264 Win Vs 7mmRM preference & why?

You can never have to many in my mind. I have a number of guns that fill the gaps in the calibers 257 bee, 6.5 PRC, 270 win, 7-08, 308, 300 wm. Get what you want and enjoy it. Opinions will very but at the end of the day if those opinions aren't paying for it then they really don't matter. But listen with an open mind

Why not own the American classic 264 win, the 7mm rem is kind of a "do all" round and many better (IMO) now but I have a couple rem mags and they all shoot great and serve purpose as great rifles. 264's I use for medium game with 130 grain speedy loads and enjoy its knockdown and accuracy.

If something is of interest get it and your prob love it, if something f doesn't interest you getting trying to love it prob wont work.

Cheers

This is kinda where I am at.

Sure there's not much gap between the .308 & .338 but I'm just getting into .338 so we will see if it's any better than .308.

I invested heavily in 6.5 caliber a long time ago but really 7 outshines it at really long distances. 800 and under, call it a wash.
The difference between the 308 and the 338 is seen when hunting. After 40 years of removing clients bullets in my taxidermy the bullet that that forms better than any other is the 338. It doesn't matter which brand of bullet it is. They are almost a perfect mushroom. Even speer bullets survive very well. The only thing I've ever seen even close is Barnes solid coppers.

7mm simply put the bullet. Own both, shoot 150's out of the .264- 160's out of the 7mm
I also own Both. 178, 180 out of the 7mm, 147, 156 out of the .264. What do I use, depends if I am hunting Elk or something smaller. When I choose, I consider the weight of the rifle I want to carry, and the recoil. The weight consideration, because of the terrain and the recoil. Recoil consideration because less recoil the better.

That is funny... Your screen name is 340 Weatherby for everything, and you say a 7mag kicks too hard.
Good point. My 340 has a break, custom stock/custom build, and I only shoot 200grs (I have shot bigger than that 250s and up to 300grs and then it makes a 7 seem like a 243)😅 To be fair to the 7s, all the ones I have shot (probably a dozen different or more) were older guns with not the best stock designs as they were probably all 45yrs old now or older ( a Rem 700 or Model 70 from the 60s I'm sure kicks much harder with the same load then say a new Tikka, Howa, custom or newer 700 or 70). Since I have a couple 264s and several 300's, as at least person commented, there's only a small gap going to the 7mm and lil gain, thus I have no need for one. I'm sure you have all probably shot something that kicked pretty hard, but then the stock was changed to a more modern design and the recoil was reduced. Just one man's experience and opinion. If you wanna shoot something that stomps the shooter regardless of stock or build, try a 358 STA or a 505 Gibbs. Course they do that to the receiving end too.

Thats true but the 270's man competition was the 06. The "magnum" craze and speed craze became a thing with the weatherbys which the win mag was brought out to compete with. Lets face it until the creedmoor no 6.5 was ever really popular with the masses.
True for the US, not globally. 6.5 Arisaka, 6.5 Carcano, and grandpa to them all the 6.5 Swede

Across between a 264 win and a 7 stw you get the 6.5 stw. Just got the reamer waiting the barrel. 264 is my favorite. I shoot heavy and light. 108 lapuas and 145 matchburners. 108s at 3750 fps and 145 with a bc of .703. I do have more than 1 rifle so I only shoot light in one and heavy in the other. Put a 145 grain with a bc of .703 at 3250 in your phone and see what you get. Sonic to 2250. The 6.5 stw may go 3450.

So, I have had a 264wm. Decent MTU profile ss barrel. I couldn't get it to shoot under 1 moa. Not cool in my opinion. I set the barrel back an inch and rechambered with a different reamer - still couldn't tighten up my groups. Little better but not ideal. I rechambered it to 26 Nosler. Now I was able to shoot fairly consistent .375" groups with the occasional. 300" 5-shot group. Running 140 vld's 3300fps comfortably. I could go faster. This is with 85-86gr of slow burning powder.

I have several 7mm guns and 6.5 guns. I will never go 264wm or 26 Nosler again. Barrel burner cartridges and very inefficient.

Just built a hunting rig for my son in 6.5 Sherman SS. Impressive. He runs 156's 3000fps easily with H1000. Can approach 3100fps with some of the RL powders. Powder weight, you ask? Around 60gr. Compare that to the 264wm and 26 Nosler. Still a barrel burner - not quite as bad. Son's barrel is 24". My 264wm was 27", 26 Nosler 26" (didn't set back when I rechambered from 264wm to 26N).

I currently have 6.5x47L, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 6.5-284. 6.5-284 is also a barrel burner but only slightly compared to the mags.

The 6.5-284 and Shehane variant along with the 6.5SS are where I will stay for 6.5 bullet max performance.

To answer your question, finally, I would definitely go with the 7mm Rem or, even better, the 28 Nosler. I know, I know, what about the 7 PRC? Maybe. I'm not a Hornady horndog. Hornady is pretty, I'll leave it at that.

Longer barrel life with the 7's. Heavier bullets - better BC translates to farther distances for taking game.

7mm Rem offers a heck of a lot more choices when it comes to commercial cartridges. You can get 264wm, 26N, and probably even more so in 7 prc once all the horndogs start demanding it. You can outperform all of these in 7mm if you handload and go with a wildcat cartridge. Sorry, I didn't mention the 260 above, but I don't have any experience with. I know it's a great cartridge and can be made hotter (improved) and accurate as heck, but I don't or haven't played with it.

Sorry for the book.

Recent Posts