264 WM Shooters

I'm curious to what brand of brass everybody is using. I've had 1-2 firings in my stuff and the primer pockets aren't super tight any more. I'm using Norma brass and shooting 140 A-max @ 3175fps w/ 4831SC (215M primer). 26" tube on a Ruger m77. Retumbo and H1000 didn't have the accuracy I wanted. You guys are shooting a lot faster with seemingly better brass life. I'm wondering if it is the difference in brass or difference in powders. I know that velocity doesn't always mean pressure, but 200fps ain't no free lunch. Ill be trying the 143 ELDx in the coming weeks, so I've been sniffing around a bit
A 26" on a Ruger M77, I guess it is not a Hawkeye factory tube but custom. Not related but curious, what twist did you get on that barrel and was it throated long or short ?

It is a 77 MkII. It started out as a boat paddle synthetic. I had the smith rebarrel it for me with a 8 twist Lothar walther. As for throat, I'm not sure what reamer he used. My buddy had his 77 rebarreled using the smae as i had, done at the same time. His is a LH though. Both COAL for a 140 A-max is 3.270 to the lands.

I'm curious to what brand of brass everybody is using. I've had 1-2 firings in my stuff and the primer pockets aren't super tight any more. I'm using Norma brass and shooting 140 A-max @ 3175fps w/ 4831SC (215M primer). 26" tube on a Ruger m77. Retumbo and H1000 didn't have the accuracy I wanted. You guys are shooting a lot faster with seemingly better brass life. I'm wondering if it is the difference in brass or difference in powders. I know that velocity doesn't always mean pressure, but 200fps ain't no free lunch. Ill be trying the 143 ELDx in the coming weeks, so I've been sniffing around a bit

I am shooting 140 barnes match burners @ 3134 fps with 61 gr of 4831sc like you I tried some slower magnum powders and did not find the accuracy I was looking for I am using nosler brass and after 3 or so firings the belt is too swoolen to use them. The primer pockets are still good though I bought some norma brass hoping it was going to be better but maybe not I also have a bag of Winchester brass and Remington brass maybe ill give them a try

Norma brass is soft, unfortunately, you need to back off your loads a little bit. I use ww-super brass, life is good if I don't press the issue trying to get the highest possible velocity.
In my own experience, Winchester brass holds up the best, Federal, Norma and Nosler are all soft, and loads need to be reduded.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.