Rifle Selection...Help!

DFW15TX

Hey guys! This is my first post on any forum so be easy. I have been a hunter for many years but have recently been interested in long range shooting. So I need help in narrowing down on a "all in one" perfect caliber rifle for both whitetail, aoudad, hogs, & long range target shooting amongst our competitive group of hunters. I would like to round to be capable to take down a whitetail at 500yds if I can ever get that good. I have been on this darn computer long enough looking for information to help me with my selection my girlfriends about to kill, or hopefully find a friend. I have narrowed it down to these selections: 6.5x284 Norma, .257 Weatherby Mag., .270 Weatherby Mag., .30-378 Weatherby Mag., & 7mm Rem Mag. I have yet to shoot any of these calibers so not sure on the recoil but would like something smooth, and any caliber I get will have a muzzle break. Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say. I appreciate it!

Wow! That is quite a selection! The 6.5 x 284 would work well with little recoil but it has a reputation as a barrel burner. The 257 and 270 Weatherbys are sort of flat shooting barrel burners that have somewhat of a limited bullet selection. The 30-378 is a behemoth of a monster powder burner monster recoil and monster noise that won't even fit in most magnum length actions. The 7mm Remington Magnum is more in line with your needs but is still somewhat excessive.

Because you want to shoot competition as well as hunt, I would look at something that would be lower in recoil, provide a longer barrel life and still provide plenty of power of whitetails @ 500 yards. My choices would be something based on a 308 case. Either a 308, or a 7mm-08, or a 260. All will do what you want and with less cost, less recoil and longer barrel life than other choices.

I know this really wasn't what you were asking for but after several decades of hunting, reloading, and shooting I have some established opinions and while I recognize that others on this site know more, I know what I know works.

there is only one round that burns barrels as fast as the 6.5/.284, and that's the .264 Win. Mag! Even a .257 Weatherby mag is better. Cases for the .284 are more often than not a hit or just missed them equation. I'd go with a 7mm remington mag and forget those guys along the way. I shoot a .270 mag, and see no real problems with barrel life so far, but the bullet selection could be better (we need some 165 grain bullets). But with the 7mm you got more bullets to choose from than you got time to shoot! I was also surprised that you left out the .300 WSM round. This is another one worth the look see. Another you kinda left out was the 6.5x57AI or the 6.5x55AI, and both are well worth the look see.
gary

All of your choices will work fine, except the big .30-378 Wby which is too much everything for your stated purposes. The 6.5x284 and .257 Wby will serve you well, with low recoil. The 6.5, while a barrel burner, has a great reputation for accuracy, and you can get Lapua brass. I shoot both, and they do what they were designed to do very well.

Also give the 270wsm, 7mm wsm and 300wsm a look. Have fun picking one out!

Hey guys, thank you for the warm welcome and all advice. I think I'm now stuck on the .257 wby accumark loaded with the thompsonlongrange bullets they hand load for this particular rifle, since I do not hand load myself. But you guys have me still considering the 7mm.
Of course any good rifle would not be complete w/o a great optic so I'm thinking of either the cds 4.5 14x50 leupold or the greybull percision custom leupold with custom Reticals and bullet comp. turret. Anyone ever use these?
Again I appreciate the replys.

I see you have listed all magnum chamberings and you intend to shoot no further than 500 yards. I might suggest you start with a non magnum say a 30-06 for instance. It has more than enough punch for everything you listed at 500 yards and when your ready you can rebarrel to something more potent.

Magnums are nice but not realy needed at that range in my opnion

Jon

If I were going to be getting ammo from Mark Thompson then I would probably go ahead and get his rifle and scope set up also. It would cost a little more coin upfront but if your not doing your own ammo loading then buying the package has more value. If you piece together your own setup and pay someone to do load development that cost will add up also.:)

If I were going to be getting ammo from Mark Thompson then I would probably go ahead and get his rifle and scope set up also. It would cost a little more coin upfront but if your not doing your own ammo loading then buying the package has more value. If you piece together your own setup and pay someone to do load development that cost will add up also.:)

Are you familiar with this package? If so...what are your opinions? I like the option of the fixed recitals and the turret, like the greybull, huskemaw, & cds leupold scopes. I hope by purchasing the rifle through thomspon they could provide me with the ballistics to create the custom scope.

At one time (20 years ago probably) the 257 Weatherby was considered the flattest shooting factory cartridge made. If I remember right, it was with an 87 grain bullet, but that's probably too light for the game you mention and at the velocity you would be shooting.

If you are going to go with a custom or semi-custom gun, and buy ammo that's tailored to that gun, then do the full package, IMO (I doubt you'd regret it).

There just isn't much factory ammo available for the 257 Weatherby. But with good quality 115-120 grn bullets, you could (in theory) go out to 700 yds on deer sized game with that cartridge and still have plenty of energy for a clean kill................is the accuracy there?.........that's a reason to do the full package and get a gaurantee of some sort.

The buck below was shot full out running with a 25-06 at 350yds with 100 grn Barnes TSX. (it took a second shot, but that was my fault, about 2 inches too low on the first one.)

Best of luck:)

OK, it looks like you went with the .257 mag. Great round, but be forwarned somewhat picky! DONOT down load it from the specs in the book! The .257 mag likes big heavy bullets. I used to shoot one every once in awhile a few years back, and the blast is loud, so beware.

Lots of folks sell die sets for them, buy the Forster die set unless you can find the one that looks like a Lee collet sizer on steroids (can't think of the name, but I need a couple sets). I'll see if I can round up the brand name this weekend as it's the best belted case sizer die made.
gary

from what you are saying you would be best off with a remington sendero in 7rsaum. unfortunately you would have to find one used. the full sized 7 rem mag would also be good . alot more ammo available for it. the rem 700 varmint or heavy barrel in 7-08 would be next . the accumark is a little light weight for target shooting . it is on my list for next buy.

with the scopes you mentioned and a rifle like a sendero in 7mm mag deer sized targets at 500 yards are pretty easy. coyotes size much harder. with turret matched to your load and a good range finder you are set.

there is only one round that burns barrels as fast as the 6.5/.284, and that's the .264 Win. Mag! Even a .257 Weatherby mag is better. Cases for the .284 are more often than not a hit or just missed them equation. I'd go with a 7mm remington mag and forget those guys along the way. I shoot a .270 mag, and see no real problems with barrel life so far, but the bullet selection could be better (we need some 165 grain bullets). But with the 7mm you got more bullets to choose from than you got time to shoot! I was also surprised that you left out the .300 WSM round. This is another one worth the look see. Another you kinda left out was the 6.5x57AI or the 6.5x55AI, and both are well worth the look see.
gary

I have 4 rifles chambered in 6.5x284's and several chambered tubes in addition to that. The 6.5x284 does not "burn" barrels which is an inaccurate term anyway (throat erosion) than most of the others mentioned her. Also my bore scope does not lie. Be careful with well meaning people on the internet as they often speak about things that they have little knowledge of first hand.

I have two 6.5-284s and my brother has three. they are idea for what he said except for factory ammo selection.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts