1 1/2 inch gun

92 hammer hunter. 41 gr h4895. Have tried Barnes and several jacketed bullets. Even changed scope. Currently leupold vx2. 3x9

The hammer is the best so far. .0050 jump
I'll refer to the Hammer guys. But I'd say you could see some improvement with their help. I would suggest you clean the bore of all copper fouling when switching to and from a mono bullet. That alone can help your accuracy. I think you would be fine out to 300 yards with your current accuracy.

Edit: The Hammers don't mind a jump and seem to work better with a crimp. You may try calling them for some direction. It seems like your accuracy isn't that bad and they most likely can make it better. Good luck.

Last edited:
My nicest gun is a older tikka in 280 rem. Bolt is like silk. Adjustable nice trigger. Shoots really well

My 6 mm rem and custom 280 ai are both Ruger 77 are really great shooters. Just not as nice as the tikka. My 77/22 is perfect

Just the model 77 in roberts is really bad
My Ruger 77 Hawkeye in 257 roberts shot 1 MOA right outta the box. Nothing done to it. So then just for fun, I put a Timney trigger on it, floated the barrel, pillar bedded it, and glass bedded it. I've shot more half inch groups with it with multiple bullets than I can remember. Perhaps I just got lucky.

I have a light weight Ruger that only shoots 1 to 1 1/2 two shot groups. How far can I shoot deer or hogs and still make ethical hits
If you are shooting inside 100 yards, figure out how to tighten the groups because there is a problem somewhere with either your shooting. the ammo, or the riifle.
What target distance are you shooting at now?
Shoot more rounds per group to determine what is really happening.
If you can't find the problem, use the velocity and factory load information to determine the optimum zero distance to give yourself the longest range that allows a Minimum Point Blank Range (MPR) of about 4 inches.
( I wrote this before logging in and learning there were four pages of replies.)

My Gunsmith , who is also a Lifetime Bench rest shooter, says that proper bedding and trigger work (or replacement,) are the first steps in the search for accuracy and precision for a hunting rifle. He thinks that for older ,medium grade, off the shelf rifles, these two steps will give the shooter the best return, for the cost involved. As all my rifles were purchased in the 70's and 80,s and only one is from 2021, I only own one rifle that came with the words "SUB MOA" on the box. All the others needed to be tuned, including a Model 70 Win Super Grade, and a Weatherby Mark V . Really happy with them!!! I agree with him, and I also think that adjusting your COAL and OGIVE lengths on your handloads may also be helpful to some small degree. If you are not satisfied with the improvements resulting from the Bedding and Trigger Work and adjusting your hand loads, then, of course, it's your choice to get a new High-Grade Barrel and have the receiver and bolt face blueprinted, and consider some new aftermarket stock, I my opinion, that's as far as one can take it.

Has been bedded and trigger work. And using hammer bullets. Hammers seemed to to help. It used to be over 2 inch at a hundred and now better

Has been bedded and trigger work. And using hammer bullets. Hammers seemed to to help. It used to be over 2 inch at a hundred and now better
Make sure the front angle screw is torqued to 90 inch pounds. I know it seems like a lot, but that is factory spec, and believe me, it makes a difference. On 2 of my Ruger 77's, it made a big difference. On my other 3 77's, it still made a difference, just not quite as obvious.