Rifle selection for budget build

MadMike

I am needing some advice on wich rifle to get for the budget build I'm going to do. I have it narrowed down to a few rifles. All in a 308 as this serves the need for my build. The rifles I have been trying to decide on are the Marlin xs7, the savage axis, the ruger American, and the rem. 783. Looking to see what you guys would reccomend out of the rifles listed. I will be shooting it until I have the cash to complete my build then I will be rebarreling it. Thanks for any input you may have. Also if you know where to get a Stevens 200 I would consider it but can't seem to find them anywhere

Marlin = twist too slow
Remington = not in the same class as the others IMO
Ruger = I don't like tang safety mechanisms
That leaves - Savage

On the Marlin Twist doesn't matter for my needs
What do you mean Remington not in same class
On the ruger I don't mind the safety it has

With all that aside are they a good gun?

I would skip a build on any of those. If you want to do a true build, get a Rem 700 SPS and shoot as is till you can have trued/blue printed and rebarrelled. Or just get a Savage 10/11/16 series or Tikka T3, then not really much you need to do other than a stock upgrade, if you even feel you need that. The others you will just be tossing your money away doing a "build". Those are meant to be shot as is, hence a budget gun. If you really want one of those, I'd go for the Ruger, but not put any build money into it ever.

I would skip a build on any of those. If you want to do a true build, get a Rem 700 SPS and shoot as is till you can have trued/blue printed and rebarrelled.

This would be my suggestion and recommendation, as well. Or just buy a factory 700 5R Milspec 24" .308 Win. and swap the trigger, loosen and re-torque the action screws to 65 inch-pounds, and it should shoot 1/2 MOA (or possibly better) right out of the box with handloads. I know mine does. Mine regularly shoots 1/4 MOA groups at 100 yards with handloads, and all I've done to it was what I listed above ^^^.

They're in stock at Bud's right now. Also, their picture needs to be updated, the stocks are green/black for the 5R Milspec models, not gray/black. But it does still have an HS Precision stock on it from the factory.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411540287

Will not be using it for the 308 that much. I will be doing a build on it and converting to 458 socom

With all that aside are they a good gun?

Mike, because these forums generally include opinions (which is proper) rather than recommendations (which are generally dangerous) what you saw in my initial post was purely my personal preference.
If you don't have a lot of experience in comparing rifles I would offer the opinion that you would be better served by printing out the specs. on each of the rifles you're interested in and laying them out side by side so that you can compare their individual features. Include images so you can compare features like the stock, bolt position and angle, trigger style, etc.
"are the a good gun?" All of them are "good guns". But a good gun in your hands may not get a good gun rating in mine.
One last opinion. If you're buying a rifle with a "budget build" in mind for the future you're wasting your money. If you want to build a rifle, build it from scratch. The only thing you gain from tearing down an old rifle to build a "budget" rifle is that you don't have to spend money on a new action. By the time you have that action tuned you're savings might be about $300 - In which case I wouldn't choose any of the rifles you've listed.

Will not be using it for the 308 that much. I will be doing a build on it and converting to 458 socom

With these forums, we don't always know all the info unless the person provides us with it, so just for future reference, key details like this, are always important to put in your first post.

I know quite few rifleman who have built rifles for long range hunting. they used Remington 700's. they did not have them chambered in .458.

I'm fairly sure the Remington 783 and Marlin XS7/XL7 are almost the same rifle. Maybe even built in the same factory?

I have shot a friends Ruger American and it feels just as cheap as the Remington or Marlin and was not any more accurate. But they are usually a tad more expensive.

For the most part, most of the cheap rifles will be MOA or close to it out of the box anymore. The manufacturers have figured out how to make accurate rifles cheap.

Even though I have a couple Remington 783's, that would not be my suggestion to you if you know that you want a new barrel immediately. Just purchase a Remington 700 action or Savage action. Not rifle, just the action. I have no regrets with my 783's. I have learned a ton by not being afraid to modify them and I am still trying things and using them to learn on.

Although if I wanted a 458 SOCOM on the cheap I would probably buy a Del-Ton Lite AR 15 to re-barrel. Those can be found for just a bit over $400 new. The 458 SOCOM was created for the AR platform.

Some of these "cheap" rifles that have been suggested are still $1,000 guns. That's not really a fair comparison when you can still get the 783's closer to $200 after the Remington rebate.

Whatever you decide, just know that there really isn't anything as a budget build. You always end up sticking more money into these projects than originally planned.

People will say things like, "Why would you put money into a throw away rifle like the Ruger American/Savage Axis/Rem 783?"

Oh crap.... wait... isn't the Ruger Precision Rifle that everyone has a hard on for just a Ruger American rifle in a chassis stock? Yeah, pretty much. At the very least I know it is the same action. And people are spending over $1,000 on those every single day.

If you really want to do a 458 SOCOM in a bolt action, you'll probably be best served starting with a Savage action and building from there.

I would think your choice would more or less depend on which rifle has aftermarket support. Not sure what parts you'll be needing but budget guns usually come with what can only be described as "bad stocks". I don't know if anyone is making stocks for Savage Axis. Boyds makes stocks for the Remington 783 and the Marlin. The Marlin X line is discontinued and that may have some bearing on your decision. A couple different vendors make pre-fit barrels for the Rem 783. I see Boyds makes stocks for the Ruger American but I don't know if Ruger uses a barrel nut or if anyone is making pre-fit barrels for them but that would also be a factor. Pacific Tool and Gage makes bottom metal that accommodates AI mags for the 783 and EGW makes a 20 MOA base. For building a budget gun, I'd lean towards the 783 for a donor action, decent trigger and aftermarket parts availability. Only problem is, you add the cost of all those "parts" together and you no longer have a "budget" rifle.

I put together a Remington 783 (308 to 6.5x47 L). I only have 25 shots down the barrel but it's looking like it'll outshoot anything else I have.

One last opinion. If you're buying a rifle with a "budget build" in mind for the future you're wasting your money. If you want to build a rifle, build it from scratch. The only thing you gain from tearing down an old rifle to build a "budget" rifle is that you don't have to spend money on a new action. By the time you have that action tuned you're savings might be about $300 - In which case I wouldn't choose any of the rifles you've listed.

And now for some more opinion.......

If you buy just an action, you still have to buy the bottom metal. With a full donor rifle you still have that, as well as trigger. Bottom metal can run $200 or better.
Purchase rifle with bottom metal you want, if you want a DBM, purchase donor rifle with that option. If you want droop bottom, purchase with drop bottom.
If you purchase donor rifle with adjustable trigger, this can also ease the build cost over more time. Meaning you can adjust it down and use it as a step before you upgrade to a new trigger, if you ever feel the need. I have several builds that I still am using the factory trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.