264 Win Mag VS 270 Whby

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them for your intended purpose ... besides, it's not like it's going to be your last build. Whichever tickles your fancy at the moment ... I say go for it. :D

New bullets, powders, barrels, etc ... are changing the game tremendously. This include the mind sets established by of some of the early pioneers, i.e. Ackley, etc ...

I only have a 6.5x55 Swede for a .264 cal and is a carbine for them thick timber hunts. My current build in works is a .270 AI (just because lots of naysayers say I have nothing to gain - based on Ackley's book ... I'm sure I'll hear it from them :rolleyes::D:cool:, case in point .280 AI vs .270 AI. lightbulb

For me, I started with what bullet to use ... I will be taking advantage of the Matrix 165/175 and the upcoming Berger (170 ???). It's going to be on a Savage 110 LA with Lilja 30", 1:8, 3-groove, #6 contour ...

P4250161.jpg

P4260166.jpg

That's what is so great about America, we have plenty of choices to choose from. What we do with them is a different story. Will see how it progress! :D

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

barrel life between the two would be a minor thing too. The 264 has a slightly smaller bore and in theroy would have a bit more barrel wear but on the other hand the 270 wby is loaded to greater pressures and that would more then make up the differnce. Ill put it this way. If a guy had one of either of them it sure isnt going to be worth an argument to go out and buy the other thinking hes gaining anything. I have a 264 and love it. I dont have a 270 wby but almost bought one a couple times. Not because it was better and i didnt pass because it was inferior. Someday if the right deal comes along i still may buy one. Why? Because its fun to play with new guns and calibers.

The .264 mag has a 25 degree shoulder angle with a .254 neck length. A very poor neck / shoulder design at best. The T.P. will be well into the throat no matter whatkind of a load you shoot. The .270 mag has a shoulder angle that is about 45 degrees with a .39" long neck. That's a win win situation. But just as much as the larger shoulder length and angle help with barrel life, the longer neck also gives you better controll of the bullet as it enters the throat. Personally, I like the 7mm better than the other two, but the .270 will get the job done in spades
gary

for such a poor design id look back at the 300 win mag which has a simular setup and has won quite a few long range shooting competions. Many more then the 300wby.
The .264 mag has a 25 degree shoulder angle with a .254 neck length. A very poor neck / shoulder design at best. The T.P. will be well into the throat no matter whatkind of a load you shoot. The .270 mag has a shoulder angle that is about 45 degrees with a .39" long neck. That's a win win situation. But just as much as the larger shoulder length and angle help with barrel life, the longer neck also gives you better controll of the bullet as it enters the throat. Personally, I like the 7mm better than the other two, but the .270 will get the job done in spades
gary

300wm doesn't suffer from those problems for one reason, it has a .044" bigger hole, which changes every thing.

I have a 264 wm & was thinking of building something else i have a ss rem long mag action sitting here doing nothing. Some guys i know shoot 270 whby's and tell me thats what I should build will i gain anything over the 264 to justify building a 270 whby ? Any thoughts ?

I read one of your earlier post about building a 6.5stw also interested in 270Wby vs 270WSM. I wished I could tell you I did endless research ran every ballistic table between the 264 mag vs 270Wby and I found the 270Wby better case but I didn't. I like the 270 cal build a 270 and 270WSM shortly have a 270Wby and it be one of my deer/elk rifles.

Nothing wrong with building 264 mag either so I'm not much help.

for such a poor design id look back at the 300 win mag which has a simular setup and has won quite a few long range shooting competions. Many more then the 300wby.

I don't know about that. The last ten years or so the .300 WIn case is placed in the also ran groups in most 1000 yard shoots. The winning cases (30 caliber) are either .300 Weatherby or a sharp shouldered version of the .300 Weatherby (300 Jarrette, .300 Ackley mostly). Even the 6.5's are more common than the .300 Winchester
gary

300wm doesn't suffer from those problems for one reason, it has a .044" bigger hole, which changes every thing.

The .300 Win. Mag does have one major draw back that cannot be overcame easilly. It dosn't do really long high B/C bullets as well as the others do. The bullets end up being seated back into the shoulder in most rifles. Even a .308 Norma Mag handles long bullets better.
gary

Im not trying to claim the 264 is the best at anything. What im saying is it gets a bad rap from stuff wrote about it 30 years ago before there were powders out there that would make it work as well as it does today. Whats funny is how a round will get a reputation and never be able to shake it. Its like the 243vs6mm arguement. Rem put the wrong twist on barrels back in the day and to this day the 243 outsells it a 100 to 1 even though the 6mm is clearly a better round.

The 264 suffers a simular fate. Its about as close to the 7mag as any round can be to another. Yet the 7mag sells like hotcakes and people who have never worked with a 264 will call it overbore and a barrel burner. Shoot the same pressure loads with the same powders and the differnces between barrel life and velocitys between them isnt enough to even talk about The 7win mag and the 300 win mag both suffer with the same short neck but sell like hotcakes while the 264 never really got out of the grave. Im not one that thinks that 6.5 bullets are something majical like some do. Id be the first to say that a 7mag does everything a 264 does and a little more and that anything they do can be done by a 270wby or a 7 wby.

I own a 257wby, 264mag, 7mag, 300 win mag and 300 wby mag and like them all. I dont shoot a 1000 yards so i wont comment on how one is superior to another at that game and dont really care. I do get a chance to kill more deer at long range then most. I do crop damage shooting every year and take between 50 and a 100 deer every year. Ive seen them all work and know what does work and what doesnt. I try not to shoot past 500 yards but have pushed that limit a bit and my 264 will knock the cork out of deer at long range. Is sub moa at the range and has been going for over 10 years without burning a barrel. Granted i dont sit and shoot 500 rounds a month out of it. Its a hunting rifle. It usually gets a new load worked up every year which intails maybe a 100 rounds at most and then is used to shoot maybe a dozen deer each year. It shoots as well today as it did the day i bought it. Would i use it for a 1000 yard match? probably not but then i dont have a gun in the safe thats capable of shooting well enough to do that. that takes specialized equipment and is an overkill for what i use a rifle for. My whole point in this is that the 264 isnt the lemon alot of guys say it is. Most who badmouth it have never even tried it and are just passing on internet bs and opinions gained from gunwriters that do more writing then they do hunting.

Well said Lloydsmale.

The 6.5-284 has a .268" long neck, thats .014" longer than the 264 and nobody complains about it having a short neck.
There's a lot of armchair quarterbacks sitting back repeating what some gun writer said many years ago about the design of the 264 without any real experiance with the round. All I can say is my 264's shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups leaving the muzzle at 3200 fps or more with 140 Bergers with a BC of .613, useing cheap WW cases that I don't spend tons of time preparing, plug that into your ballistic program and see how really flat shooting the 264 really is.

Last edited:
Go 7mm STW and call it a day

* The 7mm Remington mag moves at about 3000fps with 63 grains of RL22 and a 162 grain bullet.

* The 7mm Weatherby mag pushes the same bullet to 3200fps using 72.6 grains of RL22

* The 7mmSTW pushes the same bullet to 3150fps using about the same amount of powder. 89 grains of AA8700 will still only gain you 50fps. The shows us that the cartridge is in a major over bore condition from the start. The Weatherby neck and shoulders will work better with the same loads, giving better barrel life and probably better accuracey
gary

Well said Lloydsmale.

The 6.5-284 has a .268" long neck, thats .014" longer than the 264 and nobody complains about it having a short neck.
There's a lot of armchair quarterbacks sitting back repeating what some gun writer said many years ago about the design of the 264 without any real experiance with the round. All I can say is my 264's shoot 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups leaving the muzzle at 3200 fps or more with 140 Bergers with a BC of .613, useing cheap WW cases that I don't spend tons of time preparing, plug that into your ballistic program and see how really flat shooting the 264 really is.

where have you been for the last four or five years??? There's been a constant gripe about the 800 round barrel life. The one savings grace for the round is the 35 degree shoulder angle. Had the neck been about .32" in length, it'd would have had a much longer barrel life. Long necks and sharp shoulders put together are well known for long barrel lives and better groups. A really good example is the compairison between the 6.5/.284 and the
6.5-06AI. One has a 35 degree shoulder and the other a 40 degree shoulder One has a .264" neck length and the other is about .32" in length. Case volume is similar between the two. But one will have at least a 50% longer barrel life alone (usually more than that). You can do the samething with the .308 Winchester as compaired to the generic 30-06, or the .243 to the 6mm
gary

284 winchester gives great barrel life, low recoil, great accuracy, can push a 180 grain berger 2850 in a 30" barrel, you can use it in a short action or you can seat the bullets out long to use the LA that you have. its just a great all around cartridge

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.