264 Win Vs 7mmRM preference & why?

If there were only one modern centerfire cartridge in existence able to launch 150 gr bullets we would all be just fine…no really, we would.
AF2E6FA3-24FF-4887-A322-491567BD63BE.gif

I've owed and shoot a 7 Rem mag and while I don't have a 264 win mag I do have a 6.5 PRC and it's similar in performance. The 6.5 magnum calibers are nice but I think it depends on what you're wanting to do with the gun. At the end of the day the
7mm Rem Mag will do everything a 264 win mag can do and more. You can compare velocity and BC all day but keep it in the same class and the 7 wins. What I mean by that is if you compare heavy for caliber 6.5 bullets to heavy for caliber 7mm bullets, the 7 will beat it. A 140 grain 6.5 may shine vs a 140 7, but compare it to a comparable bc bullet like a 162 or 168 and that 7 will beat it. 7 Rem Mag has a lot of versatility. Really light and fast options and some very heavy high BC. Either will make a good choice for hunting. I just see more options for the 7 Rem mag on components when I'm out and about.
I have a 7RM and a 6.5 PRC also. Both are great guns and ballistics are very similar although the 7RM will out perform the 6.5 PRC out to 500yds. The recoil of 6.5 PRC is far less than the 7RM; while I am not recoil sensitive, I find the 6.5 PRC is a lot more fun to shoot and I am more accurate. (maybe the gun) Also if you reload 60 grs of powder vs 70 grs. Just something to think about. I am on the band wagon for a new 7PRC!

Exactly what I was saying….without act saying! Point being…..for many it's not a detrimental issue! memtb
I agree, barrels are like brake shoes on a car. If you're going to go fast you are going to replace them a lot more often than if you plan on taking it out for a Sunday drive once in a while. Point is, barrels and brake shoes are consumables.

0A118047-0A5D-49BC-91B5-E5BD99E0648A.jpeg
2D09FC3D-4549-4C82-A559-7C5E729F597A.jpeg
7EB0A96D-15C9-430C-87AC-4F2473313CFD.jpeg

No hate here for the 7mm Rem Mag. I've got quite a bit of experience with the said cartridge but no longer own one. My current 7mm interests are centered on a 7mm Remington saum and a 280 Remington. Both throated long for the bullets of my choosing. This new build however is of a cartridge I've always wanted to give a run. The 264 Win Mag! I've got experience with multiple 6.5 saums and 6.5 prc's. Both are fantastic, but this current (just completed) 264 Win Mag was purpose built for my own future experience. Trued Remington 700 receiver. 26" Krieger #4 sporter 1:8 twist. Manners EH3 in scorched earth. Throated for the Berger 156 and the Lapua 139 scenar with its long bearing surface. Interestingly enough, when I took measurements of these 2 bullets, they were extremely close in length from base of bullet to ogive, as well as bearing surface length. Within a few thousandths. I've always figured the best way to really know the merits of any cartridge, is to do your own research.

If you are buying 7RM. It's twist rate and head height will be closer to what you want.

For building….pick 'em! Both could be great in a long rang or mid range rig. Bullet edge goes to the 7 RM, but 6.5 is not far off. Go with 8 twist for either and a custom throat to match bullet and mag length!

If you are buying 7RM. It's twist rate and head height will be closer to what you want.

For building….pick 'em! Both could be great in a long rang or mid range rig. Bullet edge goes to the 7 RM, but 6.5 is not far off. Go with 8 twist for either and a custom throat to match bullet and mag length!
Les Bauman created the 7mm mag