264 WM or 270WSM

brinky

Thinking of looking into a flat, hard hitting number in a semi-light package. Looking at some basic ballistics it seems that the 270 WSM may be what the 264 hoped of being. And, in a shorter overall package with more availability of ammo and components. I'm thinking WT, black bear, maybe mulies maybe elk and can't afford sheep.

Go with the Shortmag. From 160gr partitions, down your gold with factory barrel twists etc. There's new bullets out there that go to 165-170gr (Matrix) that blow 7mms out of the water if you have a fast enough twist to stabilize em'. Watch bigngreen's 800+ yd Elk video if you want visual proof.:D
Plus no belt on the case. I love mine.
The 264 was a neat idea, & performed well, but, compared to the 270 wsm..... Not gonna win, in my opinion. The 270 wsm gets my vote.
Whenever Elk are involved, especially at distance, my personal minimum is a 270.

My vote is for the 264 and 140 grain bullets. Just got mine back from the gunsmith and will try it on antelope and deer this fall with any luck drawing a tag. I sold my 270 wsm a few months ago. I shot a 270 win for years and won the 270 wsm in a raffle - it just never quite did it for me. So, now I'm on to three main calibers a 25-06, a 264 win mag, and a 300 wsm for now....

It seems to me that when I was kicking back and forth on caliber about a year ago, the ballistics that I looked at suggested that the 264 would beat a 270 WBY beyond 750'ish yards. I'd have to look back through some of my research though.

Either way, dead is dead and a good shot with a flat shooting .264" bullet vs a flat shooting .277" bullet shouldn't make a huge difference.

I used a 270WSM since it's introduction with good success. I used conventional bullets like the 140-150 conventional bullets like the Accubond. A few years back I switched to a 6.5x284 with 140 VLD's and quickly found an extra 300 yards of effective killing range with outstanding accuracy. If there is any difference in killing power, given comparable conditions, due to the bullet diameter difference between the two, I can't see it. I haven't tried the 165 Matrix because of the twist of my rifle. I know I could get better ballistics but its not that great a difference based upon the results I'm getting with my 6.5x284. I hunt mostly deer sized game with these rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.