.264 win mag vs. 6.5x.284

Parkerb14

Which one is better for long range hunting with a 140 gr bullet. I see they both have around the same velocity...the 284 does it with less powder, but why dont many people use the .264 win mag for long range?

Last edited:
I like the 264 for it's available ammo. Most stores have some, and gun shows have tons of boxes of old ammo. I reloaded it for 20 yrs myself when I had one. It was a one shot one kill rifle. I doubt we'll see a factory 6.5-284 any time soon unless Marlin loads it. The 264 was the second 'western' big game calibre created, the first was the very capable 1000yd 300H&H magnum in (yes) 1920. The 264 Winchester Magnum died suddenly when word got out in the late 70's early 80's that the calibre actually had a dual diameter bullet. Long range aficionados/ outdoor writers(some experts they are) dropped it like a hot potato and it's sales/production have slid downhill ever since. If I was choosing I'd go with the 264 and it's heman sized case, but the current rage is with the tiny little 6.5-284 so maybe you otto be current.

Well, like you said there isn't a 6.5 in a repeating action on the market. Thats the reason im considering the .264. If you had to choose between that and a 7mm rem mag what would your choice be?

142 Smk

I think the 264 win would be a great round loaded with the 142 SMK. If you are comparing it to the 7 Rem for a hunting round i would go with the 7. THis is one of the reseaons why it has faded. THe 7 has alot of bullet selections and can be loaded with 140 to 180.

For the 264 vs 6.5x284..I think the 6.5 will be loaded with factory ammo soon. WIth the likes of Savage chambering for it and winning f-class comps, I would think other would follow.

I want to play with a 6.5X284 due to the accuracy they are getting. Do not see many 264 on the fireing line!

.264 mag

my brothers 264 sendero shoots 1 inch groups at 200 yards . took a little fussing around. we also have 5 6.5-284s between us. with mrp -2 powder and a 28 inch barrel i can approach the .264 velocity out of a 26" barrel. if it matter to you if you get 3150 to 3200fps with the 6.5-284 or 3300 with the 264. both of those have less reloading data available than the other more standard cartrides be cautious while working up loads . the 264 only had win brass untill recently; i heard nosler came out with it. the 6.5 -284 has lapua available. deer and targets : 6.5 or 264 if you add elk 7mmrem mag. roninflag

When you increase case size, all other things staying the same, you can expect an increase in velosity of 1/2 of the increace in percentage of case capisity. What that means is when you get into larger cartridges it takes alot more powder to get a smaller increase in velosity. That plus you will get aprox. 5 more yrds of max. point blank range for each increase of 100 fps. With the large volumes of powder burned and the fact your shortening the barrel life with the hotter loads it becomes a matter of is the small advantage worth the extra cost.
I personally believe that that the BC of the bullet is alot more important in long range accuract than is it`s velosity.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts