.264 WM, 260 rem, or what else?

Why is that? P.O. Ackley deliberately setup his neck dimensions identical to the factory chamberings so the shooter could use factory loaded ammo in a pinch, and to fire-form without having to form cases by hand first, and then fire-form, all while still being fairly accurate.

Look at the neck dimensions and OAL of the .25-06 Rem & .25-06 Ackley... They're the same OAL for the case.

He could own an Ackley and just shoot factory ammo for now, and everytime he shoots one, out pops a newly-formed Ackley brass for him to save for when he DOES start reloading.

I'm sorry i guess i was misinformed about the Ackley cartridges. I didnt mean to give out false information. I was under the impression that the ackley rounds had to be either fire formed or run through an ackley die. Guess i should do my research before i open my mouth:D

I'm sorry i guess i was misinformed about the Ackley cartridges. I didnt mean to give out false information. I was under the impression that the ackley rounds had to be either fire formed or run through an ackley die. Guess i should do my research before i open my mouth:D
It's all good man. They DO have to be fire-formed...That's what blows them out to make them an Ackley Improved version. But it was designed to where you can shoot factory loaded ammo out of them, if you absolutely had to, and as you're doing so, you're creating Ackley Improved brass that you're ejecting for when you do reload them.

Yes, you will need Ackley Improved dies to reload for them.

However, If you are going to own an Ackley Improved, it would be best to be an experienced reloader, and not a newbie, since there is no real published load data for Ackley Improved calibers.

What Mud said is a very good idea. He could get a new barrel with an Ackley chamber for a popular cartridge like a .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, or even the old .30-06, have the barrel cut at 26" with a medium sized contour like a #4. Shoot good factory rounds that are loaded with good bullets like SSTs, Accubonds, Bergers, A-MAXs, or anything that is a good popular long range slug and he would save money by killing two birds with one stone. Not only would he be hunting and getting good practice with the factory cartridges, he would be making Ackley brass. The rifle would most likely be around 1 MOA with the factory rounds and be sub MOA with the reloaded Ackley brass. These three cartridges are also easy on barrels and very popular so they would be great for starting into long range. Then again, choosing to go with one of these standard rounds that isn't Ackley Improved would also be great, only lose 100+- fps from the Ackley.

The 280 Ackley sounds like a pretty good idea for the OP. Because when he does get around to reloading he will already have a bunch of fire formed brass ready to go. Then he would have a mean, long range machine:D Ive trying to get my brother to get his 280 chambered for an Ackley improved but he doesnt want to listen to little brother:D

What about a 6.5 creedmore in a model 788 action?

That would be a good cartridge if the 788 is a short action. I know you don't reload, so if its a long action take advantage of it and chamber it for something a little bigger and a popular shell such as .270 Winchester or .280 Remington.

Why does it seem like no one use 270 or 25-06 for commercially available long range loads, i would think theyd be great rounds, one is right between 7 and 6.5, and the other is between 6.5 and 6. wouldnt those be two sweet spots for accuracy and long range efficiency?

Why does it seem like no one use 270 or 25-06 for commercially available long range loads, i would think theyd be great rounds, one is right between 7 and 6.5, and the other is between 6.5 and 6. wouldnt those be two sweet spots for accuracy and long range efficiency?

The problem in both of those diameters is a lack of good long range bullets. With better bullets and, perhaps, revised standard rifling twists, both .257 and .277 based chamberings would receive a considerable performance boost.

However, given current supply and market conditions, I would not expect to see improved designs in either caliber for a long time to come.

Benchracer is correct...The only thing killing the .257 calibers as long range capable hammers, is the lack of heavy high-BC bullets.

Same goes for the .277 & .323 (8mm) markets.

This is the main reason I wish Hornady would introduce an A-MAX for the .277cal diameter.

Well it wouldnt really make sense for them to. Because the 27cal is not a target cal. The A-Max is a match bullet so it wouldnt really make sense. I mean they would probably be popular and work well but they wouldnt be used for match purposes. THey probably should introduce it though.

Well it wouldnt really make sense for them to. Because the 27cal is not a target cal. The A-Max is a match bullet so it wouldnt really make sense. I mean they would probably be popular and work well but they wouldnt be used for match purposes. THey probably should introduce it though.

This is true but you really can't tell if its a good target diameter or not since there's not really any high BC match slugs for it. The .338 diameter has never been used for matches either but they now have a .338 A-MAX. I think it would be smart if they toughened up the A-MAXs jacket and marketed it as both a target and hunting bullet. Would surely gain more users because of their accuracy, BC, and their polymer tip would allow it to consistently expand at all velocities and the thicker jacket would lead to better controlled expansion at close ranges and eliminate any possible explosive factor they have. Introducing different weights for the 7mm would also help them compete with the Berger 180s and Sierra 175s. Think they could have further success with this line if they did this.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.