$100K 1/2 MOA rifle?

That is some mighty fine shootin Huntnful!! I have never shot a ten shot group ever with my hunting rifles, most are magnums. Very entertaining thread I might add. Cheers, Jason
Thank you!!

I think the point that some people are missing is that a larger group, no matter what sequence you shoot it, shows the potential dispersion of your rifle in the grand scheme of things. I understand "the first two shots are all that matters" and what not. But what I want to know is in the worst case scenario, how far apart those two shots could potentially land.

The group is to see how bad you can be. Not how good you can be. For me anyways lol

Thank you!!

I think the point that some people are missing is that a larger group, no matter what sequence you shoot it, shows the potential dispersion of your rifle in the grand scheme of things. I understand "the first two shots are all that matters" and what not. But what I want to know is in the worst case scenario, how far apart those two shots could potentially land.

The group is to see how bad you can be. Not how good you can be. For me anyways lol

IMO the worst case situation is dictated by the shooter not the rifle. Zero doubt we're the weakest link...

Huntful, did you shoot that group off the ground and a bipod, off a bench on bags or a mechanical rest like a lead sled kind of thingy?

IMO the worst case situation is dictated by the shooter not the rifle. Zero doubt we're the weakest link...

Huntful, did you shoot that group off the ground and a bipod, off a bench on bags or a mechanical rest like a lead sled kind of thingy?
Yeah, I'm of course speaking to the rifle's repeatable performance. Anyone can suck and shoot lead all over the place lol. I make similar shots in the field like a I do when shooting paper also. All my shooting is prone, off a bipod and rear bag.

Here's my exact layout just after making a 974 yard shot on a buck. I use my game bags and rain jacket in a stuff sack for a rear rest though.
FA30664C-EF97-4825-9D49-39BBEE03CCA0.jpeg

And the shot placement. You can see the entrance about 3" behind the shoulder.
C661921B-40F4-4D0A-A669-783D843C10DC.jpeg

I think you're 100% right. Because I would definitely wager $100, or maybe even $1000 on a couple my rifle/loads going into .5"

But to have one that will do it every single time and putting down $100k to prove it, makes you think a little more haha.
I think this is more of a psychological test than an equipment test.

That first pic is gorgeous country! I spend a lot of time in that world.

So the group you started the thread with was shot off the ground, bipod and your rear bag?

That first pic is gorgeous country! I spend a lot of time in that world.

So the group you started the thread with was shot off the ground, bipod and your rear bag?
It sure was a cool place to kill a buck!

Yes sir. Well, I actually shoot out of the bed of my truck to get up out of the dirt lol. This isn't a hunting rifle though. It's a 16lb 6.5 PRC practice gun lol

FA37F7AD-8621-4AAE-B05A-06792EB2B678.jpeg

Years ago... a friend and I came up with the brain storm that we were going to order consecutively numbered 454 Casulls (biggest and baddest you could buy at the time asides from a 475 Linebaugh which was complete custom made) and we were going to go to Alaska from grizzlies. We were all set to buy UNTIL we got the guide price. Well... that quashed our dreams on the bear hunt.

I used to live in Manitoba and I regret (but don't regret) not going for Polar Bear. At the time any manitoba resident could buy (over the counter) a polar bear license and go. But at the same time here... black bears are pretty much vermin. So you shoot them because fewer people are hunting them. My neighbour at my cottage shot 11 or 12 one year because either at his farm or one of the neighbours they were coming in and eating all the cat/fog food and you would walk into your garage or shed and there would be a bear sleeping there. He literally had a bear sleeping on the couch in his grain cleaning terminal office one day.

I surveyed in the northwest territory and Yukon in 96 and 97 and we had to have shooters with us the first year. Smallest accepted cartridge was a 7mm RM. From the instrument, the guy would walk 100 yards, then the Rodman was allowed to go another 100 yards max. All for a potential max 100 yard shot if necessary.

The one time I was exactly 32 feet short of a bear who was sitting at the lath we had to tie in just like a puppy dog. As we took turns rodding and surveying I call back on the radio. Hey you should this cute little bear. He's sitting like a puppy dog just looking at me. Back over the radio came... little??? How little?? Well then it dawned on me it was a cub.

I slowly backed up the hill. We called in the helicopter and it chased off the sow and cub. BUT... the sow and cub proceeded to walk down the cut line and used everyone one of our 3' lath as a mini scratching post. So we had to wait for her to move on down the cut line. Hustle up and re-set up the lath so we could sight in on it, then go back do our survey and then do it all over again at the next lath. The worst of it was if you didn't make it down the cut line to the next helicopter landing pad, you were spending the night in the bush. Well we wanted to shoot that sow sooooo badly!!!

Just before I went up there, a guy had climbed a tree but the grizzly climbed up enough to put a claw in his ankle and pulled him out of the tree. Literally played with him like a soccer ball. Then after he was done playing with him... just walked away. Asides from the ankle and some bruising no worse for wear.

And being in camp (fantastic food!!!) And having to get up in the middle of the night to go to the washroom trailer. Walking down along the row of trailers (they were about 50 feet apart) and here walking the other way was a grizzly sow with 2 cubs. Obviously what I was carrying for a pee shooter was of little concern to her. They just kept on walking and so did I lol.

I (we were waiting at the helicopter for the survey crw to get there) and we seen a guy get bluff charged by a grizzly. Literally at about 5 feet away the bear shot to the side of him. The guy was wearing a Walkman NEVER SAW THE BEAR. Well Walkmans were banned on the site the next day!!!

Yeah, I'm of course speaking to the rifle's repeatable performance. Anyone can suck and shoot lead all over the place lol. I make similar shots in the field like a I do when shooting paper also. All my shooting is prone, off a bipod and rear bag.

Here's my exact layout just after making a 974 yard shot on a buck. I use my game bags and rain jacket in a stuff sack for a rear rest though.
View attachment 456231
And the shot placement. You can see the entrance about 3" behind the shoulder.
View attachment 456232

Now….."The rest of the story"! The deer heard the bullet approaching and when sprinting over to see what it was …..was hit by the bullet! 🙀 I guess that curiosity killed the buck! 😂

Unwanted humor aside……nice shot! 👍 memtb

Long bed for sure, I was going to guess either black paint or white and a lift....:)

Either way it's a nice rig! I'm not the one to carry that bad boy in the mountains that's for sure though. I like the way you roll with a practice gun

It sure was a cool place to kill a buck!

Yes sir. Well, I actually shoot out of the bed of my truck to get up out of the dirt lol. This isn't a hunting rifle though. It's a 16lb 6.5 PRC practice gun lol

View attachment 456243
I have a similar rifle (16.5lb) that I'm actually planning to hunt a 650 yard field I have access to this year. If I had to do it I'd probably grab this one right now.
35EB0AB7-B9C5-464F-9B05-042641414E31.jpeg
08EB7070-0B66-4185-945A-A40A24F3D845.jpeg

How it shoots $1.20 a round factory norma lol
140E6A4C-04CD-496A-898E-BE27CA603F51.jpeg

Hell practicing on this rifle has made me reconsider dragging it up a mountain, I'm planning to do a ruck match with it for 3 days and 35 miles, why would I drag it through that to shoot steel and not take it to shoot an animal I care more about hitting well? Interesting idea.