264 WM or 26 Nosler

I was in your position recently, wanted a fast flat shooting 6.5 mm hunting rifle. I scrapped the 264 wm idea and went with the 26 Nosler. As far as being a barrel burner, just nitride/melonite it and you'll have years of use as a hunting rifle.

Chris

I was in your position recently, wanted a fast flat shooting 6.5 mm hunting rifle. I scrapped the 264 wm idea and went with the 26 Nosler. As far as being a barrel burner, just nitride/melonite it and you'll have years of use as a hunting rifle.

Chris

How long

Chris

How long until your 26 nosler is launching lead im really curious to see what some real world results are beins right now we only have noslers propaganda

What's good about the Nosler 26 is,a commercially made case that could be also manufactured by not just Nosler,but may also by Remington and Winchester someday and that would make it much cheaper for reloaders.Now,I could see a whole line of other calibers that would be better sellers coming from this parent case in .277,.284,.308,.338.I could see the performance being very similar to the Dakota line of cartridges.

me personaly id take the 264 hands down. 20 years from now it will still be with us and where with the nosler round be. As to being a barrel burner it amazes me that people still buy into the 264 being such a barrel burner and the 7rem and wby mags being so much better. id bet you my house that if you shot two identical guns one in 7mag and one in 264 at the same pressure with the same powder there wouldnt be a 100 rounds differnt in useable barrel life. there about as close to being the same as any two rounds of a differnt caliber can be.

For someone who does not have either round, it would be wise to sit back awhile and find out what the round will really do, there will be plenty of info out there soon.

As for me, I already have a 264WM that I am quite fond of. I don't shoot the bullet Nosler is promoting (haven't seen it yet) but with being able to get over 3200 with a 140, I figure the new round may better the 264 by 100fps maybe 150fps, not enough for me to be concerned with.

I am more interested in seeing what the capability is of using that case in the Rem 700 Action or a custom of comparable mag length in 30 cal. with a 215/230 Berger seated to mag. length.

For someone who does not have either round, it would be wise to sit back awhile and find out what the round will really do, there will be plenty of info out there soon.

As for me, I already have a 264WM that I am quite fond of. I don't shoot the bullet Nosler is promoting (haven't seen it yet) but with being able to get over 3200 with a 140, I figure the new round may better the 264 by 100fps maybe 150fps, not enough for me to be concerned with.

I am more interested in seeing what the capability is of using that case in the Rem 700 Action or a custom of comparable mag length in 30 cal. with a 215/230 Berger seated to mag. length.

I cant wait too much longer cause I am currently rifle less so I need something up and running when hunting seasonarrives I guees I can get most everything here ready so when I finally decide I get get it built quick

I cant wait too much longer cause I am currently rifle less so I need something up and running when hunting seasonarrives I guees I can get most everything here ready so when I finally decide I get get it built quick

Most of the time, rifle builds don't happen quickly. IME, even if you got started today, your rifle is unlikely to be ready by hunting season.

Since you are without a rifle, I recommend that you buy something off the shelf for now. When you are ready, commission your build. With a rifle in hand, you won't run the risk of having to do something at the last minute to be ready to hunt.

Any good gunsmith has a fairly long backlog of work. You being in a hurry won't change that no matter what you do. The last situation in the world you want to find yourself in is having the success or failure of your hunt riding on a gunsmith's deadline, which will seldom be met.

I'm a little surprised not many comments on this post I was hoping to get a little more input to help me with my decision

I'm a little surprised not many comments on this post I was hoping to get a little more input to help me with my decision

Get a 6.5 Remington Magnum. Does close to the same thing as the .264 in a short action sized casing and burning 10grs less powder.

Get a 6.5 Remington Magnum. Does the same thing as the .264 in a short action sized casing and burning 10grs less powder.

I thought the 6.5 remington mag was similar in performance to the 6.5-284 if it really is what you say it is I may be interested but I have already ordered a magnum sized Defiance action so I would have wasted space if I used it for a short action cartridge like the 6.5 rem mag

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.