.264 Win. Mag vs 26 Nosler

I gotcha man, if you were to ask me mid day what I had for breakfast I would have to take an educated guess...probably some eggs.:D
I had a buddy wanting to build a 6.5 of sort, but wanted more than a creed. He asked about the 6.5 RM, after a few minutes of research you will see it has a modern cousin, the 6.5 PRC. Think of it as a modern design for those that don't like to wear a belt.:D Like you said in a previous post; hardly anything new in performance, just "modern" redesigned fluff (for lack of a better term).

morning, interesting hoopla. the 264wm when started
production was advertised to b a super hot rod.
because of the sparse choice of bullets-powders
fell by the wayside. the 7rm was the child magnum
on the block. did everything the 264wm could do
in the performance dept. today cause of the selection
of bullets and powders the 264wm has become very
popular. I for 1 have not owned a 264wm. I own the
6.5 rem mag. the 264wm is a great cartridge. will
b around for a long. I thought about a 6.5x7mmwbee.
justme gbot tum

I stand corrected gentlemen. Y'all are correct. I shoot my 260 Rem 95% of the time. Memory is slipping I guess. I have a 300 WM that I turned down to a 6.5. My pop has a 7 mag that he turned down to a 6.5 also. I can't believe y'all made me get my butt out of bed just to prove myself wrong. LoL!!! I had to go look at my notes. I have a Lyman data book I keep my notes in. My apology.

This is what forums are supposed to do, sharing knowledge and learning.

My 264 win mag is runnin 3230fps with 140 grain bergers, retumbo powder, and 26" proof barrel. I could push it faster but accuracy is in the .2's so no need to. Also brass is cheaper, if for some reason you cant find .264 brass just buy 7mm mag brass and neck it down simple as that.
My new 264 is running 3214 with 140s loaded to 3.460" in a model 700 rebarrel... 26" stainless barrel-CCI 250 and H50BMG (100% fill, but not compressed) Win 7 mag brass necked down and prepped 1.5" verticle at 525 yards on multiple days. 85 rounds down the pipe

For shots to 500yds or under I recommend the 264 Win mag. I have four. One a Rem 700 I bought new in 1964. 55 years old now. Still shoots under an inch. Have my own range & never, never never shoot over two rounds with out a complete cool down. I realize at a commercial range time may not allow the cool down, but has made a significant difference in my barrel life.

I have used a .264 Win Mag since the early 80's and see no reason to change.
If I wanted more performance, I would look to a larger bore diameter like .284 in 7mm Rem Mag or 28 Nosler.

Yes I also use a 300 H&H Mag which is my large game rifle.

Just curious, hype and published numbers aside, anyone here had a chance to compare the two? Pros and cons of either/both? If I were considering 6.5mm for a long range rig w/ higher velocity than 6.5CM or 6.5/284?
=====================================================

I had some friends build matching Noslers about a year ago. They wanted carry weight rifles for longer ranges on deer. Unfortunately, they continued to run into carbon ring issues. It might be something to research more before deciding.

They have since rebuilt the same rifles into 264's. At this point not data has been collected. After they get shooting, I will update you on the comparison.

I now have a .264 WM since my last response on this thread. Savage LA, 26" 1:7" 5R X-caliber, 20 MOA Weaver rail, Burris XTR sig rings, 6.5-20x50 Leupold LRP FFP CCH, 4-port 2-piece beast brake from MBM, and Choate sniper stock. The rifle is 13.2 LBS as seen. Went through a couple of factory boxes for barrel break-in. The last 4-shot group is at 200 yards. I think she's got potential. I will be doing load development for 140/156 Berger soon.

.264 WM Savage 111F LA + Eliteiron.jpg

.264 WM scoped at the range.jpg

.264 WM barrel break-in 3 of 3.jpg

Last edited:
I went back & forth on 26N or 264wm a couple times in deciding on a future project. I came to the conclusion for 264wm fairly quick. There should be a node somewhere between 3100-3200 fps for 140-147gr bullets that the 264wm could get to easily in a 26-27" barrel with correct powders and give good case fill. For the 26 nosler: probably would be able to hit a node somewhere around 3260fps and another around 3350 for 140-147 gr bullets using correct powders. Cases for the 26N are roughly twice as expensive. 3200fps for a 140-147 6.5 bullet is probably already going to be quite explosive and quite impressive ballisticly while still keeping recoil fairly moderate even without a muzzle brake. I like both cartridges but the 264 wm seems to be a day in day out better option. But if you just want something exotic and not concerned about a little more recoil or muzzle blast by driving those bullets to 3350 fps & beyond the 26N is fine. But I wouldn't really want to end up having to load a 26N down to a lower node that the 264wm could achieve because the 26N ends up being finicky at one of the higher nodes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.