264 WM or 26 Nosler

stephenr6565

I was dead set on building a 264 WM but now with the advent of the 26 Nosler I am not so sure. I know the nosler is non belted so in theory it should probably be more accurate also I have read nosler's comparision of the two they say it will shoot 129 ablr @ 3400 fps and the 264 WM with 130 ab @ 3100 which I know the 264 will launch 130's faster than that probably should shoot 130's in 3200 -3250 range so I am just wondering what the pros and cons of each cartridge will be so I can make up my mind and get my gun built also I plan on shooting the 160 grn matrix bullet

I was dead set on building a 264 WM but now with the advent of the 26 Nosler I am not so sure. I know the nosler is non belted so in theory it should probably be more accurate also I have read nosler's comparision of the two they say it will shoot 129 ablr @ 3400 fps and the 264 WM with 130 ab @ 3100 which I know the 264 will launch 130's faster than that probably should shoot 130's in 3200 -3250 range so I am just wondering what the pros and cons of each cartridge will be so I can make up my mind and get my gun built also I plan on shooting the 160 grn matrix bullet

Belted magnums are just as accurate as non-belted when neck sized.

I really think you will need to wait and see how all of this turns out. The reality is that not much is really known about how the .26 Nosler actually performs. Bear in mind that the .264 WM is already a VERY overbore cartridge. Newly available powders are just now able to take the WM to its full potential in a 26" barrel. Though I would expect the .26 Nosler to offer some performance advantage over the WM because of its advantage in case capacity, just how much of an increase remains to be seen. Another question is what barrel length will be necessary to take full advantage of the cartridge. Personally, I'm not willing to go much over 26" on a rifle intended for field use.

A friend was at the ShotShow and talked to the Nosler people. They comfirmed the 26 Nosler is a real barrel burner. Check out the 6.5 Sherman

Jay

What's the intended purpose of this rifle you want to build? If it's something that your going to be out banging steel or punching holes in paper every weekend, the barrel won't go too long with the 26 Nosler. The .264 Win. Mag will go it bit longer before it's shot out.
If it's just going to be a dedicated LR hunting rig that might only get 50 rds or less put through it a year, that's a different story. I would give the 26 Nosler a while to play out and see what the real world results are before I went and had one built. gun)

-Mike

I have a 27 3/4" Shilen 9 twist barrel 264 Win mag and I get 3350 fps with 130 Accubonds and GREAT accuracy. Cases are easy to come by. All I do us run 7mm Rem mag cases into my FL 264 Win mag sizing die and out comes a perfect 264 Win mag case. :D "Barrel burner" is how you look at it. Take any of the BIG case 7mm rounds and shoot them just like the BIG case 264s and you will not find much if any difference in barrel life.

What's the intended purpose of this rifle you want to build? If it's something that your going to be out banging steel or punching holes in paper every weekend, the barrel won't go too long with the 26 Nosler. The .264 Win. Mag will go it bit longer before it's shot out.
If it's just going to be a dedicated LR hunting rig that might only get 50 rds or less put through it a year, that's a different story. I would give the 26 Nosler a while to play out and see what the real world results are before I went and had one built. gun)

-Mike

I will be used only as a hunting rifle

If I wanted a Hot Rod 6.5 and had to choose between a 264 WM and the 26 Nosler, the 264 WM would get zero consideration.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.