264 WM or 26 Nosler

Yes.

If I wanted a hot rod beltless 6.5, I would go with a 7 or 300 Dakota or 7 LRM. The 7 LRM has a little more capacity than the 264 WM and the 7 Dakota a little more than the 7 LRM and the 300 Dakota a little more than the 7 Dakota and the 26 Nosler a little more than the 300 Dakota. All these cartridges require is a neck down which can be done with a simple sizing, neck or FL. Brass would be of equal or better quality at less cost and better availability. You would have to get custom dies which I would recommend anyway fro any custom build.

If you're looking to push a 129 gr bullet 3400 fps, the 264 WM should be able to that as I can push a 140 gr bullet 3400 fps (with RL33) in a 6.5 WSM which is slightly smaller in capacity than the 264.

Hopefully you are going to order an 8" twist barrel so you can take advantage of the 140-160 gr bullets.

I plan on using the matrix 160's and yes im getting a 8" twist

Well looks like its time for me to call it a night. I'm all over the place tonite, haha. Completely forgot the size of the .264s rim diameter, thought it was smaller for some reason. Oh well.

Then Nosler has the same .535 bolt face as the 264 WM

That's what I thought but I asked the question to make sure so I guess my mind is not made up then still on the fence also I possibly could be interested in some wildcats as long as no fire forming is involved a 6.5 LRM does sound kinda cool

That's what I thought but I asked the question to make sure so I guess my mind is not made up then still on the fence also I possibly could be interested in some wildcats as long as no fire forming is involved a 6.5 LRM does sound kinda cool

I just noticed that the LRM has a .528 rim. I don't think that should be a problem but you might look into it. A call to Gunwerks would be a good idea.

If you're looking to push a 129 gr bullet 3400 fps, the 264 WM should be able to that as I can push a 140 gr bullet 3400 fps (with RL33) in a 6.5 WSM which is slightly smaller in capacity than the 264.

Hopefully you are going to order an 8" twist barrel so you can take advantage of the 140-160 gr bullets.

Very interesting! This has me really looking forward to testing RL-33 in my .264WM with 140's. If I get anywhere near your results, I will be ecstatic! I have another 6.5 that is about to be punched out to .264WM. It has an 8 twist Krieger 5R barrel on it. I am really curious to see what it does with 160 grain Matrix VLD's and RL-33.

What is the barrel length on your 6.5WSM? Both of mine are 26".

Very interesting! This has me really looking forward to testing RL-33 in my .264WM with 140's. If I get anywhere near your results, I will be ecstatic! I have another 6.5 that is about to be punched out to .264WM. It has an 8 twist Krieger 5R barrel on it. I am really curious to see what it does with 160 grain Matrix VLD's and RL-33.

Mine is a nitrided 27" 5C Broughton

If you end up testing the matrix 160's with rl 33 let us know your results as I am really curious aswell

If you end up testing the matrix 160's with rl 33 let us know your results as I am really curious aswell

It will be awhile before I get any testing done with the Matrix bullets. My factory .264 WM has a 9 twist. It will be tested with Berger 140's. I have another 6.5 with an 8 twist barrel that I am going to have re-chambered to .264 WM. That is the rifle I will test the 160's in, but I don't expect it to be ready right away.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.