1 1/2 inch gun

rob257

I have a light weight Ruger that only shoots 1 to 1 1/2 two shot groups. How far can I shoot deer or hogs and still make ethical hits

Assuming it is shooting that at 100yds, have you shot it at 200, 300, 400 yds? If we assume a Linear increase, 1.5" per 100 yds that would be a 6" group at 400yds and if we assume a somewhat standard 8"-9" kill zone on a whitetail and about the same on a hog, I'd say to be ethical, you are looking at no greater than 400yds. However, the true ethical verification is for you to shoot 3 shot groups with that rifle at 200, 300, 400yds + or - and see Exactly what it shoots at those ranges and then you will have your answer. Good luck.

Assuming it is shooting that at 100yds, have you shot it at 200, 300, 400 yds? If we assume a Linear increase, 1.5" per 100 yds that would be a 6" group at 400yds and if we assume a somewhat standard 8"-9" kill zone on a whitetail and about the same on a hog, I'd say to be ethical, you are looking at no greater than 400yds. However, the true ethical verification is for you to shoot 3 shot groups with that rifle at 200, 300, 400yds + or - and see Exactly what it shoots at those ranges and then you will have your answer. Good luck.
What he ☝️ said

Is this a stock Ruger trigger? If so, that may be worth looking into.

I have an old Tanger in 300 WM and replaced the sear from Rifle Basix. Best $40 I ever spent. Took the super stiff trigger out and got it shooting under an inch with the factory barrel (1974 era). Not really the answer to your "E" question, but may get groups smaller.

https://riflebasix.com/product/ruger-ru-t/

Last edited:
My 30-06 shoots a consistent 1-1.5 moa at 100 yards. I figured it would be my general purpose out to 300 yards, more like 200 yards. Then I shot it on paper for fun at 300 yards, 1.5" group off the bench. I then put 17 oz water bottles on the 450 yard berm and hit them 8 out of 10 times. Those were with 180 gr Partitions. It's best to test out to your hunting distances.

While at my local club range many many are satisfied with that kind of grouping. Thats a respectable 100/150 yd. group, if you want to shoot farther then work on getting a tighter 100 yd group...sub one inch outside/outside,

All my other guns are sub moa. I am not satisfied at all. Considering trading for Ruger American or having Eric Hoover rebarrel it