself after some research.

Yeah its pretty easy to do, the hardest part is taking off the factory barrel.
You would need a good barrel vice, a 700 action wrench, and a barrel nut wrench.
I can remove a barrel and install a new one in about 10 minutes, the tools will cost you around $250.
Send me a pm if you need any more specifics

About how much would it cost to get a barrel and have it put on my action? From what I have seen a chambered barrel would be about $400 and I have no idea what a gunsmith would charge to put it on my rifle?

It seems like it would be pretty expensive by the time it was done. I think for about $700 I could just buy a Steyr .270 win with a 23.5" 1:8.6" twist barrel. It wouldn't be the fastest to launch the 170 EOL but would probably get me to 800 yards hunting and close to a mile for targets. Recoil and weight would be about right. So I think getting the 270 rebarreled would need to be less than $700.

If I do rebarrel the 270 it will be for a 27" 1:8.5" 280AI that will end up a little on the heavy side but will be able to stretch 1000 yrds hunting and over a mile @ targets with 180 or 195 rounds. I seriously doubt I would ever be in a situation to take a shot over 700 yrds, but the option is nice. 600ish is the farthest I have killed anything and that was trophy mule in the Montana Bear Paws, most long shots with my 7mm RM back in the day were under 450 yards but I zero'd at 300 shooting about .7 MOA. I used to say I got a lot of Par 4s but only one Par 5. With technology today I think 800 is pretty reasonable if conditions are right and it would be fun to take that shot and get off the golf course distances.
From my local guy:
barrel $320
Thread, chamber and crown for your action $225
Action truing $175 if you wanted it.

So a vice, 2X4s, pipe wrench, and rags are out of the question? I would probably buy a barrel nut wrench unless I have a spanner that fit it or something.

If you stay with the 270 you would save a little in reloading as you already have what you need. P.O. Ackley built rifles in 270 with faster twist to shoot heaver bullets up to 180gr.
As why do manufactures us slow twist, some is the bullets used for so long did not need any more. Other times it's there ignorance, such as the 35 Whelen Remington took it from a wild cat to production with a 1-16 twist and it was intended to have a 1-14 or 1-12. Another is the 244 Rem. it had a twist too slow for 100gr. bullets so the 243 Win. out sold it. Remington fix it with a faster twist and a new name, 6mm Rem. but it was a bit to late and never has became what it should have.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.