$100K 1/2 MOA rifle?

I like the way you think…..the 460 is a nice handgun! But, many years ago I quit carrying both, handgun and rifle. Today it's either/or! If it's the handgun…..the 460 will be it! memtb

I fished the small streams all over the Alaska coast from eagle river to willow, on inland towards Denali . the gultona river was fun place to fish. But we called it the hour of the bear at about 9:30 pm. You left the river if you valued your life. 1975 and 76. Two summers there. One of the best times of my life. Carried a 870 pump. First round was slug then 00 buck, figured it would be closer for second and third shots. Never took took it off my back when I left the truck.

Last edited:
To the heavy rifle carriers... I bow in my wimpyness to you. When I was younger maybe but even then my heaviest at the time was a Browning BAR that i had. If I shoot something like a deer it's generally gut it there and either drag it to where you can drive the truck up to it. I can sort of see it pack hunting because the gun is packed, but we don't have that type of hunting here on the prairies. On the flip side... I have loaded up and hauled a number of moose out of the bush by myself and I ain't going to lie... now I look at where an animal is standing and decide IF I want to do that much work before I pull the trigger. Lol. I think back to a friend whose grandfather shot a bull moose in 3 feet of water at the end if October. Which up here means there is generally ice on the sloughs. I think that was the first step to him quitting hunting!! Lol

But I also am a big believer in good gear. My specialty so to speak is moose hunting and I had a guy here build me a hunting knife out of Rex 121 which is a specialty tool steel just because of how easily moose hair dulls a knife. The 12" piece of steel before we started forming it was $200 alone. The guy went through 42 sanding belts just for shaping it. When I asked him if that was a lot he looked at me in disbelief and said usually I make 3-4 knives from 1 belt!!!! Then we sent it to the states for specialized heat treating. I can chip the knife if I try and pry apart bones with it but we got three elk one night right when I got it and I told the guys I want to see exactly how good it was. Well after 2.5 elk (gutting and skinning) you could still shave the hairs off your arm. then they got tired of screwing around waiting to do it all with 1 knife. When I get a moose or elk, it's generally quarter it and carry it out to the truck a quarter at a time if your unlucky. If your lucky drive up to it.

There is no doubt a heavier gun points better. But your generally not packing it up here and then pulling it out. It's carry or slung because you might walk up on something at 50 yards in a ravine or creek bottom or need to take a long shot at something out in the field that gets up quickly.

I don't let gun weight stop me from buying my guns and hunting with them. But now i think of it as more what am I doing with the gun in my hand? Am I bush hunting? Sitting/standing over a big slough or ravine? Shots going to be 200 yards or 500 yards? Start or end of season? Which surprisingly is getting to be more of a factor then I would have thought. The comfort level with what you have in your hand is of course what counts the most.

And as I type this I just realized that I own a valmet 412s (over under rifle) in 30-06 that's about 10.5-11 lbs scoped. I have never hunted with it yet because it had a flimsy scope mount base and I just recently got a good solid scope mount for it. Guess we will see how far I go in the snow before I have a heart attack??? Lol

To the heavy rifle carriers... I bow in my wimpyness to you. When I was younger maybe but even then my heaviest at the time was a Browning BAR that i had. If I shoot something like a deer it's generally gut it there and either drag it to where you can drive the truck up to it. I can sort of see it pack hunting because the gun is packed, but we don't have that type of hunting here on the prairies. On the flip side... I have loaded up and hauled a number of moose out of the bush by myself and I ain't going to lie... now I look at where an animal is standing and decide IF I want to do that much work before I pull the trigger. Lol. I think back to a friend whose grandfather shot a bull moose in 3 feet of water at the end if October. Which up here means there is generally ice on the sloughs. I think that was the first step to him quitting hunting!! Lol

But I also am a big believer in good gear. My specialty so to speak is moose hunting and I had a guy here build me a hunting knife out of Rex 121 which is a specialty tool steel just because of how easily moose hair dulls a knife. The 12" piece of steel before we started forming it was $200 alone. The guy went through 42 sanding belts just for shaping it. When I asked him if that was a lot he looked at me in disbelief and said usually I make 3-4 knives from 1 belt!!!! Then we sent it to the states for specialized heat treating. I can chip the knife if I try and pry apart bones with it but we got three elk one night right when I got it and I told the guys I want to see exactly how good it was. Well after 2.5 elk (gutting and skinning) you could still shave the hairs off your arm. then they got tired of screwing around waiting to do it all with 1 knife. When I get a moose or elk, it's generally quarter it and carry it out to the truck a quarter at a time if your unlucky. If your lucky drive up to it.

There is no doubt a heavier gun points better. But your generally not packing it up here and then pulling it out. It's carry or slung because you might walk up on something at 50 yards in a ravine or creek bottom or need to take a long shot at something out in the field that gets up quickly.

I don't let gun weight stop me from buying my guns and hunting with them. But now i think of it as more what am I doing with the gun in my hand? Am I bush hunting? Sitting/standing over a big slough or ravine? Shots going to be 200 yards or 500 yards? Start or end of season? Which surprisingly is getting to be more of a factor then I would have thought. The comfort level with what you have in your hand is of course what counts the most.

And as I type this I just realized that I own a valmet 412s (over under rifle) in 30-06 that's about 10.5-11 lbs scoped. I have never hunted with it yet because it had a flimsy scope mount base and I just recently got a good solid scope mount for it. Guess we will see how far I go in the snow before I have a heart attack??? Lol

At least you are still out there doing it! Very admirable.

Found my $100k load. 5 shots into .1 this morning 🙌🏼🙌🏼
BED4EA91-8839-4100-BBC5-5E582390EABD.jpeg

FALSE!! The first 8 shots went into a .4 group and then shots 9 & 10 made it a 1 MOA group. I think I have a promising start to this brand new load though lol
9C544D00-8355-41E3-876C-703CFC2375F0.jpeg

Buuuut...the first two were money

Good point, and of course most always (not always but most...) if the critter isn't down and out in 2, 3 at most the you have a real rodeo on your hand. That's why I don't give a flock about 5 shots.

I'm about hitting the turf, and getting 3 downrange and on a pie plate at any range in which I'll shoot to kill in sub 10 seconds. Groups off a bench don't do much for me once I have a load. But...that's just me.

Way too many times (when I was guiding professionally) I'd have a shooter but they would have issues getting to it quick enough. They were too darn used to mucking with a bench and this and that.

Lastly, do the same drill. Pie plate (at name your range that you feel is your max) from a standing position hit the turf and get a round on in 3 seconds or less.

If a brown bear come for you from twenty yards away you won't even get your pistol out of the holster.
My "Lady Smith" .460 ;) is the 5" model, and my hunting .460 is the custom shop 14" XVR. Both are easy enough to actually carry and the small one doesn't have to ride in a holster all the time.

While I'd always prefer the 1895 Trapper in .45-70 the Little Lady is a little lighter and more handy, and when it does ride rides a lot easier on the pack instead of in it. She packs one heck of a punch also.

My "Lady Smith" .460 ;) is the 5" model, and my hunting .460 is the custom shop 14" XVR. Both are easy enough to actually carry and the small one doesn't have to ride in a holster all the time.

While I'd always prefer the 1895 Trapper in .45-70 the Little Lady is a little lighter and more handy, and when it does ride rides a lot easier on the pack instead of in it. She packs one heck of a punch also.

I really want a 5" for "everyday" in the field carry, but can't find one or justify the cost! I do love my 8 3/8" for hunting. It's wearing a Burris Fastfire 3 moa, and from sticks I'm pretty confident out to around 150 yards.

If and when I get the 5"…..they will both likely be carried in a Galco Kodiak holster. Though, I "might" consider one of the kydex cross chest for the 5". But for my hunting gun, it's leather only…..I much prefer leather as it's much quieter in a hunting situation!

By the way, if you're interested in a pretty good shot shell for your 460 …..pm me! memtb

That is some mighty fine shootin Huntnful!! I have never shot a ten shot group ever with my hunting rifles, most are magnums. Very entertaining thread I might add. Cheers, Jason

Everyone talks about what they think will happen when they encounter one of these big nasty things. I wasn't worried as much about the big brown bears on the coast as I was their friends more inland. You're fishing or walking to the river or along the river. Suddenly the brush parts at really cost range and you scare the bear. It's just like you, scared about the close encounter. It either runs off and you clean your pants out. Or, here it comes especially if cubs are involved. You have two to three seconds to drop what's in your hands and get your weapon for a central nervous system shot. Body shot still gets your Easter eggs smashed. We never fished alone. We were always armed heavy.