264 Win Vs 7mmRM preference & why?

Hi LVJ. I never ment to imply that 500 yards is Max Range !! ! Simply that both calibers. With the correct bullet ,at the correct velocities,are capable of taking deer at 500 yards in the hands of a skilled shooter ! Are they not ???

I have had many 7RM's but not a 264 YET‼️ A MAJOR reason I havnt had a 264 is because I am LH, and availability for 264 leftys Sucks❗ im now 55 so older ones know how availability for leftys has been. It is better but not great.
For a working rifle I prefer stainless synthetics. I hate when I dent my fancy wood stocks.‼️
When one looks at the 264 case its very EASY TO SEE where Remington Totally Copied the 264 and added .020 to the diameter.
I know both, especially the 264 needs a 26" pipe or better, the 7???
What is your opinion on 264 vs 7RM??
I've owned a couple 264's for the better part of 30 years and always wondered why winchester didn't just neck the 300 wm to 264. The increased case capacity capacity should yield 150-200fps over the 264.

Hi LVJ. I never ment to imply that 500 yards is Max Range !! ! Simply that both calibers. With the correct bullet ,at the correct velocities,are capable of taking deer at 500 yards in the hands of a skilled shooter ! Are they not ???

Easily. Known more than a few that have taken elk in excess of 900 yards with the 7RM and 168gn Bergers. 500 yards on deer shouldn't be a problem.

Not true. Stock design makes a world of diff in recoil as well as brake or not, type of brake......
I agree that stock design makes a big difference on felt recoil. I disagree that it makes a difference on recoil energy or recoil velocity (unless we're talking about different stock weights, to which the point I was trying to make was - if rifle weight, powder charge, etc. are all the same).

Love my 7 rem mag. 168 Berger's at 3020 1/2 moa all day long. My 6.5 prc with 143 eldx precision hunters shoots .600 moa. Still working on load development with adg and brass like them both.

I am not a big fan of comparing apples to oranges. It boils down to personal preference and intended purpose. I have .264 WM built to propel the 156 Bergers, and I like it thus far. If you have had many left-handed 7MM RMs, why did you not re-barrel it to .264 WM?
Yep

I own both a 7mm mag with 140 ballistic tips and a 264 win mag with 140 ballistic tips, identical down to the tikka 26" preffered prefit 1-8" twist on both wearing 3-18x44 Z5's. For MY purposes axis deer out to 500 yds I can see the difference when hit with a 7 mag which hits harder for whatever reason. Recoil is about the same, velocity is about the same, trajectory is about the same.

Now this is where to me on several rifles I did notice loading was easier for the 264 win mag, to me it was more accurate and faster to find a sub MOA and consistent load. Brass is harder to find and more expensive for the 264 win mag, bullets in each have their unicorns but overall to me the 7 wins because of the way how I see animals just drop and die faster.

You cannot go wrong with either one…. But if you want something better…. 270 wby mag with a 1-8" twist!!

Aloha
Are you kidding me I'm in the process of sending my parts out to build an 8 twist 270 wby. Plan to shoot hammers in it. Let me know how you run yours. Thanks Tribb

Remington asked him and the owner of Randy Custom Rifles out of Cody to design. Les was the architect of the design. Les sold it to Remington for lots of moolah. How's that grab ya? Some people just need to stay mute
Whoever created the 7 RM copied the 264 and just added.020 to the diameter

Whoever created the 7 RM copied the 264 and just added.020 to the diameter
They both have a 2.5" total case length. Why? Because that was the same basic length cases that worked well in the standard 30-06 based actions, which were plentiful and could be had for very reasonable prices compared to the true magnum length actions available in the late 40's and early 50's. They both were preceded by many wildcats that were basically the same; Ackley, Frank Barnes, Mashburn, Apex, and Durham all developed similar cartridges just to name a few. But if you want to follow it back to its logical starting spot , you have to go back to 1912 and look at what Holland and Holland was doing at the time. Yep, 1912, long before Winchester or Remington had a clue they wanted or needed a 2.500" magnum case in any caliber, Holland and Holland introduced the 275 H&H magnum. If you can dig up the case dimensions on it you won't have any trouble figuring how the .264 and 7mm mags got here.