264 Win Vs 7mmRM preference & why?

JiggyIi

I have had many 7RM's but not a 264 YET‼️ A MAJOR reason I havnt had a 264 is because I am LH, and availability for 264 leftys Sucks❗ im now 55 so older ones know how availability for leftys has been. It is better but not great.
For a working rifle I prefer stainless synthetics. I hate when I dent my fancy wood stocks.‼️
When one looks at the 264 case its very EASY TO SEE where Remington Totally Copied the 264 and added .020 to the diameter.
I know both, especially the 264 needs a 26" pipe or better, the 7???
What is your opinion on 264 vs 7RM??

I have had a 7 MM RM of one brand or the other for a long time. I have lots of reloading stuff for it. Hard to beat it for the mid sized ammo, 160-175, if the twist rate works. I will likely always own one. Never owned a 264 WM. Do have a 6.5-284 1-8 and is is a keeper. I have a custom 28 Nosler now and likely will be re-barreled with fast twist 7 mag when the time comes.

I have had a 7 MM RM of one brand or the other for a long time. I have lots of reloading stuff for it. Hard to beat it for the mid sized ammo, 160-175, if the twist rate works. I will likely always own one. Never owned a 264 WM. Do have a 6.5-284 1-8 and is is a keeper. I have a custom 28 Nosler now and likely will be re-barreled with fast twist 7 mag when the time comes.
Hi, have you ever ran 140's or 150's thru yours?
If so, velocity?

264 all day and 5 times on Sunday. Every 7 I have ever fired and there have been many, kicks like a mule so 7 doesn't always win. Better BCs with 264, again no 7 win. Only 7mm I have ever owned was an STW, good gun with a brake recoil was tolerable for light bullets (140gr ok, 160 175 not so much), but since I have been a .264 guy since my first one, a Sako Finnbear in 1975, I have no use for any 7mm and someone I met wanted the stw way more than I did so now its his to toy with. Small 7s won't do anything a 308 / 264 can't do and the big ones won't do what a plethora of 300s will do. Just one man's view!

Hi, have you ever ran 140's or 150's thru yours?
If so, velocity?
Never ran the light bullets, so no info there. IMO, the 140s are best in the .264 riles, just a better fit. Again,IMO, there is a fairly good gap between the 145ish bullets for the .264 and .277 rifles and then up to the 160 weight bullets pick up on the .284 rifles. Neither the .264 or the .277 "standard" rifles handle the 150 weight bullets extremely well unless special fast twist barrels are used, again IMO. Kinda like the age old 28ga vs 20ga vs 12ga shotgun debate.

I do like the 7MM RM in the solid 140 to 150 weight bullets like the 146 Hammer Hunter. Should scream........I may have to order some and fool around and find out.

I've owed and shoot a 7 Rem mag and while I don't have a 264 win mag I do have a 6.5 PRC and it's similar in performance. The 6.5 magnum calibers are nice but I think it depends on what you're wanting to do with the gun. At the end of the day the
7mm Rem Mag will do everything a 264 win mag can do and more. You can compare velocity and BC all day but keep it in the same class and the 7 wins. What I mean by that is if you compare heavy for caliber 6.5 bullets to heavy for caliber 7mm bullets, the 7 will beat it. A 140 grain 6.5 may shine vs a 140 7, but compare it to a comparable bc bullet like a 162 or 168 and that 7 will beat it. 7 Rem Mag has a lot of versatility. Really light and fast options and some very heavy high BC. Either will make a good choice for hunting. I just see more options for the 7 Rem mag on components when I'm out and about.

I've owed and shoot a 7 Rem mag and while I don't have a 264 win mag I do have a 6.5 PRC and it's similar in performance. The 6.5 magnum calibers are nice but I think it depends on what you're wanting to do with the gun. At the end of the day the
7mm Rem Mag will do everything a 264 win mag can do and more. You can compare velocity and BC all day but keep it in the same class and the 7 wins. What I mean by that is if you compare heavy for caliber 6.5 bullets to heavy for caliber 7mm bullets, the 7 will beat it. A 140 grain 6.5 may shine vs a 140 7, but compare it to a comparable bc bullet like a 162 or 168 and that 7 will beat it. 7 Rem Mag has a lot of versatility. Really light and fast options and some very heavy high BC. Either will make a good choice for hunting. I just see more options for the 7 Rem mag on components when I'm out and about.
I have a 260, 6.5x55, lol (Never a Needmore) of course a 7RM, but always wanted a 264, or?? 6.5-300, LH of course,, typical gun nut with most everything from 22 hornet to 458 Lott
Yes I still have some RH bolts and many ambidextrous rifles
Lol need to fill the niche but appreciate opinions

I feel your pain in the LH search. I wanted a magnum back in 2021 and settled with the Bergara Approach in RH. I've had a few issues with light primer strikes, but it is a tack driver. I'm still doing load development but almost every load has been under 3/4" with berger 168's.
Go Weatherby lol see my post on that. 😁

I have had many 7RM's but not a 264 YET‼️ A MAJOR reason I havnt had a 264 is because I am LH, and availability for 264 leftys Sucks❗ im now 55 so older ones know how availability for leftys has been. It is better but not great.
For a working rifle I prefer stainless synthetics. I hate when I dent my fancy wood stocks.‼️
When one looks at the 264 case its very EASY TO SEE where Remington Totally Copied the 264 and added .020 to the diameter.
I know both, especially the 264 needs a 26" pipe or better, the 7???
What is your opinion on 264 vs 7RM??
I am not a big fan of comparing apples to oranges. It boils down to personal preference and intended purpose. I have .264 WM built to propel the 156 Bergers, and I like it thus far. If you have had many left-handed 7MM RMs, why did you not re-barrel it to .264 WM?

Personally having 1 6.5mm cartridge in the house is 1 too many. I'm not a hater, but I'm geared up for my different 7mm's, 30 cal's, etc.. and the 6.5mm and 270 will never get the level of effort in load development, etc. they ought to get. To me it's kinda like some people feel having the in-laws over...

I am not a big fan of comparing apples to oranges. It boils down to personal preference and intended purpose. I have .264 WM built to propel the 156 Bergers, and I like it thus far. If you have had many left-handed 7MM RMs, why did you not re-barrel it to .264 WM?
Lol because the need for another rifle or caliber over shadowed the $$$ aspect and added cost of re-barreling. I've only owned 1 LH 7RM, Its a 700 BDL Rem, all the other were RH