3200 fps deer gun 18 inch barrel

To each their own, but....why? Obtaining the fps goal is going to push you to low BC bullets in any caliber and negate the ballistic advantage. Yeah, a 300WM/WSM will get you there with 125gr BTs but I wouldn't choose that setup, I'd shoot a more ideal bullet and take my medicine in a fps reduction.
This will be for shooting 400 yards or less where fps rule and bc don't matter

I must agree with these guys - ??why?? Blind hunting, running deer, short barrel hopped up bullet. . .doesn't make sense. But it can be done and lord knows I've done my fair share of unsensable shooting! I do think the better route would be a better bullet i.e, weight/construction with a little sacrifice in the speed department.

400 yards and less with no time to range targets. No dialing needed. Small targets of opportunity like coyotes are easier to miss with a slower gun.

Code:
Cartridge          : .25-06 Rem
Bullet             : .257, 100, Nosler BalTip 25100
Useable Case Capaci: 63.595 grain H2O = 4.129 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 3.250 inch = 82.55 mm
Barrel Length      : 19.0 inch = 482.6 mm

Predicted Data for Indicated Charges of the Following Powders.
Matching Maximum Pressure: 60000 psi, or 413 MPa
or a maximum loading ratio or filling of 103 %
These calculations refer to your specified settings in QuickLOAD 'Cartridge Dimensions' window.
C A U T I O N : any load listed can result in a powder charge that falls below minimum suggested
loads or exceeds maximum suggested loads as presented in current handloading manuals. Understand
that all of the listed powders can be unsuitable for the given combination of cartridge, bullet
and gun. Actual load order can vary, depending upon lot-to-lot powder and component variations.
USE ONLY FOR COMPARISON !

26 loads produced a Loading Ratio below user-defined minimum of 85%. These powders have been skipped.
Powder type          Filling/Loading Ratio  Charge    Charge   Vel. Prop.Burnt P max  P muzz  B_Time
                                      %     Grains    Gramm   fps     %       psi     psi    ms
---------------------------------  -----------------------------------------------------------------
Alliant RL26                        97.3     61.3     3.97    3258    99.1    60000   19119   0.935  ! Near Maximum !
IMR 7828ssc                         98.9     59.6     3.86    3204    93.7    60000   18327   0.919  ! Near Maximum !
Alliant RL17                        87.9     54.1     3.50    3199   100.0    60000   17156   0.922  ! Near Maximum !
Alliant RL23                       102.5     58.8     3.81    3188    99.8    60000   17294   0.929  ! Near Maximum !
Alliant RL22                       100.1     59.3     3.85    3187    95.4    60000   18267   0.924  ! Near Maximum !
AA MagPro                          100.2     62.4     4.05    3184    91.1    60000   18655   0.933  ! Near Maximum !
Ramshot Magnum                     100.3     64.0     4.15    3180    96.2    60000   17757   0.924  ! Near Maximum !
Alliant RL16                        94.0     53.7     3.48    3170    99.7    60000   16978   0.930  ! Near Maximum !

I have a 25-06 I might cut down and try some 100 gr

you could do a 6mmAr turbo. Fits in standard ar mags. Seems to be a great round. Not sure the 6mm grendel would get to that. And the6mm 6.5.5 grendel is great for deer.

Already have a 243wssm ar15. More of a prairie dog rig for me because it has a bull barrel. For deer I prefer a light weight short bolt action.

My deer rifle is a 6.5x47L shooting 100 TTSX's at 3100 FPS. Most of my hunting is over food plots and there's no where I can shoot over 400 yds. High BC doesn't matter and I'll take the velocity over BC any day at those ranges. The little TTSX also out penetrates any Berger ever made, I've not been able to keep one in a deer yet.

I realize this forum is about long range hunting but a heavy high BC bullet offers no advantage at shorter ranges and has some disadvantages. At normal hunting ranges I'll take a fast lightweight TTSX, they shoot flatter, kick less, give better penetration and just flat put a smackdown on game.

For the OP there are a lot of rounds that will give 3200 with an 18" barrel and a light TTSX starting with the 243 and 80 grainers. I can't see wanting to go all the way to a 300 WSM for deer but it'd work.

Last edited:
A 30-06 with 125 Barnes TSX, 125 Nosler BT, AB and 125 Hornady SST will do it out of a 20" barrel with RL17. All are capable of 3200+ fps
Remember you may also gain some back depending on your Suppressor.

If you ever have to use factory ammo some of the 270 WSM with 130gr bullets should get you close but may need a little more barrel. Handloads will be no problem to 3200 and a good 130gr 270 will be a reliable performer on game.

My deer rifle is a 6.5x47L shooting 100 TTSX's at 3100 FPS. Most of my hunting is over food plots and there's no where I can shoot over 400 yds. High BC doesn't matter and I'll take the velocity over BC any day at those ranges. The little TTSX also out penetrates any Berger ever made, I've not been able to keep one in a deer yet.

I realize this forum is about long range hunting but a heavy high BC bullet offers no advantage at shorter ranges and has some disadvantages. At normal hunting ranges I'll take a fast lightweight TTSX, they shoot flatter, kick less, give better penetration and just flat put a smackdown on game.

For the OP there are a lot of rounds that will give 3200 with an 18" barrel and a light TTSX starting with the 243 and 80 grainers. I can't see wanting to go all the way to a 300 WSM for deer but it'd work.
Speed is one of the things that causes bullets to blow up at close range and keeps them from penetrating, I know that certain bullets preform differently, but you wouldn't have to have that kind of speed for things to come together, is all I am saying. If some one wants to be able to say they have a real fast gun, that's ok too. Some bullets are harder than others, like the Match King Sierras, I have had them go clear through a deer at 557 yards, shot from a 30-06 they were not going fast enough to open up. Shot a buck two shots, one hit behind the left front shoulder and traveled diagonally through the length of the deer and was just under the hide of the right hind quarter, this bullet traveled a long ways through a deer at a speed that was slow enough to keep this hollow point bullet from even opening! The second shot the deer was broadside and hit behind the shoulder and it went straight through, small entry, small exit. There are endless combinations that will work, just making a suggestion, not knowing what the person is really wanting or needing from a deer rifle for this application. It is always nice to hear other options before buying or building a gun you may regret later. Good luck hunting and be safe.

400 yards and less with no time to range targets. No dialing needed. Small targets of opportunity like coyotes are easier to miss with a slower gun.

I used to think I was very good in range estimation until I started using rangefinders, I was humbled on how way off I was. With the right reticle and confirmed actual drops, I was able to point and shoot to harvest (well sort of :cool:) a coyote at 528 yards but I rely heavily on my range finder. I used the 525 yards tick mark and the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS out of my .270 AI did its job ...

BApPAUQ.png

9hofF1A.jpg

TvaquHK.jpg

Speed is one of the things that causes bullets to blow up at close range and keeps them from penetrating, I know that certain bullets preform differently, but you wouldn't have to have that kind of speed for things to come together, is all I am saying. If some one wants to be able to say they have a real fast gun, that's ok too. Some bullets are harder than others, like the Match King Sierras, I have had them go clear through a deer at 557 yards, shot from a 30-06 they were not going fast enough to open up. Shot a buck two shots, one hit behind the left front shoulder and traveled diagonally through the length of the deer and was just under the hide of the right hind quarter, this bullet traveled a long ways through a deer at a speed that was slow enough to keep this hollow point bullet from even opening! The second shot the deer was broadside and hit behind the shoulder and it went straight through, small entry, small exit. There are endless combinations that will work, just making a suggestion, not knowing what the person is really wanting or needing from a deer rifle for this application. It is always nice to hear other options before buying or building a gun you may regret later. Good luck hunting and be safe.
As a bullet maker I agree totally with the bullet choice.

On a side note the problems you describe may not have been a bullet problem but a lack of high enough twist rate for the buller to track correctly and stay point on to deform properly.

Steve

As a bullet maker I agree totally with the bullet choice.

On a side note the problems you describe may not have been a bullet problem but a lack of high enough twist rate for the buller to track correctly and stay point on to deform properly.

Steve
Exactly !!
Just because it punches a round hole in paper doesn't mean it is stabilized enough to keep going straight once it hits meat. I think many bullet "failures" can be attributed to this.

Exactly !!
Just because it punches a round hole in paper doesn't mean it is stabilized enough to keep going straight once it hits meat. I think many bullet "failures" can be attributed to this.
Remington 700 30-06 : 1 in 10 twist 190 gr. Match king HBT near max load IMR 4350 53 gr. muzzle velocity approx. 2650 fps, at 557 yards its less than 1900 fps, not fast enough to open up. The 30-06 is not a magnum! And the twist is right. I have shot deer nearly that far with the 178gr Amax out of the same gun and it expanded great! Simply a better performing bullet at that range and that speed, its a little faster about 2775 fps muzzle velocity. Different bullet design, and better results. I wouldn't need this much speed if I was shooting 400 yards and under. The Amax bullets are also more accurate in my 30 cal. magnums 300 win. & a 308 Norma. All guns shoot different, some like a certain bullet while others don't. Good luck hunting and shooting in 2018.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.