$100K 1/2 MOA rifle?

The forest service in Alabama has rifle ranges scattered around the state. Most all are100 yard ranges. And they see a lot of use. Wood post driven into the ground with chicken wire fence to attach the targets. Very simple, but fun to shoot on. We carried the steel spinner there couple of days ago. My friend stuck two tooth picks into the wood post at 50 yards and said I bet you can't hit one. This is the part where I brag a little. No I didn't hit it the first shot, or the second. But number three did. My first shot went by so close the toothpick moved to lean to the right. Now I can't line up the reticle on it. Must center punch it. Wish it had been videoed.

Here we go

Attachments

• 20230331_193212.jpg
    20230331_193212.jpg
    935 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230401_224011.jpg
    20230401_224011.jpg
    1,017 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230403_183949.jpg
    20230403_183949.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 54
Ok... I gotta admit that I'm going to love this discussion/argument.

For starters... As far as I am concerned... if you can carry a 10+ lb gun hunting you are a bigger/better man or woman then I am. The only people who take 12 lb rifles hunting are those that are paying someone to carry it or are 100% road hunters where the gun sits on the console until your ready to shoot at something. I am finding that even my 9+ lb magnums (30-378, 300 RUM, etc) are getting too heavy to carry walking a half mile along coulee edges and fields. I want my ultralights more and more lol.

I have a Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag that will shoot 0.5" 5 shot groups with 165 and 180 grain loads. IF... I do my part and I have learnt that I am not good enough to regularly do it AT ALL. Back when I was doing lots of practicing maybe I would have been cocky enough to think about it, but I don't think I was ever nieve enough to take on that bet.

I used to obsess with my hunting guns had to shoot tiny 5 shot groups. NOT 3 shot groups. Bedding them... trigger jobs... load development. Some would get there others wouldnt get close.

Then I realized a big thing (for me anyways) and it came with a Sako AIII in 300 RUM that the first 2 shots were 0.5" apart CONSISTENTLY and the third shot goes 6" high. It has a pencil thin barrel and it heats up FAST. Yet that gun had become a favorite because when it comes to shooting a running bull elk... it made the shot just so easy. You knew when you pulled the trigger that you were hitting what was in the cross hairs.

So here's a question... how important is it that your first shot be precisely where you are aiming? I don't care if the gun shots a 5" group... but the first shot hits exactly where you want it every time.

Don't know about you folks but after shot 1... the deer etc has gone from standing to I'm going somewhere else. After the second shot, the animal has found overdrive and if there's a third... the animal is doing MACH CHICKEN to the next galaxy.

Can say one thing... I have emptied a 5 shot clip at a coyote out to 800 yards and I swear he found a higher gear with each shot. The shots were close. A friend turned and said... well he won't have to rake a schite for a week his pipes are so clean.

Ok... I gotta admit that I'm going to love this discussion/argument.

For starters... As far as I am concerned... if you can carry a 10+ lb gun hunting you are a bigger/better man or woman then I am. The only people who take 12 lb rifles hunting are those that are paying someone to carry it or are 100% road hunters where the gun sits on the console until your ready to shoot at something. I am finding that even my 9+ lb magnums (30-378, 300 RUM, etc) are getting too heavy to carry walking a half mile along coulee edges and fields. I want my ultralights more and more lol.

I have a Rem 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag that will shoot 0.5" 5 shot groups with 165 and 180 grain loads. IF... I do my part and I have learnt that I am not good enough to regularly do it AT ALL. Back when I was doing lots of practicing maybe I would have been cocky enough to think about it, but I don't think I was ever nieve enough to take on that bet.

I used to obsess with my hunting guns had to shoot tiny 5 shot groups. NOT 3 shot groups. Bedding them... trigger jobs... load development. Some would get there others wouldnt get close.

Then I realized a big thing (for me anyways) and it came with a Sako AIII in 300 RUM that the first 2 shots were 0.5" apart CONSISTENTLY and the third shot goes 6" high. It has a pencil thin barrel and it heats up FAST. Yet that gun had become a favorite because when it comes to shooting a running bull elk... it made the shot just so easy. You knew when you pulled the trigger that you were hitting what was in the cross hairs.

So here's a question... how important is it that your first shot be precisely where you are aiming? I don't care if the gun shots a 5" group... but the first shot hits exactly where you want it every time.

Don't know about you folks but after shot 1... the deer etc has gone from standing to I'm going somewhere else. After the second shot, the animal has found overdrive and if there's a third... the animal is doing MACH CHICKEN to the next galaxy.

Can say one thing... I have emptied a 5 shot clip at a coyote out to 800 yards and I swear he found a higher gear with each shot. The shots were close. A friend turned and said... well he won't have to rake a schite for a week his pipes are so clean.
My rifle will be 11lbs 4oz without a bipod this season 🫠. So far i've hunted with 7.5, 8.5 and 9.5lb rifles. I'm looking forward to the added stability. Hopefully it doesn't kill me packing it around this season haha.

1st shots are definitely the most important, no question about it.

"The only people who take 12 lb rifles hunting are those that are paying someone to carry it or are 100% road hunters where the gun sits on the console until your ready to shoot at something."

Big time BS on this, while I'm not a fan of that heavily of a rifle for hunting in the Rockies I do know a fair number of hardcore's who carry rigs with such weight and do very well with them! And these fellas could walk/climb/hike most all into the dirt...

Personally, I prefer my rigs @ 9 lbs "all up" (sling, rounds, scoped) and 7.5 is about right for me anymore.

Different strokes I'd say:)

I just got the weight on my ML and it's 12 lb on the nose. Perfect weight. Absolutely wouldn't want it any lighter. Perfect to carry myself anywhere. And NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO TOUCH MY GIRL. so I'll be carrying her myself happily

I have carried a 13 lb rifle on hunts and I don't road hunt at all. I have found that 10lb rifles are the happy place for me. I carry my rifle on my pack and hardly notice.

I would very strongly advise to "not" carry your rifle on your pack were we hunt. But, I guess you can keep your Pepper Spray in your empty hand! 😉 memtb

If a 12# rifle is too much.... who's packing out what you shoot? 😲

I would very strongly advise to "not" carry your rifle on your pack were we hunt. But, I guess you can keep your Pepper Spray in your empty hand! 😉 memtb
God made some men big, and some men small. But Samuel Colt made them all equal...

Then Smith & Wesson made us equal to the bears with the .460 🤣