264 WM or 26 Nosler

I thought the 6.5 remington mag was similar in performance to the 6.5-284 if it really is what you say it is I may be interested but I have already ordered a magnum sized Defiance action so I would have wasted space if I used it for a short action cartridge like the 6.5 rem mag

I would think the 6.5 Rem Mag would be more like the 6.5-06 or at most 6.5-06AI since they are a closer match in powder Capacity.
If I wanted to use a long action but a smaller case I would rather use a 6.5 Sherman or the 6.5 WSM with heavier bullets seated out to utilize the action.
But I don't see the problem in the 264WM from my limited use with one!

I thought the 6.5 remington mag was similar in performance to the 6.5-284 if it really is what you say it is I may be interested but I have already ordered a magnum sized Defiance action so I would have wasted space if I used it for a short action cartridge like the 6.5 rem mag

That would be a wasted action, was just trying to pitch into the discussion. I have seen several loads where the 6.5 Remington launches 129s-130s at 3200ish. According to Hogdon's loading data site when using the same powder, H4831, the .264 burns 55grns and goes 2850fps with a 140gr and the 6.5 REM burns 54grns and goes 2950fps! Pretty crazy numbers, to get the .264 at its full potential they shot 63.5grs of Retumbo with a 140 going 3030fps, that's exactly 9.5gns more powder to gain roughly 80fps.

I would think the 6.5 Rem Mag would be more like the 6.5-06 or at most 6.5-06AI since they are a closer match in powder Capacity.
If I wanted to use a long action but a smaller case I would rather use a 6.5 Sherman or the 6.5 WSM with heavier bullets seated out to utilize the action.
But I don't see the problem in the 264WM from my limited use with one!

If it werent for the fire forming part I would probably dive head first into a 6.5 Sherman or if I wanted to do S.A. Id do the 6.5 SS but I don't want to fire form I do like the design and idea of both of those cartridges though

That would be a wasted action, was just trying to pitch into the discussion. I have seen several loads where the 6.5 Remington launches 129s-130s at 3200ish. According to Hogdon's loading data site when using the same powder, H4831, the .264 burns 55grns and goes 2850fps with a 140gr and the 6.5 REM burns 54grns and goes 2950fps! Pretty crazy numbers, to get the .264 at its full potential they shot 63.5grs of Retumbo with a 140 going 3030fps, that's exactly 9.5gns more powder to gain roughly 80fps.

So I just did a little quick research on loads for both the 6.5 RM & the 264 WM seems most reloading manuals like nosler's have the load density really high for the 6.5 like 90-100% or a little over in some cases and the 264 in the 70's to low 80% range when they are loaded like that the speeds are pretty comparable im wondering why the manuals have it so low for the 264 is it pressure issues? also a lot of them were using 24" tubes which doesn't really suit larger cases like the 264 I found some other load data from realguns.com that they were using a 26" barrel & higher charges than what the books say and they are much higher than you could get out of a 6.5 RM considering the load density in the books is pretty much maxed out it shows a 160gr Woodleigh @ 3095 & 140's @ almost 3250 here is a link to the 264 loads im not sure how credible of a source this is though

Real Guns - Handload Data - 264 Winchester Magnum

I think I will be turning my Browning A-Bolt 7RM into a .264 WinMag. I don't have any 6.5 calibers yet, and the .264 WM and 7RM both use the same exact brass, magazine box, action, and bolt-face. So all I have to do is buy a set of dies, some bullets, and a barrel blank, and my build is done. :D

Now to save up to make this happen...

What would really be interesting is a 6.5 Remington Mag Ackley Improved. Would be equal to the .264 WIN in a shorter case, burning less powder. In the end, you might as well have a .264 Winchester haha, just would be neat to have something different.

What would really be interesting is a 6.5 Remington Mag Ackley Improved. Would be equal to the .264 WIN in a shorter case, burning less powder. In the end, you might as well have a .264 Winchester haha, just would be neat to have something different.

first of all, you should read what Parker Ackley had to say about the 6.5 mag! He was less than impressed with it! The generic 6.5-06 will be close to 3000fps with a 140 grain bullet. The 6.5-284 will do 3000fps with a heavy load of Magpro as well. Yet the 6.5WSM will do another 250fps with the 140 grain bullet! The 7mm WBY mag necked down to .264 ought to be very close to 3400fps, but expect the barrels makers working overtime! Still that one with a 28" barrel ought to be at least as fast as the new 260 Nosler.

maybe I think too much!
gary

first of all, you should read what Parker Ackley had to say about the 6.5 mag! He was less than impressed with it! The generic 6.5-06 will be close to 3000fps with a 140 grain bullet. The 6.5-284 will do 3000fps with a heavy load of Magpro as well. Yet the 6.5WSM will do another 250fps with the 140 grain bullet! The 7mm WBY mag necked down to .264 ought to be very close to 3400fps, but expect the barrels makers working overtime! Still that one with a 28" barrel ought to be at least as fast as the new 260 Nosler.

maybe I think too much!
gary

He was most likely unsatisfied with it because it was originally chambered in a rifle with an 18 1/2 barrel that gave terrible velocities. A 6.5 Remington will do everything a 6.5-284 will do with the same barrel length.

maybe I think too much!
gary
I have been wanting to build a .264 Wby for a while now, but the radiused shoulder is what's stopping me. I have a couple Weatherby calibers, but brass is so expensive, I've decided it would be much easier and cheaper in the long run, just to build a .264 WinMag.

So I ordered my action for a 264 before they released the 26 nosler im not sure but they both would use the same action length and bolt right?

The Nosler requires a bigger bolt face.

Oh well guess that just made it alot easier to decide looks like ill be doin a 264 with probably 28" lilja barrel and a defiance action and I may sell the huskemaw blue diamond and get their new tactical blue diamond

So I ordered my action for a 264 before they released the 26 nosler im not sure but they both would use the same action length and bolt right?

Yes.

If I wanted a hot rod beltless 6.5, I would go with a 7 or 300 Dakota or 7 LRM. The 7 LRM has a little more capacity than the 264 WM and the 7 Dakota a little more than the 7 LRM and the 300 Dakota a little more than the 7 Dakota and the 26 Nosler a little more than the 300 Dakota. All these cartridges require is a neck down which can be done with a simple sizing, neck or FL. Brass would be of equal or better quality at less cost and better availability. You would have to get custom dies which I would recommend anyway fro any custom build.

If you're looking to push a 129 gr bullet 3400 fps, the 264 WM should be able to that as I can push a 140 gr bullet 3400 fps (with RL33) in a 6.5 WSM which is slightly smaller in capacity than the 264.

Hopefully you are going to order an 8" twist barrel so you can take advantage of the 140-160 gr bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.